Home > Technical > Freelander 2 Airbags and key fob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Yazza54

United Kingdom 
Freelander 2 Airbags and key fob

Hi all

Today I have acquired a 64 Freelander 2 metropolis with some fairly minor front end damage, the steering wheel airbag has blown which is easy enough but just wondering on the easiest way to repair the passenger side.

As you can imagine it’s got a big hole in the dash with the bag hanging out. All the kits from breakers on eBay come with a complete dash but I’m hoping I can take the top panel off the dash and replace that along with the airbag and Gubbins from the doner dash, rather than replacing the whole dash which looks somewhat epic... won’t save any money but will be much easier to do.

Anyone know if that’s possible? I’ve seen an exploded diagram and a it doesn’t show the top piece as being available separate but that doesn’t mean it can’t be removed - after all some have different coloured trim so it must come apart from the main dash carcass somehow.

Also how do I know if pre tensioners have gone, do they usually go if any airbags have blown? They don’t appear to be particularly expensive but would be nice to know how to tell anyway.

One other thing I’ve noticed, the key fob buttons didn’t seem to work earlier when I tried to lock it after loading it on the trailer. It started fine with the fob in my pocket so it’s obviously detecting it, assume this is just a dead battery in the fob or is there any re synchronising process needed for the fob? It has had the battery to be charged so I could drive it on the trailer maybe that’s why.

Any help would be brill..!

Post #339956 20th Jan 2018 1:57 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I seem to recall reading on here about an electronic crash module that unlocks the car when airbags go off or other impact sensors are detected.
You should have all the modules read professionally as I suspect the airbags will need to be electronically reset also
Can't help with your dash question other than to say my gut feeling is you will need to replace it all and not just the blow out section.
Good Luck No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #339959 20th Jan 2018 3:29 pm
Tigertim

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

As like my freelander I’ve bought and repaired many cars with damage, most only lightly bumped but many where airbags have go off and had to replace all bags ,curtain airbags etc reset module and most needed a complete dash as the whole lot is complete and very few cars have a separate panel on pass side. if you can read the codes in the srs module it will list all items fired ... the seatbelt tensioner is actually in the reel and usually when they have been fired they will not reel back and remain in the position they locked up . Generally you buy the full kit from a breakers and swap seat belt reels complete dash and drivers bag then reset srs module or send it off for crash data to be removed £30ish then hopefully the airbag light goes out . It’s not that difficult but time consuming and you have to be very methodical with all clips fasteners and connectors etc . Take front seats out to give plenty of room . Virtually all cars with airbag deployment are written off even if damage is not that bad and I’ve had some lovely cars at a fraction of the retail cost .

Post #339967 20th Jan 2018 6:26 pm
Yazza54

United Kingdom 

Pre tensioners have definitely triggered as they are reeled back.

Fob just needed a battery thankfully sorted that. Just all the difficult stuff left to do haha

Post #339983 20th Jan 2018 8:59 pm
Largered

Yazza54,

Just come on eBay ........ and its on your door step Smile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Free...SwOA1Z9hpX

Got to be worth a look, even if the price isn't right ????

Good Luck.

Post #340039 21st Jan 2018 3:14 pm
Yazza54

United Kingdom 

Cheers I’ll send him a message

I have spoke to a guy on eBay who’s breaking a HSE that has everything I need too, not on my door step unfortunately but may be best just getting everything I need in one hit. Basically need a full front bumper with sensors etc and any brackets, radiator pack, dash, steering wheel bag and pre tensioners. No idea if I need belts too. Thankfully the car was a good price and the bits aren’t too dear

Post #340040 21st Jan 2018 3:33 pm
Yazza54

United Kingdom 

Largered wrote:
Yazza54,

Just come on eBay ........ and its on your door step Smile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Free...SwOA1Z9hpX

Got to be worth a look, even if the price isn't right ????

Good Luck.

Done a deal with the fella, collecting tomorrow.. hope it’s as nice as it looks

Post #340832 29th Jan 2018 6:50 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Yazza54 wrote:
Cheers I’ll send him a message

I have spoke to a guy on eBay who’s breaking a HSE that has everything I need too, not on my door step unfortunately but may be best just getting everything I need in one hit. Basically need a full front bumper with sensors etc and any brackets, radiator pack, dash, steering wheel bag and pre tensioners. No idea if I need belts too. Thankfully the car was a good price and the bits aren’t too dear

Did you sort it out? do you need to change hole dash just because of passanger side airbag?

i have project going on and wondering this too, or is it possible just to glue or switch this little panel on dashboard?

Post #429250 26th Jan 2023 6:31 am
Gissit

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

You can pick up a very good Autel AP200 fault reader for under £70. This will be very useful and will tell you which airbag and tensioner have deployed. Once they are all done and reset you will likely get another code to say it has crash data and is locked. You can not reset that one. You will need to send off the ecu for a reset after that. I am just going through that now after some fast learning about how these things work

Post #429436 30th Jan 2023 12:31 am
j00ppis

Finland 

Did you send your SRS ecu to reset?
How is your project going on?

ive just got website where to order new windscreen vin number to my dash
vinlabels.co.uk

thanks to one user on here.

Post #435947 28th Sep 2023 8:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1