« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > icy/slippery roads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
icy/slippery roads

ive been watching a program about controlling a slide on ice,im sure the guy said dip the clutch,and obviously steer into the slide,definitely no breaking.but its the clutch dipping im not sure about,especially on a 4x4.i know you off road experts will know,my experiences are just in the field,pulling out stuck quads Sheep Sheep and tractors,not 4 wheel drifting /slides

Post #342026 10th Feb 2018 10:43 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I am sure that this advice is about trying to maintain some steering control by allowing the wheels to rotate. (in old fashioned cars)

As I understand it the FL2 is much more sophisticated and has all manner of electronic aids to do their best to correct slippery conditions. The most obvious being anti lock braking which works on individual wheels.

I think the best advice for driving a FL2 is to select the appropriate Terrain Response Mode and drive carefully and sympathetically to the road conditions. If you don't then weight and momentum will take you places that you hadn't intended. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #342030 11th Feb 2018 12:14 am
Largered

In inclement weather I drive as if the vehicle is NOT going to assist me as the driver.

Then should the vehicle decide to assist do I get a small benefit, as opposed to thinking the vehicle is going to do everything for me.

Old Boy driving is best.

I often think how will our children and grandchildren survive, not knowing how to properly drive a basis vehicle ?

With all this self parking, do the modern generation know how to park a car ????

Good Luck to them Thumbs Up

Post #342031 11th Feb 2018 12:50 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A couple of years ago in outback NSW the road dirt road was so slippery that the car slid down the road's camber from standing still. There was nothing one could do until the car hit the scrub so the tyres could get some grip.

Some photos here of red roads & the mud in the wheel arch from the wet roads.
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27606.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #342034 11th Feb 2018 5:21 am
EYorkshire

Yesterday I happened to join in with other cars as we slid and pirouetted around a big roundabout, no-one noticed the rainbow colouring on the wet cold road surface, it was bedlam with vehicles nudging each other and facing the wrong way, the FL2 was no exception in losing its line.
Yes its line was lost but nowhere near as bad as the others, I have the auto and with no input from me and the steering wheel still in position to go around the roundabout, all of a sudden there was the noise of the operating of the individual wheel brakes to try and keep the line the steering wheel was positioned at. It did a great job and did it immediately, nearly before I realised it happening and this in normal driving mode. My thanks to its Stability/Traction control.
On exiting the roundabout I could see the chaos in my rear view mirror, and assumed a vehicle had leaked its fuel onto the wet cold overnight road.

Post #342039 11th Feb 2018 10:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1