Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 38 mpg on a 150 mile trip.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
38 mpg on a 150 mile trip.

done a 150 mile trip,in the fl2 sun, from pontypridd to just above worcs,slight de tour and extra 1.5 hrs driving due to the over turned tanker on m5.very happy with its mpg and drive on a long distance.and its 93.9 pence per ltr... Razz this consisted of 60% motoway,the rest a/b roads,would have done a bit better if no de tour as come home over the malvern hills. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up nice though.

Post #34197 7th Jan 2009 10:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

They let you across the border Question Rolling Eyes ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #34200 7th Jan 2009 10:54 am
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
38 mpg on 150 mile trip

well landrovers slogan is GO BEOND. Rolling with laughter

Post #34202 7th Jan 2009 11:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tonyc

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
38MPG ON A 150 MILE TRIP

Over the holidays I did a 300 mile (mainly motorway) round trip which returned an average 38.8 mpg at an average speed of 65.5mph - more than satisfied with this - I managed about 90 miles on cruise control set at 70mph in one stage.

Tonyc

Post #34210 7th Jan 2009 1:04 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Do not trust the figures shown by the computer it tells porkies.

The only accurate method is fill the tank, set the trip to zero, run it , fill the tank record the mileage and divide the fuel used by the mileage.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #34522 12th Jan 2009 8:23 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Bill Turner wrote:
Do not trust the figures shown by the computer it tells porkies.

The only accurate method is fill the tank, set the trip to zero, run it , fill the tank record the mileage and divide the fuel used by the mileage.

Bill Turner.

The computer on mine gets within 0.3mpg so pretty accurate fill to fill! I drove 150miles on Friday night, not doing above 70mph (foggy & -3) and managed bang on 40mpg. Did the return journey, mainly at 80 and ended up with 37mpg. Based on that 70mph = 40mpg, 80mph = 34mpg, which is why most folk moan about not getting 37.7mpg.... Wink

Post #34523 12th Jan 2009 8:34 pm
Bibs

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Narvik Black

This is the only vehicle I have had where the computer and filling brim to brim give more or less the same MPG figures. I found BMWs, Audis and VW nowhere near as accurate

Post #34533 12th Jan 2009 9:59 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Bibs wrote:
This is the only vehicle I have had where the computer and filling brim to brim give more or less the same MPG figures. I found BMWs, Audis and VW nowhere near as accurate

Agreed, although my fuel guage is still all over the place at 1/3 full or less with my range suddenly bombing & I'm in limp mode! Censored I suppose that the fact the mpg is accurate is that is measures the actual fuel pumped into the engine & not the remaing fuel in the tank! My XS regular shows increasing mpg despite losing 150miles of range in about 2 miles! Big Cry Off to the dealer next week to get that & the heater sorted!

Post #34534 12th Jan 2009 10:19 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

My average MPG always reads 28.4 mpg, even after being reset several times, but in reality, the car does anything between 31.4 and 33.2 mpg (as worked out by my genius self Whistle ). I haven't done any long runs yet, but will be next month, so that may encourage my computer to tell the truth. Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #34561 13th Jan 2009 12:42 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

My trip computer is about 0.5 - 1.0 MPG optimistic compared with fill-to-fill calculations. Don't forget that pump meters have a tolerance so if you want to be realy picky, always fill up at the same pump. Pump meter accuracy is also different from full delivery to dribble rates so another cuase of variation. Trip computer calculates fuel used from injection time and pressure so it's amazing that it gets as close as it does.

My overall average over 13k miles is just around 40 with a fair proportion of motorway miles at 70, 65 or 60 depending on the time available. This is for a manual.

I was recently told by a LR Experience trainer that FL2 autos are just as economical as manual when not pottering around town. Any comments? Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #34679 14th Jan 2009 6:54 pm
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I'd agree about auto vs manual when not driving in town. I have an auto and can easily get 36-37mpg on a trip. When my car was at the dealer I had a manual for a day, and could not get better than 37mpg on the same type of trip, which was mostly motorway and dual-carriageway. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #34684 14th Jan 2009 7:44 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

That's probably true in that my auto seems to become a lot more economical on the open road (A roads, as opposed to motorways) and is also economic on the windy country roads. My local LR experience reckon they get 30 - 35 mpg out of their auto, which I think is b Censored t, taking into account the amount of time they spend off road and playing with the car's functions. One of the reviews reckons the auto is more economic than the manual, which again, I can't believe. I suppose I'll find out next week when I take it on a 600 mile round trip.

Have a look at this:

http://motortorque.askaprice.com/reviews/a...review.asp

Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #34686 14th Jan 2009 7:50 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Chris B wrote:

........Don't forget that pump meters have a tolerance so if you want to be realy picky, always fill up at the same pump. Pump meter accuracy is also different from full delivery to dribble rates so another cuase of variation.......

........I was recently told by a LR Experience trainer that FL2 autos are just as economical as manual when not pottering around town........

Any comments?

Just a couple of comments,

Certainly no mechanical metering system can be 100% accurate, however in reality the tolerance allowed in pump calibration (function of trading standards) is very demanding. In terms of the volume we're talking about to fill our FL2's I would suggest you would not be able to measure this on a single tank, even filling at the same pump for an entire year it unlikely you'd ever be able to see evidence of this. It is part of pump calibration to test the accurancy at different delivery speeds, so that error is also covered. Calibration rules generally would lead lead to a miniscule over delivery to be sure of staying the correct side of the law. I am involved with meter calibration elsewhere in the fuel industry, if I apply the worst case scenario of negative tolerance (short delivery) to my car for all of my 2008 mileage of 22500 miles then the difference in calculated fuel consumption changes by 0.01 mpg. All I'm saying is sure metering systems are not 100% but the scale of variance you could see is hardly on a scale you can measure

Auto vs Man consumption, the only time they can be the same is when the torque converter lock up is engaged, this is the only time the tranmission is 100%efficent, i.e. all the engine revs are transmitted fully into the transmission. The FL2 auto box locks up in 6th (possibly 5th as well - I've asked the question many times and not had a definitive answer!) In all other conditions then revs are lost through the torque converter which is the reason why autos always take a hit on fuel consumption. There is a growing trend to the DSG, Powershift or twin shaft auto boxes (different names for the same principle) these boxes are becoming popular because they don't have a torque converter and therefore don't incure the associated losses, so both mpg and CO2 on these new type autos comes in within a couple of percent of a manual car. In fact a small number of implementations are delivering better mpg and CO2 than manual cars. An FL2 with a Powershift box would be very nice road car, with a Powershift and low ratio box it would be great off road too. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #34705 14th Jan 2009 11:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1