« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > ACEA specifications
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mabo

Italy 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red
ACEA specifications

I was interested in knowing whether or not an oil classified as ACEA A3/B3 is actually better than an oil classified as ACEA A1/B1.

So I browsed a document published by ACEA last December: http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/20..._Final.pdf

Quote:
A1/B1 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel
engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate
viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in
some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines
and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity
oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

From the above I understand that A1/B1 oils are different but not necessarily better than A3/B3, and I dare say the opposite seems to be true.

Any comments from experts?

Post #35142 20th Jan 2009 5:23 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Why do you think so ?

you can read all required quality standards here:

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/pub/0703...and_HD.pdf

Post #35145 20th Jan 2009 6:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mabo

Hi Paul.

My understanding is that our car allows for a low friction low viscosity oil as a ACEA A1/B1, and this should have a positive impact on fuel economy without risking any damage to the motor. So, in this sense it can be deemed a "better" oil. But I am no expert!

By the way, as I mentioned under another thread, the most respected Italian car magazine Quattroruote completed a test of 100.000 km of a Freelander2 TD4, and found the motor to be in a very healthy state at the end of the test (the only problem was soot deposits on valves stems).
I assume that they had the required 24.000 km interval services done by Land Rover an hence an ACEA A1/B1 oil was used...

Post #35179 21st Jan 2009 10:59 am
Paul

mabo,

I can only agree with the detailed and multiple comments made by Yamaha-fan about the right oil for the FL2.
(please use the "search" function.)
I just watched the FL2 handbook and it's indeed amazing to read that for petrol engines the highest standard A5 is required and for the diesel only the Ford 913-B standard that corresponds with B1, the lowest one.

"My understanding is that our car allows for a low friction low viscosity oil as a ACEA A1/B1, and this should have a positive impact on fuel economy without risking any damage to the motor".

I assume that you think that an A1/B1 oil has lower friction properties than the A3/B3 or higher and so would decrease fuel consumption. I understand your reasoning. The misleading way the "consumer language" prose has been formulated causes this kind of false interpretations.

As said before, a lot has been posted about oil choice in other topics so I won't repeat it here. Maybe just one recommendation: go for a full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1. It meets the highest requirements and a very important - but generally unknown - property of a full synthetic oil is that it keeps it viscosity level much longer. The viscosity of multigrade mineral oil decreases to 70 % after 5000 Km. Mobil 1 stays at 90 %.

Post #35237 22nd Jan 2009 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I fully support what Paul has said!
The motor oil as per Ford norm WSS...913B has -on purpose- a low HTHS value (HTHS=high tension, high shear) of < 2,9. Ford claims as reason for the low HTHS value the reduced fuel consumption, which in my humble opinion is non-sense. Good motor oils have a high HTHS value of more than 3,5, and this is what I recommend to look at when buying motor oil. The main difference between A1/B1 oils and A4/B4 oils are the HTHS value.
The higher the HTHS value the more temperature stable is the motor oil on the long run.
But I have said enough on this issue, and I will be quiet now.

YF

Post #35261 22nd Jan 2009 3:06 pm
mabo

A warm "thank you" for your kind replies.

Post #35273 22nd Jan 2009 5:25 pm
Paul

you're welcome, mabo.

mabo wrote:

By the way, as I mentioned under another thread, the most respected Italian car magazine Quattroruote completed a test of 100.000 km of a Freelander2 TD4, and found the motor to be in a very healthy state at the end of the test (the only problem was soot deposits on valves stems).
I assume that they had the required 24.000 km interval services done by Land Rover an hence an ACEA A1/B1 oil was used...

According to certain sources, the oil corresponded to A3/B4.

Post #35287 22nd Jan 2009 7:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1