Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Kimberley holiday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

It is nice to get home after 17,700 kms around roughly half of Australia. Carrying an additional 50 litres of fuel made it a lot easier & less stressful! I wouldn't have minded a bit more for the Gibb River Road as they only sell 91 up there. In most situations one simply needs an additional 20 litres, but more fuel allows you to fill up in regional centres at cheaper prices.

Average fuel consumption 10.48 L/100 km, 2/3 98, 1/3 95 & once a small amount of 91. Average $1.71 litre. 1855 litres!

Best run was north from Tennant Creek 8.5 L/100 km with a range of 739 km after refilling, but the car had a 1 L/100 km tailwind!

Click image to enlarge

Worst was dirt roads to James Price Point & the East end of the Gibb River Road at around 14 L/100 km.

Esperance
Click image to enlarge

On the home stretch we filled up at Esperance, topped up at Norseman & made it to Penong with various small side trips. We probably would have made it to Ceduna but detouring to Fowler Bay would have been a close call with a very strong headwind.

Norseman
Click image to enlarge

Norseman
Click image to enlarge

Norseman
Click image to enlarge

Norseman end
Click image to enlarge

The west end of the Eyre hwy we had a tailwind & for the first quarter of the tank only used 7.8 L/100 km. Around Eucla the wind direction changed & we got a strong headwind. The average from Norseman to Penong was 9.2 L/100 km.

90 mile straight, but it goes up & down a lot!
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Passing truck
Click image to enlarge

The Eyre hwy was a much more enjoyable drive, also taking our time at 5 days than from Bourke up through Queensland which is about the same distance.

Sunset Madura Pass
Click image to enlarge

Sunrise Madura Pass
Click image to enlarge

West of Eucla. Getting 10 litre containers on & off the roof was easy with the cradle. Just so much easier than fiddling around with straps.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Great Australian Bight
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Nullarbor caves
Click image to enlarge

Nullarbor caves
Click image to enlarge

Condensation
Click image to enlarge

Auto detailing, think I will go elsewhere! Not sure if this one will pass your MOT test!
Click image to enlarge

Self explanatory!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cold morning, that's the excuse anyway!
Click image to enlarge

A few useful tools & modifications:

Bracket for tent poles etc in a gap behind water containers
Click image to enlarge

I will take less containers next time as it is easy to buy water as needed in town in 10 litre containers
Click image to enlarge

Repurposed 10 litre water container. Not ideal, but it is ok!
Click image to enlarge

Triple compressors with air gun in use!
Click image to enlarge

Coffee break!
Click image to enlarge

Back of car with net for hanging light items & two extinguishers at rear. Everything else sat in the front. The fridge sat on the passenger seat.
Click image to enlarge

Bell Gorge top view
Click image to enlarge

Bell Gorge bottom view!
Click image to enlarge

Detail!
Click image to enlarge

The fuel one needs to get to Bell Gorge!
Click image to enlarge

Adcock Gorge
Click image to enlarge

Flora & fauna Karijini NP
Click image to enlarge

Derby sunset
Click image to enlarge

Derby, a dozen cars with bullbar & aerial, one without!
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Awning & mosquito enclosure set up at James Price Point
Click image to enlarge

Although very well made the enclosure being next to the car is a pain to pin down in strong winds.
Click image to enlarge

Mt Isa Freelander convention!
Click image to enlarge

Exmouth, colour disagreement!
Click image to enlarge

Australian caravans! & this one was traveling at 115 kph as I found out when I tried to catch up!
Click image to enlarge

Crocodile Dundee Walkabout Creek Hotel
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #354566 7th Aug 2018 6:03 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Wow Shocked

My Mrs shocked me the other day by saying maybe when she stops working next year we should do a big OZ trip (she has never camped). I am more than happy to take it on but getting hold of the right motor is going to be a logistical nightmare. I may come back to you guys and pick your brains re that at some stage. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #354568 7th Aug 2018 6:59 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Brilliant trip, thanks for sharing the pictures.
Never seen an I4 Freelander before, wasnt aware there was a 4 cylinder petrol made at all, only rare I6 and Td/Sd4s over here. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #354589 8th Aug 2018 9:42 am
Lightwater

Thanks for the comments. It's hard work doing these trips. Need a holiday! Probably the two main things is to pace yourself, try not to travel too far each day. Also work out what you really do NOT need to take with you. You get better at this after a few shorter trips.

Winton dinosaur, only survived because it is older than I am!

Click image to enlarge

Awning mosquito enclosure. You had to be inside by 5:30 in Kakadu as overnight there were millions outside, the noise they all made! Never heard anything like it before, like a white noise drone!
Click image to enlarge

Mosquitoes queuing!
Click image to enlarge

Not only are the crocodiles in Kakadu dangerous! This one was about 2/3 the size of my hand sitting on the mosquito mesh..... outside! A few weeks later we had a smaller one inside the car. Managed to catch it & release well away from the car.
Click image to enlarge

Topend fly & mosquito swat!

