Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Glow plugs operation - software update available??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Grant

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

dondiddy wrote:
The solenoid kit is only about £17 on Ebay so a cheap enough part to replace but as previously stated a faulty starter and faulty glow plugs are 2 very different issues. I think you are getting them a bit mixed up. 1/ Press start button: Nothing happens or only a click= faulty starter or bad battery. 2/ press start button: Engine turns over for around 20 seconds or so but does not start= Faulty glow plugs. If during warmer weather the engine starts after a few seconds or so and is a bit smokey then most probably 1 or more faulty glow plugs.

Ah right, well, if I hop in, push the start button, everything lights up as it should, but when I press the brake and the start button again, I just get nothing normally, sometime's it'll go, sometimes not, depends on the temperatures and how long it's been sat in said temperatures. If that makes sense?

Post #378400 16th Sep 2019 4:13 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

It can be hard to pinpoint a fault if it is very intermittent but if you did get the problem returning then it is reasonably easy with a test lamp/meter to check if the starter is getting power or not. It is best accessed from underneath after you have removed the splash shield. Of course it could also have been a weak battery that dies when it is cold but then recovers enough to start the car when it gets a bit warmer. It would have been better to have done the fault finding during the cold weather when it was playing up but if it has been running fine over the summer then it could well have been the battery.

Post #378406 16th Sep 2019 5:30 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Grant wrote:
dondiddy wrote:
The solenoid kit is only about £17 on Ebay so a cheap enough part to replace but as previously stated a faulty starter and faulty glow plugs are 2 very different issues. I think you are getting them a bit mixed up. 1/ Press start button: Nothing happens or only a click= faulty starter or bad battery. 2/ press start button: Engine turns over for around 20 seconds or so but does not start= Faulty glow plugs. If during warmer weather the engine starts after a few seconds or so and is a bit smokey then most probably 1 or more faulty glow plugs.

Ah right, well, if I hop in, push the start button, everything lights up as it should, but when I press the brake and the start button again, I just get nothing normally, sometime's it'll go, sometimes not, depends on the temperatures and how long it's been sat in said temperatures. If that makes sense?

Grant: FL2 have a lot of issues which come down to failing battery voltage under load - mine did - battery warnings coming up during starting. Before you do anything else I'd check that the battery maintains voltage under load. Also check the earth, as even a good battery wont work well when under load if the earth side of the circuit is poor. FL2s do have a history of poor earths and several forum members have added an additional earth cable (I did) . You can quickly check for poor earthing when its not starting by using a jump cable to earth from battery neg terminal to engine block and see if that improves things. Jules

Post #378421 17th Sep 2019 9:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123