Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > [LED]DTRL ILO FogLights (UK)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

ttc546 wrote:
errmm ... you can't put the foglights on by themselves. You have to have the Dipped beam on. So why have the LED's if you already have the Dips On?

The front fog lights are only interlocked to the side lights, its only the rear fog lights that are interlocked to the dipped headlaights... well thats how they function on my car. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #35271 22nd Jan 2009 4:39 pm
avtur

dick wrote:
avtur wrote:
IMHO I find fog lights to be very little use.

I always thought front fog lights (like the rears) are there so all the other idiots on the road can see you when it's foggy.

- Dick

Fair comment, I've only ever looked at the front fogs as being a driver aid, if used with dipped headlamps (as I understand they are supposed to be - perhaps I'm wrong) then dipped headlamps are already on to help other people see you. Don't misunderstand me I fully agree with the idea of lights being there to see AND be seen. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #35272 22nd Jan 2009 4:45 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

Switch operation governs it:
Fog lights on with side and/or dip beam.
Driving lights only with main (not avail on FL2).

Light intensity also has something to do with it too. I'll do some digging...

Using either inappropriately can add 3pts to your licence!

Post #35283 22nd Jan 2009 7:08 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

OK, I see further comments have been arriving whislt Ive been gone.... Thumbs Up

I also find front Fog light pretty useless....This is the 1st car I've ever owned thats actuallly got them.IF its ever foggy, I'll use Dipped-beam, like I have for the last 20-odd years I been driving.

Im trying to resist using dipped-beam as DTRL, due to the economy hit (supposedly a few%) This is why most (all?) modern Manufactorers used a reduce power. Volvo for example use I THINK about 60-70% DutyCycle as the reduction in light output is not really noticable during daylight hours, and gives a noticable increase in economy. I admit thats using offical economy tests & not real-world driving. '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #35320 23rd Jan 2009 7:04 am
avtur

mburton2 wrote:

Im trying to resist using dipped-beam as DTRL, due to the economy hit (supposedly a few%)

Just a couple of points I would make. Certainly there is an energy requirement using dipped head lights as DTRL and that requirement may well be greater than say the system on new Audi's with just the front end LED array.

However I do think that the difference is quite marginal to the point where I'm not sure it could be detected in fuel economy. I've posted many, many times about fuel ecconomy and have covered more mile than most in my FL2 (50,000 miles now) I have achieved good economy and have used dipped headlamps for all of those miles. I achieved my highest mileage on a single tank (656) on a daytime drive using both with headlamps and aircon. Also have used upgraded bulbs in the dipped headlamps for most of the miles too. So personally I'm not pursuaded against using dipped headlamps as DTRL, plus its the easiest option!

Even if there was a quantifiable cost associated with using dipped headlamps as DTRL I would continue to use them on the basis that its a decision about personal safety. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #35337 23rd Jan 2009 11:52 am
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Absolutely agree about the safety factor.....I just want the best of ALL worlds! Whistle '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #35339 23rd Jan 2009 12:25 pm
avtur

mburton2 wrote:
Absolutely agree about the safety factor.....I just want the best of ALL worlds! Whistle

No harm in that .... do you shop at that place "where every little helps" too ? Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #35365 23rd Jan 2009 4:23 pm
avtur

Re: [LED]DTRL ILO FogLights (UK)

avtur wrote:
mburton2 wrote:
Ive purchased some bright H11 LEDS from ebay identical to ebay item eBay Item No. 200301446606

I've replaced the 55w Halogen bulbs with these, with the intention of using them as a Day Time Running Light substitue

Which bulb are you replacing to use as daytime running light?

Just for info ... I've driven all my miles in the FL2 using dipped headlamp as daytime running light, most of the time with upgraded bulbs. I got 25,000 out the Halfrauds Brilliance (+50%) bulbs before the first one failed. I then fitted a pair of Brilliance +90%, currently I'm at 5000 miles with these.

Spoke too soon, just lost one of the +90%'s ...... lasted 3 months, 6000 miles ....ooops Big Cry

Discovered it just as i was about to set off on 250 mile night drive. Couldn't find the spare (put it in a safe place ... and forgot where!) Anyway 5 minutes and a 10mm spanner saw the main beam bulb swapped to the dipped unit. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #35939 1st Feb 2009 11:17 am
r.helgason

Iceland 

if u gonna drife in fog then is best to use YELLOW bulbs like this

PIAA’s patented Ion Crystal technology is a great way to improve your visibility in inclement weather. Ion Crystal puts out an amber/yellow light that is less reflective than white light thus greatly reducing the amount of glare in extreme fog.

or lamp like this

520 SERIES
PIAA’s number one selling lamp – period. Without question the number one best selling truck lamp on the market today. The 520 compliments more brush guards than any other lamp available. The reason? Simply the best combination of fashion and performance in its class no brush guard should be without a set of PIAA 520s! DETAILS

Thay are great in fog and Snow when u can not sy muts in extreme wether

Post #36225 4th Feb 2009 7:36 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

What makes a fog light a fog light? It all depends on the height above or below the front bumper line. Which makes me wonder how LR get away with having front fogs and the optional integrated driving lights, as in all their modern cars, at the same level. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #36294 4th Feb 2009 6:59 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

my golf had 'fog lights' integrated into the front headlights At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #36296 4th Feb 2009 7:14 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I thought the difference was the beam pattern.

Where fog lights try to light the road under the fog.

Thats what I thought anyway

Post #36310 4th Feb 2009 9:49 pm
r.helgason

Iceland 

I drive muts in fog and snow and boring wether with mebe 1-2 meters wew in front of the car on my old Freelander i have a fogligt its best to have the lamp above in the same higt at the grill then u have the best use for the lamp in fog and snow

the orginal fog ligt is not fog ligt it is just a for the looks i thense the bulp in my car and put extreme wite bulp 80W

Post #36312 4th Feb 2009 10:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12