Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Kitchen knife set advice. Any cheffy types on here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
CJOver wrote:
Good knives should never be put through a dishwasher, my first ever job was as a butchers boy in a little shop with an old time butcher.

The first thing I was taught was that the most dangerous thing in the shop was a blunt knife, so the last thing I did every evening after cleaning up was to take the knives to the grind stone and put a clean edge on them.

I worked in a butchers shop in my teens and the last job I had to do was scrub off the block with a wire brush and spread sawdust everywhere you must have been in an upmarket shop if you had a grindstone. Very Happy

It was a in a trough of water about 2 foot across and was hand turned, the butcher was very much of the old school. Chickens were brought in undressed and my first job when I arrived was to prepare 10 birds. Christmas was fun because there would be him, his son and me doing a production line of turkeys, geese etc and boning out whole gammons. MY13 HSE Lux Santorini Black
MY11 HSE Santorini Black Gone
MY08 SE Blue, Gone
Alfa Romeo GT Gone
Alfa Romeo 156 Space wagon Gone
Volvo V40 Gone
Volvo 480ES Gone
VW Sirocco GTX Gone

Post #382976 20th Dec 2019 9:23 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

SYFL2 wrote:
It’s the dishwasher detergent it can pit some knives.

I suppose it depends upon the quality of the material then, when I was in Japan I went to a sword/knife maker in Osaka and watched the process, at the end of the forging and oiling they put all the bare blades in a large industrial dishwasher before fitting the handles.......I was amazed they actually used a Fairy DW capsule, you can see why I wondered where all this “never put them in a dishwasher” came from Laughing

I do kick myself though as I didn’t buy a kitchen knife while there as I was a bit worried about bringing it back on the plane, even in baggage! It was just after 9/11 Crying or Very sad Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #382992 21st Dec 2019 11:08 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123