Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Snow chains.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Frobius wrote:
Don't you need 4?

No, on the Freelander 2 only one pair fitted to the front wheels - as specified in that well read document the Owner Manual Wink .

Post #36663 8th Feb 2009 2:52 pm
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Podcast wrote:
Am I missing something, but why do you need snowchains in the UK? Shocked I went up and down this 1 in 6 gradient hill yesterday (Walbury Hill) on hard packed snow/ice with no problems, HDC worked a treat on the way down... standard tyres with about 6 or 7mm of tread!

The fact that it is the UK is not relevant, it is the conditions that decide.

Convert your scene to night time with heavy snow still falling - would you still be undertaking your journey? I have covered several hundred miles in the snowy recent days in my Freelander 2, much of it on rural roads in the conditions you describe. This included trips into and around "standstill" Basingstoke and return legs over Zigzag Hill and Spread-Eagle Hill (1 in 4 or 25% gradient) near Shaftesbury during the worst part of the conditions (both roads closed by the time I completed each run). I have not "needed" the snow chains or fitted them and have not lost traction at all, however, I do have winter tyres fitted.

The snow chains are my backup for such conditions and also to meet legal requirements to carry chains in parts of central Europe if/when I go there. There is also the fact that I am self employed and use my car for business, so a) not getting to work may mean no earnings and b) business use implies consideration of risk and Health and Safety aspects. I also carry mundane things like a shovel and tow rope, mostly for the benefit of others Rolling Eyes .

The Freelander 2 is good but not invincible and I prefer to avoid getting into an awkward situation, or worse causing avoidable damage or injury. A couple or earlier replies have set possible scenarios. Get it right and lots of fun and satisfaction though Very Happy

On an "Old Gits" theme, I started driving back in the days of cross-ply cr@p tyres when chains were essential on snow and ice, also I have the benefit of some winter driving in Scandinavia and Central Europe and learnt the hard way how easy it is to get stuck Embarassed

Post #36664 8th Feb 2009 3:42 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Fair comment ref. having them in mainland Europe, where snow is on the ground for a good few months of the year. However, I think when we get abit of snow, everybody get's abit over excited and starts discussing chains? Sure, the FL2 isn't invincible, but it will cope with 99.999% of driving on British roads.

In answer to your question, I would not have been going up there if it had been dark & snowing and we went up there for a walk! Laughing

Post #36671 8th Feb 2009 4:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Those who bought the JEKO snowchains

Have you used them? If so how was they?

Also are these suitable for the Police Requirements in the French Alps?

Would they fit 19" Shadow Chrome Alloys, if not, would they fit 17" SE Alloys with off road tires? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #49503 29th Oct 2009 7:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123