Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New to freelander 2 owenership, bit concerned.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 
New to freelander 2 owenership, bit concerned.

Hi everyone, first post on here, just bought a freelander 2 other day, pick it up this coming week, all seems well and has had a AA inspection and 3 month warranty but after doing bit of reading regarding power steering racks and diff problems are they both very common? mines a mid 2009 build. I know most forums/ online in general are usally people complaining in comparison to how many cars are running fine, but there does seem to be a lot about racks and diffs. Thanks.

Post #338833 7th Jan 2018 5:59 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Hi
I had a 59 plate a few years ago with 56k and it was great to drive and looked good (i fitted facelift front bumper, sidesteps + lots of accessories).
The only problems i had was a keyfob that paked in and when the dealer was programming in a new 1 (switch ign on/ off many times) the throttle body started to play up - these 2 items were approx £120 each to fix and i was concerned they were the start of problems to come so traded it in Sad

I'm now looking at a 2013> FL with less than 50k hoping it will be problem free but reading posts about diffs going at any mileage and other niggles i'm a bit worried.

What mileage has yours done?
As you haven't picked it up yet could you push for a comprehensive warranty from the garage instead of the basic 3 months and extend it for piece of mind?

Most owners post on forums asking about problems which is why we see so many, not many owners post about how well their cars are running

Post #338837 7th Jan 2018 6:52 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Rich. Welcome to the forum. My HSE Auto came off the production line at Hailwood on 9th July 2009. It is officially a 2010 model. It is presently at 82,000 miles. As far as I know, it has never had a steering rack problem and is on it’s original diff.

In it’s life before my ownership it had a transfer box change in the early years. A couple of years ago the Haldex gave some strange problems fixed by a software update. Also a crankshaft pulley seal oil leak fixed under warranty and a fuel tank gauge problem fixed by LR. More recently the throttle body failed and was replaced under extended warranty. Other than regular services and wear & tear items like brake pads & discs, that’s it!

Steering racks were an issue on early 07/08 models. Diff problems still occur sadly, but a lot less than you think. Just make sure your car has a FULL service history. On collection, Thoroughly check for faults including all door locks & windows, central locking etc. Check that EVERYTHING electric works as it should. Make sure it drives straight & smooth. Manual gear change should be easy and slick. Autos positive and smooth. Drive slowly in circles and check for rear tyre scrub (Haldex issues). Any issues, leave it on the forecourt until fixed. Check manuals for clutch slip in 5th & 6th on hard accelerations.

If all is good, enjoy it! I do, every day!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #338838 7th Jan 2018 7:13 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Laughing Racks & diffs? Spend long enough on here and you will find plenty more to worry about than just racks and diffs!

I’ve had my 59 plate GS for ten weeks and 6k miles now. Still on the learning curve and beginning to see where the likely large bills might be down the line, but so far I don’t regret the purchase. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #338841 7th Jan 2018 7:19 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Our 2009 GS auto has been in our ownership for nearly 7 years. We bought it with 33k on it.Now It has about 55k on it . The steering rack packed in at 38, the diff at about 51 if I remember rightly . All the service history in the world won’t make a difference . It either breaks or it doesn’t . The steering rack issue comes down to some batches of racks having weld spatter inside . The rear bearing just bad design. The thing is a 9 year old car of any make is a compromise . It’s at the end of it’s depreciation cycle so assuming you didn’t pay too much you will never lose much on it , on the other hand the risk of needing repairs is always going to be higher than with a new car . As you correctly say forums tend to throw up problems there are plenty of these cars which have never had a problem . Any LR dealer should be able to tell you if your car ever had any major work in its initial warranty period or while serviced by LR. Just enjoy the car and worry about it if it happens Very Happy 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #338842 7th Jan 2018 7:53 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Interesting post...

A couple of months ago, with very little pre-reading about the cars, I bought a 2011 XS TD4 with 51,000 miles and full history (well - stamps in the book anyway, the first several years by a LR dealer...). My car is in immaculate condition, with no tow-bar fitted and four Goodyear Wrangler tyres (which I took to be good signs of moderate use and sensible maintenance). Everything works as it should, the car drives beautifully, and I have to say I am very impressed with my purchase. The car has already proved its worth in the wintry conditions in the Scottish Highlands this winter.

BUT - like you - I have read the many horror stories on this forum of Haldex problems, diff problems, transfer box problems, and many other problems... and I have wondered if I have made an expensive mistake in buying a Freelander.

It would be good to be reassured by owners of cars that haven't creaked, whined or clattered, that the Fl2 is actually an averagely reliable car, and no more expensive to run than the majority of its competitors. Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #338844 7th Jan 2018 8:03 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I bought my 2008 model with around 60,000 miles on it and sold it a few years later with around 82,000 miles on it. Never had any problems with the haldex or power steering although I did, as a precaution, replace the power steering reservoir which incorporated the power steering fluid filter. I think it cost me around £35 with the oil. I was having intermittent problems with the fuel gauge though when I sold it. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #338845 7th Jan 2018 8:06 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

My original Freelander is on its second owner after I bought it new in 2011. It has around 160,000 miles on it now.

