Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Second hand values
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I have to agree with Avtur, worst MPG solo was 37.5 on a tankful,
Best was 48.5
Towing the caravan is a different story, down to Spain and back I averaged 21.0 but at times 80 to 90 mph , That's 1500kg of van and 3 bikes on the roof .

Post #34366 10th Jan 2009 8:25 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Mav71 wrote:
The Land Rover quoted firgures are not at all right, when I bought mine, the salesman even told me to ignore the stated combined figure of 37.7mpg and expect more like 33mpg combined.

Thats what I have been getting. There is always some one who claims to get more than the manufacturers figures Very Happy Wink

Landrover's figures are spot on. The 37.7 combined assumes you never go over 70mph, the legal speed limit in the UK and drive efficiently (not thrashing it). I regulary get 37/38 on my commute and +42mpg on long runs, go over 2,000rpm and 70mph and the mpg comes down, fast.

My previous car was an RX8 and even trying to drive sensibly, I could barely get over 20mpg versus 24mpg manufactures, so I thrashed it and got 17mpg Twisted Evil The Landie is a big heavy rectangular estate car that isn't set up for a track, so I drive in a different manner & get good mpg. A heavy right foot and you'll struggle to get 35mpg.

Post #34446 11th Jan 2009 9:39 pm
bilen123

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I agree, brochure MPG for FR2 is most definately not the real world for me (unless I have a 'dud' car)
I own a BMW 330i AUTO and my MPG is pretty accurate

Full tank gives us a range of 350miles - is that normal? Normally I take brouchure MPG and knock it down 10% so for the FR2 (25.7 - 2 = 23.7)...but the tripomter is saying 21.9

Post #34478 12th Jan 2009 1:14 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
low mpg?

Well in 18 mths I've had very consistent average mpg from my SE auto of 31. The worst average on a full tank was 29 mpg. I drive normally and include town and motorway driving. So I'm not a little bemused about the incredibly low mpgs some owners here are getting. Is it the FL2 or the driver at fault? Shocked Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #34541 13th Jan 2009 12:34 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i often have 18-21mpg on the clock, cold starts and fast short journeys don't help at all in a FL2

Doesn't bother me though Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #34544 13th Jan 2009 12:48 am
edh

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

I've tried driving my TD4 in so many different ways, sometimes with such a light right foot I feel I should have qualified for my pension. On a journey I have never got an mpg above 36 and that was with a replacement wheel after a puncture and I never got above 60mph. My car has even been back to the dealer to road test and check for faults (re the mpg), where I was told that nothing was wrong and an average mpg was around 30!! (That's Hunters in Guildford). I honestly believe that some engines just deliver different outputs. It's unfortunate I seem to have one at the wrong end of the economy scale! I'm now considering getting an economy tune done even though the car is only 1yr into it's warranty. 08 Santorini Black HSE manual with DAB and privacy glass

Post #34970 18th Jan 2009 3:04 pm
ucla95

2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

This site is 95% British but I'll give a Yank's perspective on this from across the pond (plus I grew up in the UK so I can relate).

I purchased my 2008 FL2 HSE (it's petrol and an auto as all are here in the USA, and fully loaded with SatNav etc) new just in October 2008 for $38,000. We've had some troubles with the vehicle so I took it in for a trade-in quote. It now has 2100 miles and in perfect condition and the dealers offered me $28,000 for it.

Here in the USA Land Rovers have the very worst depreciation of any luxury car maker, worse than Jag, worse than Merc, etc.

Post #34995 19th Jan 2009 1:37 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

In Belgium they seem to hold there price very good. It's very difficult to find a FL2 second hand with more then 20% off. If you know that when you enter a dealership here, they nock of 6% anyway, that number easily becomes somehere close to 15%.
Speaking of cars youger then 1 year old.
The dealership accounts a 1% drop in value per month, so they are a little too optimistic.

They do seem to stay unsold quite some time but that's becouse of the so called crisis i think as new ones aren't selling also apparently.

They are still a rare sight and I work near our capital. I think I see one per week only so...

Most peolple here regards them also as pretty high class anyway, so it's mostly never a consideration for the average person. Personally i think you can't beat its price/value with any other car out there wright now.

I'll be buying mine new tomorrow because I simply cannot find one equiped and colored like I want and I got some 15% of the list price. Even second hand some coparable cars are more expensive, mostly becouse of a free package worth 3330 euros the importer adds.

Fully equiped its list price is about 44k, and am now down to 37.5k + on LR Experience Day. Plan to drive 100k kms / 62.5k miles in 5 years with it, selling it for about 10k after that, unless my wife wants it, then we'll keep it until it falls apart as she uses her car only if mine is not available.

Post #35345 23rd Jan 2009 2:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Carnoch

Short journeys, road topology, junctions, roundabouts, electrics, passengers, load etc all account for mpg fluctuations. I have a FL2 and a Disco 3, the FL2 delivers early 30mpg, the Disco 28'ish mpg, but then it's only done 1k miles and it is the Higlands of Scotland we are talking here, plus 2.5 tons of metal and 7 seats. I did comparisons with the like of Volvo XC90, another 5 mpg and with my mileage, 10k a year, it wouldn't be prudent to because although it sounds a lot, in reality, it's only another £270 per year or £810 for 3 years.

Changing cars is expensive, so if you have one hang onto it for a couple of years at least. If the mpg really annoys you, go for an engine remap, but again at £300-£500, you'd have to do a few miles to make the price worth while.

Post #37279 17th Feb 2009 6:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12