One of two small water crossings into Purnululu NP. The 53 km road takes 2 hours with all the crests, blind corners & poor cambers, & being on guard for oncoming traffic. We had 14 vehicles on the way out, & they do not stick to the 50 kph request at the entrance! Or let their tyres down 10 PSI, that is another whole story!
Click image to enlarge

Gibb River Road river crossing
Click image to enlarge

Sawpit Gorge near Halls Creek
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

James Price Point
Click image to enlarge

James Price Point dinosaur foot prints at low tide, 8 metre tides here!
Click image to enlarge

LPG roadtrain. Hope they don't go off like on the Italian motorway!
Click image to enlarge

Singe lane bridge between Derby & Broome
Click image to enlarge

It's salt
Click image to enlarge

Lunch at Sandfire, it's about the only place between Broome & Port Hedland, 612 km!
Click image to enlarge

Burrup peninsular
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Port Hedland. I spoke to a worker & there are 3000 roadtrain movements on this road every day. 98 wheels on this one. Another conversation about flat tyres, a retired driver got 18 flat tyres in one incident!
Click image to enlarge

Albert Tognolini rest area, stay here before going into Karijini NP if coming down from the north
Click image to enlarge

Karijini Hancock Gorge
Click image to enlarge

Karijini Hamersley Gorge rock formations, the colours in this gorge are amazing.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Karijini
Click image to enlarge

Into the sun
Click image to enlarge

Away from the sun
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Outback airstrip
Click image to enlarge

Franciois Peron NP
Click image to enlarge

Redtailed Black Cockatoos
Click image to enlarge

Sunrise
Click image to enlarge

Corrigin dog cemetery
Click image to enlarge

Some previous dog participants in this cemetery
Click image to enlarge

Wave Rock
Click image to enlarge

Salmon Gums
Click image to enlarge

A screw missing due to corrugated roads!
Click image to enlarge

Dust under the black plastic strip
Click image to enlarge

The 2 studs on the body for the boot gas struts needed tightening up. Also blew a lot of dust out of the tiny temperature fan under the steering wheel. The boot hinges, heaps of dust in the two cavities in the bodywork.

Cooling the car as quick as possible for the night. We didn't use the free camps noted on wikicamps that much as they are too filthy & had far more flies, due to the filth. We got pretty good at spotting places to sleep for the night like this old gravel pit which was probably last used 10 years ago. We had a spade to bury number twos instead of leaving them lying around!
Click image to enlarge

Nullarbor sunset
Click image to enlarge

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #354687 9th Aug 2018 6:32 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Great pictures Thumbs Up Interesting fact for those that don't know, the Royal Flying Doctor Service is almost completely self funded via donations and doesn't charge for its services, they're free. We had a speaker come to our 4wd club and give a talk about them. I'm full of admiration and donate when I can out in the little bush towns and pubs.
On another note, if any of you are thinking of coming out and emulating this awesome trip, there are two things to keep in mind. Come in our winter time, the summer will kill you and a lot of the places in the north are closed. Winter is very pleasant here. The second thing is to be careful of the car rental company you choose. I've read some horror stories about Australian 4wd Hire where people have been hit with big bills when returning the cars. Do your research, join some forums such as exploroz.com.

Post #354763 10th Aug 2018 11:43 pm
Lightwater

............Thanks for the comments. Winter is the best time, but up north get it done before July to avoid the worst of the influx of Grey Nomads. Also be more remote in the lower profile National Parks during school holidays. No different to southern Europe!

Get a Hema map or 2, for example Western Australia https://shop.hemamaps.com/products/western...0067149942 so you get a better feel for distances & see the whole state in one go. & also for all the areas without mobile access. IE most of the state!

Click image to enlarge

Some of the best scenery in Australia is simply the night sky. You will look up every night, even more so on a moonless night, there are more starts than you can poke a stick at! If you have binoculars you can clearly see 3 to 4 moons orbiting Jupiter, at the right time of year, which are difficult to see in the city!

This photo was with a Canon G9X sat on the car roof on timer for 10 shots. I only stacked 4 of the shots in the attached photo to reduce sensor noise as there was little to gain stacking all 10 photos. ISO 400 F2.0 15 seconds per exposure. It's not the best camera for this sort of work but the Sony sensor has impressively low noise levels.

Southern Cross is 1/3 from the left & about 2/5 up from the bottom. The pointers to the Southern Cross bottom left
Click image to enlarge

720 x 480 crop from original 5436 x 3624 photo.
Click image to enlarge

On the third photo of the ten, I was fortunate to record a comet. It is very faint but one can just see the path it took between the two red crosses.
Click image to enlarge

We often slept overnight in gravel pits next to main roads. They do not sound nice but they are practical & often the best place to stop. You see a caravan or two pulled up in one about 4 pm for the end of the day. Often you can find the old disused gravel pits which are overgrow & look quite nice. They are all a maximum of 50 metres from the road unless they are the extra large ones.

We also got pretty good at not using the gravel pits marked on wikicamps as these were not as nice. Found a massive one between Wave Rock to Esperance.

Also transmission repeater towers are good places & you can get a bit further away from the road.

There are basically no cars or trucks through the entire night around Australia in the north, west & southwest.

Gravel pit
Click image to enlarge

Aerial view

Disused gravel pit
Click image to enlarge

Gravel pit
Click image to enlarge

Disused gravel pit
Click image to enlarge

Transmission repeater tower camp spot for the night along the endless roads!

General photos:

Exmouth
Click image to enlarge

Francios Peron NP
Click image to enlarge

Francios Peron NP Herald Bight Beach
Click image to enlarge

Near the Pinnacles
Click image to enlarge

Sawpit gorge
Click image to enlarge

Purnululu NP
Click image to enlarge

South of Camooweal
Click image to enlarge

Eagle circling for prey from the road!
Click image to enlarge

Post #354901 13th Aug 2018 6:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12