« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Auto wipers and lights are not functioning properly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
Auto wipers and lights are not functioning properly

Just noticed that my auto wipers and lights are not functioning properly.

Lights are set to Auto yet they are on in daylight even though its been bright today.

Wipers are set to Auto but are working on the intermittent setting even though no rain.

I have checked the windscreen and its clean, sensors are clearly visible with not obstructions.

Anyone have any ideas before I contact LR.

Cheers in advance

Chris

Post #34856 16th Jan 2009 9:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

dirty/cracked windscreen, causing rain sensor to put the wipers on, they register the amount of light been reflected by the windscreen, dirt built up like rain reflects this light making the sensor think its raining

over cast day causing daylight sensor to switch lights on, whilst driving in a shadow etc, mine have been on most of the day Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #34859 16th Jan 2009 10:06 pm
chris8of9

Cheers Nick, but your points were my first thoughts to. I have checked the windscreen, its clean, intact, no cracks and the sensors are not obstructed at all.

The wipers are defiantly not working on automatic. When switched to automatic they are working on the intermittent setting only, clue is they are to regularly timed between wipes. It was dry this morning so I switched the wipers off to stop them wiping, however it was raining this afternoon and when I put the wipers onto auto they continued to work intermittently, regular timing, and not enough to keep the screen clear enough to drive. I had to revert to changing the wiper speed manually.

The lights should not have been on this morning, the light levels were excellent all morning and lights still on.

My thoughts are sensor failure or software fault. Is there anyway to reset the wiper and lights system, similar to resetting the auto down windows ?

Post #34865 16th Jan 2009 10:26 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I have exactly the same issues since I had the heater disconnected, also the headlamp washers are not working. Have you checked yours yet? Taking mine in for the new heater job doing so will mention it then

Post #34906 17th Jan 2009 3:26 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Has your alarm been working OK - I had an alarm fault (the sounder was eventually changed), that made the Auto lights and wipers malfunction in the way you describe. See

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2335.html?highlight=

for more details. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #34920 17th Jan 2009 5:46 pm
chris8of9

The alarm has gone off twice in the month so might be connected to the lights / wipers fault.

Car is booked in for heater recall next week, will get the dealer to investigate.

Cheers

Chris

Post #34927 17th Jan 2009 6:15 pm
nicam

Ask your dealer to check for the known problem with the BBS (battery backed sounder). After mine was changed - No more problems!! Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #34960 18th Jan 2009 11:16 am
chris8of9

Had the car to the dealers today to fit the New Aux Heater (nice and warm now).

When I dropped it off I gave them a list of things to check together with any relevant service bulletin numbers. Got the response 'oh no not one of those customers who trawls the internet looking for problems again' (in a joking tone), 'no' I replied 'just a customer who likes to be informed and try to make my visits here as few as possible'.

On the positive side the faulty wipers and lights have been confirmed as being caused by the battery backed sounder. New part on order.

Other things I asked to be checked.

1. Wear to B pillars (LTB00129). Was advised that although my vehicle was not within the chassis number catchment as defined in the service bulletin, they have ordered replacement parts.

2. Leaking high level rear brake light. New unit ordered.

3. Parking sensors activating constantly in rain (intermittent). No fault code logged and they asked if I can pop in when it happens (seems a standard response looking at other posts).

4. Confirm crankcase breather pipe had been changed (Q007). I was presented with a print out from LR of the previous service actions undertaken. Action confirmed. It would have been easier if the service booklet had been filled out by the garage who done the previous recall work (before I owned the car).

In addition a fault code was logged in one of the lamp units (not sure which). New part on order.

Overall I am very happy with their responses (apart from the parking sensors) and the car came back clean. The service booklet has also been filled in to confirm the recall action undertaken with regards the booster heater replacement.

Thanks for your invaluable input nicam

Chris

Post #35628 26th Jan 2009 11:46 pm
nicam

You`re welcome! If they made cars without faults we wouldn`t need to pass on the fixes, would we!
Very Happy
When you get the new door pillars fitted, I believe that a coat of clear nail varnish on the "rubbing" point stops the problem recurring. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #35640 27th Jan 2009 1:50 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

chris8of9 wrote:

.........When I dropped it off I gave them a list of things to check together with any relevant service bulletin numbers. Got the response 'oh no not one of those customers who trawls the internet looking for problems again' (in a joking tone), 'no' I replied 'just a customer who likes to be informed and try to make my visits here as few as possible'..........
Chris

Yes I've had that, its the rottweiller on reception thats the problem, IF I can get to speak with the service manager he is very helpful and more than happy to share information he may have. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #35641 27th Jan 2009 2:09 pm
Alona

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Got my heater done last week. Was told that my lights were staying on and required a new battery backup sounder.

All the audio also goes through this as well i was told.

On back order from LR. Yawn 08 FL2 SE TD4 manual,Santorini Black, Factory fitted Black Tinted Glass, Anti-Tesco Trolly Side Protection, bebe confort axiss carseats & Cargo barrier to stop twin's buggy & junk coming through. NO Sweets Crisps or Drinks inside.
WITH TWINS, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY Smile Now towing a Abbey Vouge 650 1800kg

Tug weight 1958kg + Roofrails & Towbar

Post #35642 27th Jan 2009 2:24 pm
chris8of9

Battery backed sounder has now been replaced and the auto lights and wipers are now fully functioning.

B pillar trims have not arived, on back order from LR.
New high level brake light unit fitted.
New rear lamp cluster fitted.
They also fitted the side protection tubes I got. Charged me £70 plus VAT to fit them.
Car was cleaned.

Cheers

Chris

Post #36397 5th Feb 2009 6:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1