Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Steering column lock issue.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mikes52

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Indus Silver
Steering column lock issue.

I know that this has been covered before on this site and others (i've read them all!)There are lots episodes of this happening but there is no one cause. Lots of different items to change or reprogram but my question here is what is the cause?
I live in Bega NSW and it seems I will have to ship the car to Canberra. There seems to be three possible repairers. Lenocks (the main dealership), Series Workshop and Roverworld. Does anybody have opinion as to which will do the best job or any that I have missed who you recommend?

To give some background its a TD4e 100000ks 2009. Parked the car, then returned to it. Put fob in slot, pressed go and nothing at all. All lights on dashboard lit up as usual. Words on LCD screen "starting column locked". Called NRMA and got car towed to local garage. Vehicle scanned resets done to no avail. The column is not locked, I can move wheel.

I've tried reseting capacitors by holding + and - cables together as well.

Anybody got something helpful, would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Post #341081 31st Jan 2018 10:47 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

This is on the internet

STEERING COLUMN LOCK

The vehicle has an electronic steering column lock that is deactivated when the remote control is inserted in the docking port. Note: It may be necessary to rotate the steering wheel slightly to release the locking mechanism. If the steering column lock does not disengage the engine will not start and STEERING COLUMN LOCKED will be displayed in the message center.

Page 12 of the handbook.

Also there is a Technical Bulletin

LTB00290

Subject/Concern: Steering Column Locked Message Appear

VIN-range: H113897 Onwards

Summary:
The Central Junction Box (CJB) periodically checks the status of steering column lock by polling the instrument cluster. On occasions, the instrument cluster does not respond appropriately and this may lead to the erroneous message Steering Column Locked being displayed even though the steering column is unlocked and functioning normally.

Cause: Software within the Instrument Pack

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...ering-lock FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #341084 31st Jan 2018 11:52 pm
mikes52

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Indus Silver

Perhaps I should follow up on this thread as I started it.

Since the initial incident, it has reoccured once more! Both times the car has had to be shipped to Canberra @ $400 per time.

It went to an independent operator who was as perplexed as I.

First time he unplugged the steering lock itself under the steering column, replugged it and away she went. Next time he re crimp the wires to the plug.

Since then all has been well.

BUT I live on tenterhooks every time I get into the car and wonder if it will go! Occasionally I will here a clicking noise in the centre console. When I hear this I back the fob out wait 15 seconds and try again. Its happened twice and that procedure has sorted it out.

BTW I did talk to L/R in Canberra and they were not helpful.
I did point out the Technical bulletin number and they weren't aware of it and wanted my to bring the car in for them to check. I was not keen to do this as I could see the dollars getting out of hand.

Post #355717 28th Aug 2018 10:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1