It had a new rear diff at around 100,000 miles and it’s still on it’s original steering rack. The current owner won’t part with it for anything and fully expects to put a new rear diff in it at 200,000 miles. He much prefers it to his previous 320d, which he ran for many years, until it too was 200,000 miles +

Yes, you’ll have expenses, it’s s 9 year old car with a lot of 4 wheel drive hardware, but the issues that there are are usually blown out of all proportion on any forum and it’s still less than 10 years and 100,000 miles old, so get a decent aftermarket warranty for at least a year and enjoy your new car Thumbs Up

Post #338846 7th Jan 2018 10:12 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I've got a 59 plate (2010MY) with 103000 miles on it. It's only broke down on me once in two years of owning it, even then it was just the throttle body and it was still driveable to the garage. The diff bearing did go, but I had a reconditioned one fitted with a bigger bearing, not worried about that now!
Fantastic car and providing you take care of it it's no more unreliable than any other cars I've owned!

Post #338850 7th Jan 2018 11:09 pm
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

Hi guys, thanks for the reply's, good forum this. The millage on the one I'm getting is 90,000 with service history. I don't mind little niggles and things such as brakes and wheel bearings as I class that as normal wear and tear and don't mind doing a bit on it myself but its bigger things that concern me such as diff which looks to be a costly fix.
Looking online there doesn't seem to be a set rule for diffs like a certain age seems to be nearly each year and some have had 1 others 2 or 3 diffs. I am looking forward to collecting it as its my first land rover, and much nicer to drive than my current Vauxhall, there not without issues either. As Tigger says forums blow things out of proportion, looking online makes it seem like every freelander needs a new diff!
Anyway I'm hoping mine will be ok, least for 12 months to get some cash to one side if it does go. As skyeguy says it would be nice to here from others who have driven there freelander without any diff or rack issue etc.

Post #338851 7th Jan 2018 11:16 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Posted in error

Post #338853 7th Jan 2018 11:41 pm
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

£22,000! is that on the latest V6 engine? or a older unit? wouldn't have minded a disco but think ill stick with freelanders, it does all I need it to do and other than few things they don't seem to bad, guy over the road has one (td4 on a 56 plate) with 175,000 miles on it, don't know how much its had spent though to get it to that.

Post #338854 7th Jan 2018 11:44 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't worry too much about the steering rack - as stated 2007/2008 there was a quality issue where weld spatter was found inside the rack, this found it's way up to the reservoir and consequently blocked the filter, this starved the pump, that then produced even more swarf, that blocked the filter even further.
Upshot is, if it lasted 50K it will probably last 200k

It might be a good idea to change the reservoir (it includes the filter) at a major service - say 150k when timing belt is due. - mine was a 2008 and died at 15k, then next one was doing fine at 185k
There have been diffs that failed at 30k, mine had a leak at 15k (ie first service) it was resealed at the dealers and then was quiet 185k later, then again I did drill the bottom of the diff to fit a drain plug, and changed the oil every service.

Auto gearbox REALLY does need its oil changed every 75k, or sooner, if it has not been done insist that it is before you drive the car away.
Apart from that there are minor niggles like every other car, the is a lot of equipment fitted, it is all ageing, if you don't mind doing simple jobs, then the car shouldn't cost you a fortune. If in doubt look here and failing that ask - there are a lot of good chaps and chapesses here willing to help, just don't get upset if some take the mick, banter is part of the reason many of us stay long after our (beloved) Freelanders depart. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #338856 7th Jan 2018 11:53 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Rich05uk wrote:
£22,000! is that on the latest V6 engine? or a older unit? wouldn't have minded a disco but think ill stick with freelanders, it does all I need it to do and other than few things they don't seem to bad, guy over the road has one (td4 on a 56 plate) with 175,000 miles on it, don't know how much its had spent though to get it to that.

I’d actually thought about that post and deleted it, as I didn’t want to be part of the self inflicted rumour mill around crank failures in Disco’s. A small number have failed and there was a recent report of a dealer quoting this figure for a replacement engine. However, there’s so much wailing and gnashing of teeth going on from people who haven’t experienced the problem themselves and don’t even personally know someone who has, that it’s got completely unobjective. It’s like everyone believing that their rear diff is going to need replacing with every other tank full!

Last edited by Tigger on 9th Jan 2018 7:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #338861 8th Jan 2018 7:26 am
Dartman the one

England 

You mean it only happens to my aunts grandmothers second cousins best friends great grandson Laughing
I've had my June 2012 FL since March 2013 and at 44000 miles it has had servicing, a recall for a fuel return pipe and a set of tyres, ex LR loan car via Enterprise, 6000 miles fitted with tow bar and full twin electrics, but it was never used before my ownership. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #338862 8th Jan 2018 7:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>