Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > eBay & Bargain Spots > scam on ebay?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 
scam on ebay?

just looking at possible vehicles for sale.

can i ask whats the scam involved when you see a vehicle advertised at such a cheap price, is it that the number to call is premium rate, as asks to call or text a mobile

Post #350076 23rd May 2018 8:25 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm not sure but I have seen the adds too. I suspect it is either a premium rate number or a way of gathering phone numbers for marketing companies. Eiither way don't be tempted to call them.

Post #350079 23rd May 2018 8:38 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

i never do, they only seem to have been registered for a short period of time and have never sold anything, sometimes as a classified ad.

I was just curious as what the scam was

Post #350081 23rd May 2018 8:49 pm
mike2017

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

It is that they convince you to part with your cash and the vehicle never turns up.
The supposed safety of a 3rd party escrow company proves to be a smokescreen.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/person...is-it.html

Post #350087 23rd May 2018 9:12 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

They tend to be PAYG mobiles so not easily traced. They also advertise loads of different high end or desirable /collectable vehicles at bargain basement prices to tempt you in.
I was tempted a few years ago when this scam first surfaced , by a vehicle that had been fully restored and worth around £12K , but up as a quick sale for £3800. It was on eBay as a Buy it Now. It sounded too good to be true so I asked for further details by using eBay's "message the seller" feature rather than call a mobile number - trace-ability via eBay that way.. I was then told it was for sale as part of the seller's dead brother's estate and that if I wanted it I needed to pay via Paypal immediately and they would even arrange free delivery as the vehicle was in Scotland. "Great, have you got a Land Line number so I can call you?" "Sorry, but we live in Spain, (UK mobile number though?) but we can arrange everything for you if you pay by Paypal." "Sounds like a scam", I wrote back . "I assure you it's not and you've always got Paypal's money back guarantee if I'm scamming you". The ad lasted around 24 hours, giving the impression that it had been sold......... however, I did some more digging and found that the vehicle had indeed sold - 6 months before for £12.5K and the pics and part of the description in the eBay ad were lifted directly from the original ad.

The latest scam involves the same MO. But this time they are all Classified Ads, for sale on behalf of an "Uncle" who doesn't have eBay access but has loads of vehicles at bargain basement prices. Usually just lifted from legitimate eBay auctions that have ended. The giveaway is the number of vehicles the person has for sale, coupled with the fact that none of the pics are in the same locations.
There will ALWAYS be gullible or greedy people who just cannot let something like this go, they will pay the money via Paypal and never see their money again. It only takes 1 person to be so blinded by a perceived bargain.
The scammers set up bogus accounts with Paypal using overseas bank accounts , and close them once someone has been reeled in so they cannot be traced. It's that simple .

Post #350088 23rd May 2018 9:50 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

thanks for that but why would anybody pay for a vehicle without seeing it, people must be really sucked in.

The ones ive seen are only one car available and one item for sale, but registration is never shown, out of curiosity i emailed ebay but they said they hadnt breached anything

Post #350094 24th May 2018 5:59 am
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

looks like another scam but this time they showing the actual reg, hope its not anyone on here reg being LR10 VHF for just over 5k with 42kmiles and fsh i be annoyed if they were using photos of my car

Post #351258 11th Jun 2018 2:19 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just been talking to my niece who is a student and has a part time job in a bureau de change in a supermarket. She had a host of stories about middle aged guys coming in asking if they can transfer money to young ladies (promised to marry them) in the Philippines etc or wanting to send money to help someone in Nigeria who had sent them an email. She said that it was a real eyeopener to her to see so many people being scammed. They have training to spot things like money laundering where people come in with a pile of foreign cash to turn into another currency and come back 20 minutes later to change it all back in sterling or euros.
PS she has a panic button Very Happy 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #351286 11th Jun 2018 6:29 pm
inneedofhelp

United Kingdom 

i know i was landed with a 500 euro note, got it back on a holiday rental deposit, never again.

ended up getting sister in law to pay for hotel stay with it

I didnt even know they existed, hope know one gets scammed on ebay with that freelander

Post #351295 11th Jun 2018 7:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1