Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Up grades for a Freelander 2 etc

Hi to you all,
It's been a long time hope your all well. Thumbs Up

I'm still running the Freelander 2, Yes it's 10 years old 90k on the clock but it's still going/running strong.
Nee bother at MOT time Cool

What with the new line of work I don't use the car that much, I've gone from a daily driver 20k a year to forgetting the last time I have put fuel in it, 3.5 k a year if I'm lucky.
I've had 26 flights this year a been out of the country for 17 weeks this year, I'm in the south of France at the moment Cool
Yes I still like to drive old the car.

My point is I'm thinking of doing a few up-grades.

1, Grooved front & rear brake discs with braided brake lines etc.
2, Up grading the suspension with poly bushers all ronud.
3, Possible Up grading the shocks and spring etc.
4, K&N air filter.
5, Possible fitting the tail pipe with twin out lets. (LR Evoke back box)
6, Engine re-map.
7, Is there an higher performance clutch kits out yet. (LR one are very poor)

Has any body done such mods and do you know of any links. Smile

Yes I know this will cost around £2,000.00 plus ? for most for the parts but it could be a project which will keep the car up to date for another 5 years ?

I have the finance to buy a new car but what's the point in blowing £45,000.00 for 3,500 miles per year, plus a new car will loose £5,000.00 plus in the first year parked on the drive.
Can any one give good advice Cool

Post #331372 17th Sep 2017 7:31 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Hi JP, my first thoughts on this is at 90K consider replacing the belts, pulleys and water pump if you haven't done so,
also consider having the Haldex unit serviced.
I do like the look of the twin exhaust though should have been fitted from new Thumbs Up

Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #331382 17th Sep 2017 8:32 pm
Delboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I would also strongly recommend a Terraclean.
I had an ECU remap with EGR shut off (via ECU) performed last week. The difference was noticeable straight away, improved low rev response, more power and generally feeling improved. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #331384 17th Sep 2017 8:39 pm
jp

Hi Dave,
I've had all the belts etc done on the last service in February 10 year service , plus 18 months ago I had a slightly nosey Diff bearing so I had the whole Haldex sorted.
I may had a slight noise coming from a front bearing but they no problem to sort out and I was thinking doing that with the upgrades ??

Regards JP

Post #331385 17th Sep 2017 8:41 pm
jp

Hi Delboy,

I'm up for a ECU remap, not sure about blocking the EGR valve off . I understand what it dose, Co2 & Nox etc. this is why VW got a kicking because of high Nox out put levels, its really bad for your health etc.

A very interesting read was the "Faster, Higher, Farther" VW inside story Thumbs Up

Regards JP

Post #331387 17th Sep 2017 8:53 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My wife has a 56 reg Peugeot 207 with 48k miles that only does about 3k miles/year. It's very tidy and in very good condition. We were at a garage (a Ford dealer) getting fuel and I walked over and had a chat with one of the car salesman about possibly replacing it. He asked for the mileage and walked around it and we went inside for him to look up the trade in value. He said that the problem was that it was worth perhaps £1200 and that if there was a major fault costing say £500 then it probably wouldn't be worth fixing as it wouldn't increase the value. He added that if you bought a similar car costing about £5-6k you would get something that wasn't really much better than what you have now and that to make a change worthwhile you need to be adding say £10k. We have known the guy for some years (kids were at school together) and he basically advised that we should just run it and spend the minimum on keeping it going.

The reason I am telling this story is that there is a parallel with the OP's FL2 with low annual mileage and logic says that there is no point in tarting up an old car and that you should just spend the minimum on keeping it going. In my wife's case we could easily afford to replace it but she is happy with it. So ask yourself, "why are you planning all of these mods on a 10 year old car that you hardly drive?" 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #331418 18th Sep 2017 10:31 am
jp

HI Doresfreelander,

I can fully understand where your coming from, hence why I haven't done much to it over the last couple of years.
but sooner or latter I may have to change the pads & discs, possible Suspension parts etc. and as I can fit them all my-self and may keep the car for another couple of years I was thinking of up-grading the replacement parts.

I understand that it's not going to add value in re-sale , lets face it if 12,13 year FL2 will be not worth much.

It was more as a Project some thing to play with, and as some of the LR parts cost about the same as some up-grades part why not !. It's never going to be a sports car, but it could up date the car for a couple of years.

I haven't got more money than sense, but I do have plenty of one off them Whistle ??
As I said in my first post a NEW motor will loose more than £5,000.00 each year just parked on the drive. Most of the up-grades will cost around £2,000.00 ish.

What I'm really waiting for is "VW GTE" motor made in 4x4 LR, but the VW GTE Tigaun may be an alternative, I'll need to start driving my own car and stop driving company / hire cars, but that another subjected alltoghter Smile

Post #331463 18th Sep 2017 8:22 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

jp wrote:
Hi Delboy,

I'm up for a ECU remap, not sure about blocking the EGR valve off . I understand what it dose, Co2 & Nox etc. this is why VW got a kicking because of high Nox out put levels, its really bad for your health etc.

A very interesting read was the "Faster, Higher, Farther" VW inside story Thumbs Up

Regards JP

Blocking the EGR should not in theory make a difference to performance. BUT at that sort of mileage it is very likely that the valve has got sticky and may not be operating properly. You probably would not notice as the deterioration in performance can be gradual. I'm fairly sure the valve on my SD4 was starting to stick at 3 years old (I got rid of it). Before paying to have it blocked off electronically, I'd fit one of the cheap blocking plates that are much discussed on here, to see whether there is any difference. Your car is old enough for that not to be a problem. If you notice a big difference then the valve is probably not working properly anyway, so your emissions will already be up the spout, and you can decide whether to block permanently or replace the valve. If no difference you can remove the plate. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #331466 18th Sep 2017 8:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1