« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Daft Sat Nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Daft Sat Nav

I don't use our fl2 that often but I took it on my 100 mile commute to Manchester yesterday and what a great motorway car it is. A lot quicker, more stable and quieter than I expected -Very impressed, and that coming from someone who has one of the best motorway cars ever built (crap in a muddy field though Laughing ).
Anyway - I set the satnav to home (Leeds) and set off. It was ok through manchester - didn't anticipate some of my short cuts but that's fair enough. But - on getting on the M60/M62 exit, it tried to turn me around and send me back down the M60. Ignoring it, I drove up the M62 and at every exit, it tried to take me off the motorway. Shocked J19, J20 etc - hardly the most sensible route to Leeds from the M62.
I checked the settings and all the 'avoid' options appear to be turned off (are in blue rather than red anyway).
I accept all satnavs make the odd mistake but this is crazy -
What am I doing wrong? Is there a 'shortest/fastest' route option of something or did it just fancy a bit of off-roading Very Happy ? 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #32377 2nd Dec 2008 12:54 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

best thing is to have a look at the 3 routes and make a educated guess on which one to use on the time, distance and most of all your knowledge.

I had this the other week going to a village near burton on trent, instead of M1 -A38 it took me down the M1 and A52 and 5 miles a Censored narrow lanes and average speed camera. a 1:40min trip took 2 hours Evil or Very Mad

Worst of all i got stuck behind a BMW X6 - B'heck they are one ugly car Neutral Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #32378 2nd Dec 2008 1:22 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had a discovery for the weekend a while back, and the 50 minute journey from Peterborough to Leicester took us 1 1/2 hours, taking us all the back routes through Corby etc. rather than A14/M1. I switched it off after that.

They are good, but you have to use your common sense, and think about which route it's taking you.

Worst thing was the time remaining calculation, for the 1st 30 minutes, it stuck at about 40-45 minutes remaining, even though I was doing on or over the legal limit. After then it went down at a rate of 1 minute for every 2/3 minutes of driving, until we were about 20 minutes away, very strange.

Rich

Post #32386 2nd Dec 2008 2:35 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i've had the come off at next exit and then straight back on to the motorway too Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #32388 2nd Dec 2008 2:38 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

get a garmin and stick it on the front of the factory sat-nav screen with blue tack Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #32396 2nd Dec 2008 4:40 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

chicken george wrote:
get a garmin and stick it on the front of the factory sat-nav screen with blue tack Laughing

chicken george wrote:
get a garmin and stick it on the front of the factory sat-nav screen with blue tack Laughing

I have a garmin in my other car and that sends me some strange routes as well. The main advantage of the garmin though is I can download safety camera alerts.
Both of the units want to bring me off the A55 about 15 miles before my exit and take me along narrow country roads and through small villages. Both units are set correctly. I think they all use the same basic route programme.
While in France this summer it did work well but it did take a few minutes to find me when we drove off the ferry. (But that is mentioned in the car handbook).
Hopefully these things will be improved as time goes on.

Still the best car I have ever had.

waaxh03

Post #32488 3rd Dec 2008 8:51 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I have stopped using mine and reverted to my trusty Tomtom sticking the windscreen mount on the built in sat nav.

it has speed cameras and speed limit reminder. Plus it is a lot easier to work out where you need to turn off. I hate that countdown thing very confusing 

Post #32520 4th Dec 2008 11:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1