Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Turbo whine / split intercooler hose?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dippy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
Turbo whine / split intercooler hose?

Hi. I've got an MY11 SD4 which I've only had for a few months. I've read a number of posts regarding split hoses etc and I have a noise on mine that I've put down to turbo whine and this is normal?
Do you get a faint whine from around 1800rpm? Like I say, this sounds more like the turbo spooling up to me so I've just dismissed it. It's definitely turbo related, rises with revs and cuts completely on the over run. I'm getting 29/30 mpg and also downloaded a 0-60 app on my phone which returned about 8.5 seconds so don't think I'm down on power?
So, please put my mind at rest and let me know that a faint turbo whine is normal??
Thanks, MY11 SD4 HSE.

Post #339907 19th Jan 2018 8:07 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Just had the turbo hose split on my motor. Started with a low level sound akin to a bunch of small shot being rolled around a tin tray when accelerating. I confess I ignored this initially as didn't have time to get car to garage and it didn 't sound too ominousbto start with. This was then joined by another sound on acceleration that reminded me of an old steam train trying to accelerate on wet tracks - I presume the turbo winding up / sucking air through the split hose? Accompanied by some rougher gear changes as well which was confusing, nothing untoward on the overrun as you say. No question that something was wrong!
I got lucky as it was a small section at the top of the hose that had a 2-3 inch split so didn't have to have the front of the car dismantled to get to the bottom of the hose where it usually goes apparently.

I also had the "check engine" warning light come up before it got to the garage as fuel mixture was rubbish!

I won't be ignoring any strange noises in the future that's for sure

Post #339918 19th Jan 2018 10:46 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I’ve just noticed a whistle on mine around 1800 rpm. Also noticed a small drop in power, the car although nippy doesn’t seem (to me) to have the same poke to it, car seems to rev higher. Anyway, while looking in the engine bay, I’ve noticed what looks to be a small split in the hose by the jubilee clip. Also, by the same clip where the hose joins the plastic pipe, the plastic pipe is covered in a oily residue. I am going to call by the indy I use this week to see what he thinks. The hose I think that has a split in it is the short one that fastens to the throttle valve.

Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #339995 20th Jan 2018 11:01 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Stevie5tapes wrote:

That split won't affect anything as it is beyond the clamp. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #340087 21st Jan 2018 7:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1