« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > OIL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
OIL

Just had the first service and when I checked the oil after 20 miles it was black!When I had a Disco 3 the oil was a gold colour for thousands of miles.Do you think they skipped an oil change?Anyone else noticed the oil colour after a service? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #34047 5th Jan 2009 3:07 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

There is another similar forun thread http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic3061.html?highlight=#end 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34052 5th Jan 2009 3:36 pm
Alona

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Does no one mark the oil filter before the service anymore Question Question Or is it only me Idea 08 FL2 SE TD4 manual,Santorini Black, Factory fitted Black Tinted Glass, Anti-Tesco Trolly Side Protection, bebe confort axiss carseats & Cargo barrier to stop twin's buggy & junk coming through. NO Sweets Crisps or Drinks inside.
WITH TWINS, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY Smile Now towing a Abbey Vouge 650 1800kg

Tug weight 1958kg + Roofrails & Towbar

Post #34053 5th Jan 2009 3:40 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Alona wrote:
Does no one mark the oil filter before the service anymore Question Question Or is it only me Idea

From what I have read on this site they only change the filter element and not the filter housing.

waaxh03

Post #34067 5th Jan 2009 7:50 pm
Alona

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Ok Then,

So how do we really know if its been done Question

Also for those people that are using their own oil, How do you know they used it, and not just used the normal LR stuff Question

Is it just trust 08 FL2 SE TD4 manual,Santorini Black, Factory fitted Black Tinted Glass, Anti-Tesco Trolly Side Protection, bebe confort axiss carseats & Cargo barrier to stop twin's buggy & junk coming through. NO Sweets Crisps or Drinks inside.
WITH TWINS, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY Smile Now towing a Abbey Vouge 650 1800kg

Tug weight 1958kg + Roofrails & Towbar

Post #34073 5th Jan 2009 8:57 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Alona wrote:
Ok Then,

So how do we really know if its been done Question

Also for those people that are using their own oil, How do you know they used it, and not just used the normal LR stuff Question

Is it just trust

You are right - you don't know if they have used the oil that you have provided.

That's another reason why I change the oil & filter myself Thumbs Up

Post #34081 5th Jan 2009 11:24 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

waaxh03 wrote:

From what I have read on this site they only change the filter element and not the filter housing.

waaxh03

Don't quite understand, how would you change the element without the housing?

Isn't the filter a typical modern all-in-one where the element and body are a single unit?

Last time I encountered a seperate filter body and element was on a 1959 Austin A35 Shocked

Or have I got the wrong end of the thread (no pun intended)

As for the issue of trust, not sure how you deal with that. I've certainly been on the receiving end of malpractice in the past where plugs, points, filters etc have not been changed as promised (and paid for) but I would have hoped our dealers were a step on from that. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #34084 5th Jan 2009 11:41 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

avtur wrote:
waaxh03 wrote:

waaxh03

Don't quite understand, how would you change the element without the housing?

Isn't the filter a typical modern all-in-one where the element and body are a single unit?

Last time I encountered a seperate filter body and element was on a 1959 Austin A35 Shocked

Or have I got the wrong end of the thread (no pun intended)

As for the issue of trust, not sure how you deal with that. I've certainly been on the receiving end of malpractice in the past where plugs, points, filters etc have not been changed as promised (and paid for) but I would have hoped our dealers were a step on from that.

avtur, The last time I came across a separate filter housing was on my dad's 1953 Morris Minor and it leaked oil once after I did an oil/ filter change for him (real bind).
Maybe I have read it wrong but philsh explains it on url http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2994.html...er+change.
I hope it ends up to be an all in one unit as I think they are much better.

waaxh03

Post #34316 9th Jan 2009 9:04 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No, the Freely 2 oil filter is an old fashioned plain filter which fits into the outer (black plastic) housing. The top is screwed on to the housing.

YF

Post #34350 10th Jan 2009 3:43 pm
bilen123

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I had the same query...my FR2 done 6.5k miles and went in for a service - came back oil looked the same to me (dark boriwn). They forgot to stamp the service book which made me suspicious and cjheck the oil (otherwise would not have). Not convicned they change it - can't prove it

Post #34480 12th Jan 2009 1:21 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

What about the "engine oil quick test kit" offered by "technolit" - would it work to proof the oil exchange being done? They offer a special paper test, which indicates the grade of contamination/defilement/staining (which one is the right english word?) of the oil as well as it's gasoline and water content - just 15-30 minutes after pooring one drop of motor oil on the paper. Hence it should be reliable for judging whether the oil is 100km or 10.000 km old, isn't it.

Did anybody work with this?
Yamaha-Fan, as the oil expert - do you have experience with this fast oil check kit ?

Best regards
FreeGreen

Post #34575 13th Jan 2009 4:02 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I got some of those paper tests sent to me by my tractor dealer, to encourage me to service my tractors more often. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34576 13th Jan 2009 4:27 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

bilen123 wrote:
I had the same query...my FR2 done 6.5k miles and went in for a service - came back oil looked the same to me (dark boriwn). They forgot to stamp the service book which made me suspicious and cjheck the oil (otherwise would not have). Not convicned they change it - can't prove it

It's not impossible that some stealers change the oil but not the filter as this saves them a lot of labour work. You can't see it from the outside but, as there remains quite a lot of dirty oil in the filter housing, the new oil will look black immediately.

Post #34590 13th Jan 2009 6:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1