« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Spare parts when going off roading
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mad85

Malta 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue
Spare parts when going off roading

hey guys, we are thinking about going for an overland offroad trip. Apart from the usual supplies (extra fuel, few ropes, extra battery), what other spare parts would you suggest that I should take with me? Since I have a manual, I was even thinking about taking a clutch kit - i know you cannot change a clutch kit on the side of the road, but if I take it to a garage, I wont have to wait for the parts, not sure if its an overkill Smile

Anyway, I am curious to hear what others take with them...

cheers
Mark

Post #312854 8th Dec 2016 7:16 pm
Rooftop

United Kingdom 

Hi there I've traveled with d1 and 110 and recently bought a fl2 carried spares for both d1 and 110 never used them if your landie is serviced and your not traveling more than the recommended service interval why take spares that said good spares too carry as a precaution air filter , oils , water ,fuel filter , fuses , oil filter , two X wheel bearings and your self recovery gear first aid etc I now only carry minimum best thing too have is good break down insurance ,I would consider this a priority

Post #312856 8th Dec 2016 7:44 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Take at least three air filters and a fuel filter or two. An extra spare wheel, and an inner tube - yes I know our tyres are tubeless, but a tube will get you to a garage when an acacia tree takes out two tyres.
A cabin filter would be good, as would the micky mouse valve that shuts off the air intake.
Crank sensors fail, are cheapish and will stop the engine.

Rear pads only last 20k so these will suffer in dusty climates, they are easy to change, and cheap.
Wheel bearings can fail, but they will be noisy for quite a while, same fits all 4 wheels.

I was lucky when I went to Morocco in the FL1, the local LR dealer in Stockport sold me a big box of spares on sale or return basis - used all the air/oil/fuel filters, ruined a wheel, punctured two tyres, destroyed the exhaust - fitted one from a Nissan to get me home.

Get her serviced before you go. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #312858 8th Dec 2016 8:38 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Also do not forget to remove things you do not need like your local street directory.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tyre puncture kit
Jumper leads (proper welding cable etc - 50mm2 copper cross section)
We had 2 x 18ah batteries set up with Anderson connecters for jump starting.
Multimeter
Fire extinguisher
I also had a snatch stap & 6 metre extension strap, shackles (NEVER join 2 ropes with them)

I will get one of these for the next trip
http://www.bogout.com/

Click image to enlarge

Sun shade for windows
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Brush to dust off the back before opening. It mite seam pedantic but it does slow the dust getting in. Brushing the rear bummer saves your clothes from leaning into the car. I also have a small squeeggee to clean the windscreen & lights every time we filled up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A range of water containers. We had a 20L, 10L, 3x 5L & a handful of 1 & 0.5L up the front. Always pour into a cup to keep container clean to save cleaning.

Front seat covers are worthwhile.
Click image to enlarge

Metho stove, I have a lighter fuel stove which it brilliant & reasonable compact, but the metho stove is a lot safer & even more compact but it is slower. But we do not fry any meals while camping so it saves a lot of cleaning which saves carrying extra stuff.
Click image to enlarge

We also had a tarpaulin & poles for an awning, but never used it. Also 'car window socks' for the rear windows for ventilation when we slept in the car. Also head nets for flies, worth their weight 10 times in gold!

Remove the front footwell globes & boot globe if you are on an extended trip. It stops the Low battery warning coming on so often & turn off the ceiling lights. If you are hovering around the car camping don't fully close the doors until you go to bed. Every time you open a door it triggers the car. In six weeks holiday a saw 3 cars modern cars with flat batteries. Others beat me to it to offer a jump start. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 8th Dec 2016 10:55 pm. Edited 8 times in total

Post #312871 8th Dec 2016 9:45 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Don't they say that if you want to go into the bush take a LandRover, if you want to come out take a Toyota? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #312872 8th Dec 2016 9:52 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

With the ready availability of spare parts from Toyotas that weren't worth fixing (and are now being broken instead), I am told that it's very true... Thumbs Up

Post #312875 8th Dec 2016 10:21 pm
mad85

Malta 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

thanks for all the replies. a service kit is a good idea and also a couple of tubes. I like the roof rack but i think it is too much for me.

Post #312877 8th Dec 2016 10:39 pm
Lightwater

The roof rack is a redesign after my holiday to remove the weight of the roof platform so it can be replaced by another 20 litres of fuel.

More photos here:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27606.html

Better to carry a full spare 5th & 6th wheel & a tire repair kit, as well as a compressor. Replacing a tire is hard and painful. Leather builders gloves to save knuckles changing a wheel are priceless, & you have clean hands when finished!

A lot of good info on this site:
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods/tyres-wheels
I have had a stone go through a tyre! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #312879 8th Dec 2016 10:59 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I second the builders gloves, Imagine, it's 35C in the shade, you have just driven 1/4 mile with a flat tyre (well you were doing 80mph off road - hence the puncture), you jack her up, undo the nuts and grab the wheel - the burns WILL need medical attention, miles from anywhere. Got that Tee shirt.

Then again unloading the whole car looking for the jack might allow the wheel to cool. - Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #314008 28th Dec 2016 1:32 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

You need one of these if you are really going for it.

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/EP-PLB.aspx

Saved my arse a year ago when I fell off a mountain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35278434 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #314017 28th Dec 2016 2:27 pm
Lightwater

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Don't they say that if you want to go into the bush take a LandRover, if you want to come out take a Toyota?

A myth from decades ago, & people still believe it with their lives out here & die in the outback due to car broken down & no spare water. Happens every year. If it not a Toyota, it probably is a Nissan. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #315048 11th Jan 2017 8:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1