« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitted an Oil Seperator \ Catch Can
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Fitted an Oil Seperator \ Catch Can

I had a starting problem (which eventually got fixed with a software update), in the course of investigating this I bought an IID tool, which recently flagged up a failed Glow Plug. Researching what was involved in a glow plug change led me to the intake manifold, which led me into swirl flap problems, which led me into gunking up issue which led me into EGR problems which led me to the PCV which led me up to the rather infamous oil drip from the air intake pipe joint.

Let me just state I am no mechanic, I can follow instructions and do my own maintainence to a certain extent, but I may well have got some of the following wrong.

So, the gunky EGR and swirl flaps can be helped by simply fitting an EGR blanking plate, so I ordered one of those and fitted it. As can be seen for the pic below the pipe was beginning to gunk up, it really was a thick oily sludge. I'll address the swirl flaps, maybe removing them, when I get around to doing the glow plugs later in the year when its warmed up a bit.

The fix for the oil drip at the air inlet pipe joint is to simply replace the oem clip with a tightened up jubilee clip. Except that doesn't really fix the problem, it just stops it being visible. The real problem is the oil shouldn't really be there in the first place. So just a bit of history that I have gleaned on PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). When an engine is running, pressure builds up in it, to reduce this pressure the engine is ventillated via the PCV pipe. This used to be open to the air, but the air that came out was full of oil vapours, so in these enviornmentally enlightened days things changed. The oil vapours were routed back into the engine via the air intake pipe after the air filter. The Freelander does have mechanisms (oil mist sepeartors) built into it but they obviously have limited use as can be observed by the oil dripping from the air filter pipe. Consequently this oily air gets fed into the turbo and pistons and just helps to gunk things up especially when mixed with recyled soot from the EGR.

So research into this led me intitially onto Catch Cans and then Oil Separators. There isn't much about these in the Freelander forum but there is quite a bit in the Defender Forum, and I eventually decided I would not fit a Catch Can, but have a go at fitting a Provent 200 Oil Separator as the Defenders have done. Either device is simply placed inline in the pcv hose, in the case of the catch can, the oil mist enters through the input pipe, the oil returns to liquid form as it condenses on the internal surfaces, some will have a wire mesh inside to enhance the surface area, and the now cleaner air exits the catch can via its output pipe, which is routed back to the air intake. Every now again you have to empty your catch can of oil.

The Provent is similar, except it is not designed to store the captured oil. It has a filter built into it that the oil mist must pass though before it can get back to the output pipe, the captured oil drains to the bottom where it can exit via an oil drain pipe, the intention of this drain pipe is to route the oil back to the sump, thus reducing any oil loss. The Provent also has an inbuilt safety release valve that will vent off any pressure should the filter get blocked. A further attraction of the Provent 200 is the bore size of its pipes are slightly larger than the bore size of the Freelanders PCV hose. One of the things you have to be careful with is not to reduce bore sizes of any of the pipework or connectors as this can lead to pressure build up back in the engine resulting in things like the dip stick blowing out of its holder.

So I ordered a Provent, (with the optional non-return valve, more on that later). It's pretty expensive, especially when compared to a simple Catch Can. When I unpackaged the Provent it was a bit bigger than I was expecting, but I wasn't worried as there is quite a bit of space in the engine bay around the air filter. Lots of space there may be, but finding somewhere to fix it to took quite a bit of fiddling, positioning, re-positioning, head scratching, pondering and general leaning and staring into the engine bay. The provent comes with a bracket which mostly gets in the way. Even with that removed, everywhere I placed it, there seemd to be a bit of Freelander that was always just in the way. On one of my lean and stare moments, contemplating drilling holes in the chassis, I wedged the Provent to one side, looked at where I had wedged it and thought sod it, I'll just cable tie it in place there.

Click image to enlarge

If I thought the Provent was expensive it was nothing compared to the price of the pipe work. As mentioned, you have to make sure you don't get an obstruction that can cause pressure build up back in the engine. If you don't use piping that is designed to carry oil \ oil vapours, over time the oil will degrade the pipe and it can become soft, even gooey and can collapse onto itself causing a blockage. So the recommended piping is Fluro Lined which isn't cheap. I got Fluro lined piping, Pipe Reducers and an Elbow. Reducers should ring some alarm bells but the bore size of the original Freelander PCV pipe is 19mm ID (Inside Diameter), and the Provent has 25mm OD (Outside Diameter) so in my case the piping goes from 19mm to 25mm so the Reducers are actually Expanders.

With the Provent professionaly cable tied in place, it was just a case of connecting everything up. The hardest part is removing the existing short PVC pipe, I had to wedge a tool up the inside the pipe to break the seal, and with further gentle levering of a flat blade screw driver I was able to prise the old pipe off. The 19mm Elbow went on here, next a 19mm straight through connector, next the new 19mm pipe, another 19mm connector to the 19mm - 25mm expander and onto the Provent Input pipe. The other 25mm - 19mm reducer on to the Provent Output pipe and a 19mm connector to the 19mm pipe.

Click image to enlarge

Now the original plan was to get the Air Intake Pipe connector and just turn it around and push the 19mm pipe straight onto it. However it is bonded in place and it isn't going to move. So I had to get a 19mm U bend, with another 19mm connector. Now everything is almost connected up.

