Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Myssys

Romania 
Some questions for buying an used FL2

Hi to all.
I'm looking at buying an used FL2 and i have read some things about the car:
- the clutch is undersized and it chews it quite fast ( is there an aftermarket alternative like carbon fiber or kevlar reenforced? )
- rust in the engine compartment, something about some aluminum parts ( can anyone explain the isue? )
- DPF, are all engines equipted with it? ( if i buy a tester to force a regeneration, will it work? )
- hard start under -5 degrees ( can you resoft the ECU for colder places like Russia or Norway? )
- diesel with an automated gearbox ( yay, nay or you can live with it? ), i will do some towing also with the car.

Also if there is anything that i should know?
Thank you for your time

Post #345899 26th Mar 2018 1:45 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

A few thoughts...

The FL2 is probably Landrover's most reliable car to date.

The autobox is great for towing, off-roading and ordinary driving - much better than the manual IMO. Going very slow off-road without a low range box is so much easier with an automatic and with a manual gearbox.
Also you dont have to worry about burning out the clutch.

I'm on my 3rd FL2 - corrosion has not been an issue for me. I dont live by the sea but we have a lot of farm muck on the roads around here. I clean underneath with a jet spray regularly ( a Nilfisk jetspray adapter). The FL2 does not suffer the corrosion issues of older Landrovers with an aluminium body mounted on a steel chassis.

People has said on this forum that cold starting in severe conditions is not an issue if your car is well maintained.

Dont buy a diesel with PDF if you do a lot of short journeys - get something else. Jules

Post #345931 26th Mar 2018 7:32 pm
Myssys

Romania 

During the weekend i will do 100 mile journey, but when i cant i would like to force a regeneration with a tester. Is that posibile?
Also i will be dooing a lot of kitesurfing, so for me rust is a concern ( spray of sea wather, sand, mud).

Post #345935 26th Mar 2018 8:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I dont know anything about forced regeneration - never needed it but pretty certain its possible.

I dont think sea water will rot a FL2 faster than any other car - its evil stuff as far as steel is concerned. maybe you should try a Delorean _ they were made of stainless steel Laughing Jules

Post #345942 26th Mar 2018 10:38 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Myssys wrote:

Also i will be dooing a lot of kitesurfing, so for me rust is a concern ( spray of sea wather, sand, mud).

I think a Freelander 2 is too heavy to kitesurf Whistle

OK back to reality:

Any car made of "tin" is going to give you the same issue if subjected to sea air and rough elements. I watched cars in Saudi Arabia rot from the top down due to 100% humidity near the Gulf.

Clutches are fine and no worse than any other vehicle. Failure is more likely due to drivers slipping them than poor design.

DPF is going to be on all later cars from all manufacturers throughout Europe so you can't beat the system or you buy a older car or a petrol vehicle. You do not need to force regeneration constantly and it would dissipate your oil so much you would destroy the engine in double quick time. It needs a monthly journey to warm through, say 30 miles

Cold starts in UK are fine if you keep the heater plugs and battery in condition or if super cold abroad you buy one with a pre warmer system. But once again in that market for any car it is the same issue ! You could get a blow torch and warm the sump every morning but check with your insurance company first Rolling Eyes (old trick with early diesel Series Land Rovers).

Car will tow well within the vehicle limits be it Auto or manual box. Older the car / higher mileage its going to nearer its towing shelf life and again the same as any other vehicle ever made.

At the end of the day its a car and like all cars they are as reliable as any other and more so if you spend more on pre servicing than you do on fancy wheels etc. Picking the right used one is going to be your biggest issue and you are in long line of others wanting to do the same. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #345950 27th Mar 2018 7:19 am
Myssys

Romania 

Not the car will be kitesurfing but me, i need it to carry my boards 😎

All in all, thank you all for the replays

Post #345957 27th Mar 2018 8:11 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1