Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Finally Seen The Light ........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Largered

Finally Seen The Light ........

RAC says new headlights 'blinding drivers'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43525525

Post #345728 24th Mar 2018 5:19 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I fitted super bright lights to one of my cars and changed them back. They were a pain in the bum.

Reflective road signs would dazzle you and you didn't get the advantage of seeing other cars lights coming around corners as my bright lights would completely obliterate any clue there were other lights near by.

Post #345729 24th Mar 2018 5:31 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

OK not a FL2 but the DS has bl**dy bright discharge lights (I was happy with the two halogens on the old 2008 FL2), these are kept nice and low because the car has ride height sensors - but - the car also has "intelligent" high-beam. Where the mirror is mounted is a camera that detects other users, if I am driving down an unlit road it will automatically apply high beam, unfortunately it considers the M56 as an unlit road, and so applies high beam even if there is traffic on the opposite carriageway.
Sometimes does it when I leave a decent gap between me and the car in front, and always at the crest of hills.

Double whammy for other motorists, ultra bright discharge lighting and high beam.
Maybe, just maybe, one gadget too many?
I have very good night vision (struggle with bright sunlight) so can appreciate the blinding effect and turn off the "auto" headlight function - lots of others don't. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #345763 25th Mar 2018 1:50 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I had auto Main beam HID headlights on my BMW. They were really irritating as they took too long to go back to main beam from dipped after a oncoming vehicle had past by.
But the worst was that they would randomly switch to dipped when they picked up the reflections from chevrons - just what you need on a fast bend with eyes adjusted to a very bright main beam - NOT !!
After a while I just turned the function off and they remained off for the next 5 years.

They were also adaptive and turned with the corners - but could not turn fast enough to keep up with a series of fast S bends and so would transiently be pointing the wrong way.

Im so glad my FL2 has none of these "advances" Jules

Post #345831 25th Mar 2018 5:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1