Click image to enlarge

For the provent oil drain hose, I got some clear tubing (you can see it in pic3 at the base of the provent) which at the moment I have just plugged up the end, so the oil will just be captured for now. When I change the glow plugs and remove the intake manifold I will probably connect this pipe into the sump drain pipe via a T-Piece connector. This is where the optional non-return valve comes in, it sits inline in provent drain pipe, but away from the Provent, to stop oil from the sump making its way up back up the piping. When the engine is running oil captured by the Provent drains and collects behind this valve, when the engine stops, the oil can drain past it into the sump.

There has always been a fair bit of oil in my air intake pipe whenever I have removed it so it will be interesting to see how much oil I capture.

So this wasn't exactly cheap, approx £275

Provent with Optional One Way Valve: £119.
Ordered from:Multifactor Europe Ltd (mfeuk)

All the Fluro Lined piping I got from SFS Performance.
(their web site is difficult to use and checkout doesn't work, I had to phone both orders through to them)
1 x meter hose : £57
2 x 19mm - 25mm Reducers: £33
1 x 19mm Elbow : £18
1 x 19mm U Bend : £21
Delivery : £ 6

ebay
4 x 19mm OD Gates Oil Resistant Connectors : £19
1 x meter Clear Hose : £ 2 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #317307 11th Feb 2017 11:31 pm
grod

Australia 

I didn't think this was an issue so decided to crack the plastic intake pipe after the crankcase union. I found that oil was sitting on the lower part of the pipe, not just some residue but legit black gold.

How does the oil go in the intercooler?

Could there be some lubrication of the turbo that was planned by LR or is this just a consequence of the crankcase breather having to go somewhere without ruining the planet even faster?

g

Post #317318 12th Feb 2017 4:28 am
shiggsy

Well due to my bike being off the road for 3 weeks waiting for parts to come in, I have been using the Freelander, so after 900 miles of use I had a peek inside the Provent, certainly seems to have oil travelling thought it.

Last edited by shiggsy on 12th Mar 2017 11:42 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #319275 11th Mar 2017 7:46 pm
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

didnt understand the last bit Confused 1978 Laverda Jota. Stolen...
1980 Honda CBX1000 6cyl.
1978 Laverda Montjuic.
2010 Yamaha MT01.

Post #319309 11th Mar 2017 11:22 pm
shiggsy

Edited and added the key word 'oil' into the sentence. I don't use the Freelander a lot so it might have taken many months to see if any oil is being diverted through the Provent, with the bike down for maintenance I had to use the Freelander for 3 weeks of commuting.

The image is a view into the Provent from the top, it's quite clearly extracted a significant amount of oil from the air. Not sure how much as I haven't examined the drain tube yet. 

Post #319331 12th Mar 2017 11:48 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Is this the same for an Auto FL or just for a manual FL ? where is the best place to obtain the Fluro hoses please.

Post #340262 23rd Jan 2018 2:18 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I have not seen this post before but its a lot of expense over a few drops of oil and yes mine does the same and I just wipe it all clean now and then. Or am I missing something ? Great write up though.

Going back 45 years ago BMC modified the Morris Oxford and similar and introduced a crankcase breather system, this was ostensibly to reduce crankcase pressure and stop oil leaks. I modded quite a few over many months under warranty. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340266 23rd Jan 2018 3:23 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

rather than the cost of a few drops of oil, it's the damage those few drops of oil do when they form a solid gunk in the inlet manifold that seems to be the benefit of capturing the oil. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #340282 23rd Jan 2018 6:35 pm
Yorky Bob

Good point. I use a fuel additive. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340305 23rd Jan 2018 9:28 pm
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Yorky Bob wrote:
I have not seen this post before but its a lot of expense over a few drops of oil and yes mine does the same and I just wipe it all clean now and then. Or am I missing something ? Great write up though.

Going back 45 years ago BMC modified the Morris Oxford and similar and introduced a crankcase breather system, this was ostensibly to reduce crankcase pressure and stop oil leaks. I modded quite a few over many months under warranty.

Have one, but it has oil everywhere Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Is there any way to servic/clean the PCV system to prevent the amount of oil into the inlet? I guess a worn turbo also migth contribute to some oil in the intake. Mine has more than enough oil in the intake system. Its even some traces of oil leakage at the intercooler inlet:

Click image to enlarge

I am giving a "#%¤"#¤ at this right now, but something needs to be done sooner or later. The question is more, how much oil in the system is OK?? Oil weeoing at all the joints in the inlet system seem to me to be excessive.

Post #340324 24th Jan 2018 6:18 am
Badger51

Australia 

That sort of mess on the intercooler could possibly be due to a crack in the intercooler itself. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #340327 24th Jan 2018 8:51 am
Yorky Bob

Agreed as above FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340328 24th Jan 2018 9:00 am
shiggsy

Arctic wrote:
where is the best place to obtain the Fluro hoses please.

"All the Fluro Lined piping I got from SFS Performance. "

Yorky Bob wrote:
but its a lot of expense over a few drops of oil

Especially as I only do 3-4k miles per year Smile I was just interested in doing it really. 

Post #340345 24th Jan 2018 11:31 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Yorky Bob wrote:
Agreed as above

definitely either a cracked intercooler (I replaced mine twice) or a faulty hose connection - either way your FL2 is politely asking for attention - before either the hose splits or the intercooler fails properly.

Either way it will happen miles from home, probably fully laden, going up a steep incline - that's sods law for you Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #340361 24th Jan 2018 2:11 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

The big problem with all this crap going back towards the cylinders PCV is that it clogs up the turbo, intercooler, inlet manifold, EGR device, inlet valve stems and valves. With direct injection the muck doesnt get washed away and slows builds up and causes issues long term. Jules

Post #340370 24th Jan 2018 3:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>