« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > GS speakers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Neil

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
GS speakers

The wife is using the F2 at the moment as the roads are bad around here in this weather. Anyone done a speaker uprade? She is used to her Audi Bose system and is a bit disapointed with the GS radio. Anything that will make it a bit better??

Post #32648 6th Dec 2008 9:53 pm
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

See if you can find a written off HSE somewhere and get the Alpine PLII out of it? 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #32650 6th Dec 2008 10:17 pm
Rowy

He He if ya find one, watch out for the rockin horse Censored in the boot Laughing

Post #32656 6th Dec 2008 11:46 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Its probably more down to the crap music she listen's to Rolling with laughter ,can't really say i find mine bad and i love my music in the motor playing my ipod though the aux port. Very Happy Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #32661 7th Dec 2008 8:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

We also have an Audi as t'other car, a TT Quattro also with a Bose. I reckon the LR Alpine PL sounds better than the Audi. I've heard a Bose in a Q7 and its also much better than our TT so I reckon its down to cabin size limiting what can be done. 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #32685 8th Dec 2008 4:07 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

The non-DAB radio sounds rubbish though.

My old car with it's non-premium or anything radio sounded much better. Shame you can't retrofit the DAB. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #32689 8th Dec 2008 6:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

there was someone on here saying he had fitted the dab, as it had been missed off a customers order at LR

he was wanting to offer it to people, for £XXX, but never heard anything since he was told to contact martin re sponsorship for commercial posts

he then said he would post a list of part number up, so we could DIY it

if somebody could find the extra parts needs, I think it is possible on the higher spec audio

surley it must be a modual of somesorts and a interface etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #32690 8th Dec 2008 6:35 pm
Frobius

Well from the circuit diagrams that were banding about here a while back, looks like at the minimum, you'll need a DAB antenna amplifier and a DAB module. If they can be sourced for on or around the price of the option £200, it'd be worth it.

Here's the image posted :

Click image to enlarge

Looks like you need a DAB L-Band antenna (same as the GPS one on the roof of the satnave models, A DAB antenna amplifier and a DAB tuner module. Not to mention any wiring that might not be there. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #32695 8th Dec 2008 9:20 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Being an Ex DJ, I have never understood the reason for digital audio for this simple reason.....

An ANALOGUE voice, made into a digital recording played back through a digital player with sound emitted through ANALOGUE speakers to be listened to by ANALOGUE ears.....

Why go digital Question Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #32696 8th Dec 2008 9:50 pm
Frobius

Because to keep that analogue signal as good as it was when it entered the mic in the studio, you need to spend thousands upon thousands. If you digitize it, you can keep a relatively good copy of the signal, push it through some pretty mediocre kit (in the grand scheme of things) and not have lost as much by the time it comes out the other end back in analogue. Sadly with the vast majority of analogue signals, they have to be co pressed in order to fit whatever medium they are to travel down - ok in your home stereo, the limits are only the medium of the source and the cables so you don't really have that limit (lets assume you are using vinyl or reel to reel tape or something). But when you're talking radio or compact tapes, there's only so much to play with. Radio in particular only has two methods to transmit an analogue signal, AM and FM. There are other types but there are for digital signals only. FM itself is limited to how much of a signal you can put on that carrier wave. Not to metion that you're inevitably going to lose some of the signal through the air. With DAB, they can compress and correct the data at both ends, thus you get more sound for less bandwidth.

Look at it this way, I could steal the Mona Lisa and give you it (yeah I'm generous).. It would be beautiful and perfect in every way. But then how do I get it to you? Send it in the post? It probably wouldn't look so good at the other end. Or, I could get a really expensive camera and take a picture of it and email it to you. You could tell the difference of course, but you'd still know what the picture looked like and still see that it was beautiful.

I do see your point though. I have heard some amazing things from vinyl, particularly Linn's Sondek LP12, but even now a top example is £7000 second hand! For a turntable! My CD player on the other hand was £1000 second hand. I really would have to concentrate to tell the difference with most recordings.

Hmm.. I guess the geek and audiophile in me fell out! Mr. Green 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #32699 9th Dec 2008 12:05 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

So should I upgrade from my 8-track? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #32702 9th Dec 2008 12:27 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I thought there were some questions about DAB, like some stations using very low bit rates, there being no standard plus I've heard it said that current DAB may not last very long.

Anyone know any more about the future of DAB? Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #32703 9th Dec 2008 3:57 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

When you get old and grey and become and old fart, your hearing loses its effectivnes and then it doesnt matter what music system you have fitted Rolling with laughter

To be honest I cant really tell the difference from the Alpine in my HSE to the standard system in my last car (BMW), although its good enough for my ears Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32705 9th Dec 2008 7:55 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

chicken george wrote:
So should I upgrade from my 8-track?

Funny you should say that CG, I've still got one of those, and it still works ok Embarassed ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #32708 9th Dec 2008 9:22 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Keep the 8 track but consider an upgrade to Fm Medium wave may have had it's day Thumbs Up

Post #32712 9th Dec 2008 9:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>