« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Sale of Goods Act
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Sale of Goods Act

Anyone know anything about the current Sale of Goods Acts?

I bought a fairly expensive load area liner via eBay in May 2015 which started falling apart within a year, unfortunately I waited until now to complain, the seller has said

No warranty is given or intended on this item due to the nature of its purpose. Its meant for dogs to sit on , to load items on into your boot. It will take punishment thats why its there. We offer a 30 days returns policy , its been 2 years. I'm only offering a partial refund as a goodwill gesture ,if thast isnt satisfactory please feel free to contact who you need to.

Can they really dismiss their obligations under the Sale of Goods Acts so easily?

Post #319570 16th Mar 2017 6:27 pm
Dreamer

United Kingdom 

Sorry OP but I think the seller is being reasonable.

Post #319574 16th Mar 2017 7:40 pm
Still Lost in France

That's not what I asked, I want to know if someone can legally sell something without any warranty.

Post #319575 16th Mar 2017 7:50 pm
Dreamer

United Kingdom 

Forgive me for not answering the exact request you had, but this is a forum and in case you haven't got it, responses are by the nature fluid. Also people don't always give you the answer you want.

Then again, I don't buy anything off ebay, because I simply don't trust what is sold on it.

Post #319581 16th Mar 2017 8:26 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Difficult one , if I were the seller of a boot liner, I would say that it had served its purpose exactly as it has, and the failure was down to ordinary wear and tear. If you disagree under the now defunct Sale of Goods Act you have 6 years from the date of purchase to take him to court in the UK, (Less is Scotland ) . After 6 months of ownership the onus is on you to prove the defect, not him to disprove it . Basically you are stuffed,

You can of course threaten him with every paragraph you can find on the internet regarding what you think your consumer rights are, but in real life he knows that you will not take him to court over something that is worth say a hundred quid to a hundred and fifty quid. Take his offer and put it towards a custom made Rhino liner Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #319585 16th Mar 2017 8:43 pm
taztastic

England 

Still Lost in France wrote:
That's not what I asked, I want to know if someone can legally sell something without any warranty.

YES

Post #319586 16th Mar 2017 8:54 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

This is my cup of tea so to speak and in my qualified opinion, you do not have a strong case here (at face value). He is not dismissing his obligations under SOGA, he is saying he offers no warranty. A warranty is up to the manufacturer/seller and is completely separate to your rights under SOGA.

You purchased in May 2015 so you would come under SOGA as opposed to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which came into force on 01/10/15 and replaced SOGA and other legislation. The essence is the same though and we can say that it is fit for the purpose of being a boot liner.

The argument ultimately boils down to durability under S.14 of the Act. Now, if it had hardly been used and at that for light usage such as shopping, you might have a case if it started falling apart. However, I presume it has had heavier use than that because they are generally purchased to save the boot from getting battered. On top of that, you are only just reporting it to him so he would be entitled to respond in any litigation by saying it can't be that unsatisfactory if you have waited around a year before raising it!

His offer is very reasonable and I think shows that he cares because many would just tell you to go away or words to that effect. Take the money and bail out Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #319589 16th Mar 2017 9:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Even if it was offered with a years warranty, its two years ago When you bought it, what makes you think they should honour anything, you can't prove it's not been used for a year or how you used it to fall apart

Again think the response gives more than I would have offered Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #319592 16th Mar 2017 10:01 pm
Still Lost in France

I don't expect anything, I just wanted to know if a seller could just dismiss any legal obligation.

In another reply it was clear they don't know their responsibilities when they said 'When i get returns i return them to my supplier who refunds me then i refund the buyer'.

Post #319596 16th Mar 2017 10:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

You didn't expect anything yet you contacted him regards a warranty claim Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #319598 17th Mar 2017 12:05 am
Still Lost in France

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Compared to others on the market, it was expensive and as it had a green oval LR badge on it, I did expect better quality.

Post #319599 17th Mar 2017 12:11 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Dreamer

Dreamer wrote:

Then again, I don't buy anything off ebay, because I simply don't trust what is sold on it.

Is that because you've had a bad experience in the past.

Ive bought lots a varied stuff from Ebay - furniture, car parts, chemicals, oils, SCUBA gear, bicycle parts to mention just a few and had no more issues than if Id bought from the high street. You do need to check where they are coming from and ask the seller questions before purchase. Ive sold stuff on Ebay too without issues (eg recently sold some old computer RAM and CPU for much more than I expected.) Jules

Post #319605 17th Mar 2017 7:43 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Still Lost in France wrote:
If you don't ask, you don't get.

Compared to others on the market, it was expensive and as it had a green oval LR badge on it, I did expect better quality.

if you bought a OEM mat from a dealer (if it was a LR dealers eBay account) then don't OEM parts come with come with 2 years warranty? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #319619 17th Mar 2017 12:37 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

genuine brand new parts maybe, but not sure about accessories.

I would say take the sellers offer and walk away, its the best your going to get.

anything can be sold without warranty, as long as its stated so, even a car. But for certain items (such as cars) there are various acts to protect buyers outside of warranty subject to meeting set criteria. (don't ask me what criteria though)

Post #319622 17th Mar 2017 1:13 pm
Longdave

United Kingdom 

OP - I am guessing that you are aware of the EU 2 year SOG warranty directive:
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumer_rig...dex_en.htm

This has been only partially adopted by UK therefore many grey areas.

IMHO the seller has made a fair offer, if you wish in future to buy with full EU regs then safer for you to buy within France (or other EU country if you do homework)

Post #319624 17th Mar 2017 1:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1