« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Puddle problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
puddle problems cont'd.

This problem is common to all 4x4's due to the geater clearance bewteen the wheels and wheel arches as previous posters have stated but mainly due to the greater ground clearance under the vehicle.On a car as soon as the water hits the underside of the vehicle which is probably only 9 to12 inches from the ground it is forced sideways and away from the car as can be seen if you watch any TV shots of rally cars going through a ford.
However with the greater clearance of a 4x4 maybe 20 inches the water has time to be forced up and over the bonnet (hood for our US readers) as I experienced on Saturday whilst running as a Course car on the Cambrian rally in North Wales when we hit a water splash at approx 40/50 mph and the water actually completely covered the whole FL2 and we were completly unsighted. Fortunately it was a straight section of forest track and the wipers where on auto and cleared the screen very quickly but it was a bum tightening moment.

On a related matter has anyone tried after it has rained to see how long they can keep the pool of rainwater on the bonnet without it flowing over the back or running back off the front.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #30393 3rd Nov 2008 8:36 pm
Rowy

I agree that 4x4s suffer more from this problem.
However has anyone suffered from water coming up through the peddles?
I hit a big big puddle (flood actually) at 60mph stood on the brakes and was ankle deep in water. she handled it very well though no aqua-planning! new undies required!!

Rowy

Post #30395 3rd Nov 2008 9:01 pm
Toolking

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

I spent the week before last in the lake district and was having great fun splashing through all of the water sitting in dips in the road. The FL2 certainly throws a lot of water into the air. The best fun was rounding a corner alongside Ullswater to find waves coming towards me - the lake had risen enough to cover the road.

On one sunny day we went over a rise in the road to find myself heading towards a dip flooded, a few inches deep, for around 20feet. The look of terror on the face on the driver of the car coming the other way was something to behold -But then driving an MX5 with the hood down in such conditions was perhaps not a wise move on his behalf. Laughing He who dies with the most tools wins!

Post #30397 3rd Nov 2008 9:11 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

On the problem of the deluging, F/l1s are a lot worse than the current vehicle.
On the problem of water ingress around the feet I think it is coming through the steering column bulkhead grommet, less speed cures the problem! still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #30400 3rd Nov 2008 9:24 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Just had the same fun in the Lake District last week after there big floods the weekend before,freelander handled really well in the floods, the single track road round lake coniston was really a good test 18'' of water in most places never missed a beat as for puddles it did splash over quite a lot but without mudflaps and the auto wipers i think it could have been worse,but after 6 weeks of ownership and 1800 miles it has passed all my tests. Very Happy Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #30402 3rd Nov 2008 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Yes, have certainly noticed the water splashing onto the screen. A friend who has covered more than a few a few miles in my car also commented on just this point recently, when we were charging around the Lake District in the recent heavy rain. We did Wrynose and Hardnott passes in the worst weather you can imagine (but it was fun!)

A couple of days later we were driving in convoy, my friend was in front in his VW Phaeton. He was deliberately looking for the standing water and watching the difference in the way his car went through followed by me, there is no doubt the FL2 just loves to throw the water up. It was quite obvious his car was throwing the water sideways and out where mine was throwing it up and over the car. Driving in rain this is not a problem because the wipers are already in motion, but when the rain has stopped and its a matter of driving through standing water then I've learned that the wipers need to come on just before you hit the water. I don't see this as a problem, but its a very odd characteristic .... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #30423 4th Nov 2008 12:58 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

After all the muddy water been thrown up is making the car dirty, and Land Rover should be dirty

Unless you have just spent 9 hours polishing and waxing it Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30427 4th Nov 2008 11:03 am
CumbrianCanary

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

It sure was fun up in here in the Lakes a couple of weekends ago. I had to help out a MR2 that had got stuck in the floods whilst I was out playing. Really impressed with what the Freelander would go through. Mine did splash lots of water of the bonnet etc but it looks good now covered in mud!!

Post #30458 4th Nov 2008 6:55 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I'll be in the lakes soon for a nice weekend away Thumbs Up

I'm not towing my accommodation there, We shall be staying in style http://www.rothaygarden.com/ At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #30461 4th Nov 2008 7:55 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

look nice CG, do they accept farmers though Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30464 4th Nov 2008 8:06 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

FOR ROWY

I too have had a wet foot after driving through some deep water.

My garage found that the grommet around the steering coloumn, where it goes through the bulkhead, had not been fitted correctly.

Hope that helps you.

Post #30468 4th Nov 2008 8:30 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
look nice CG, do they accept farmers though Whistle

They will roll out the red carpet, although most places do roll out an old carpet in front of me to protect their real carpet At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #30472 4th Nov 2008 8:47 pm
Rowy

Thanks Nazca Sand Eddie

I'll get my mechanic to have a look underneath and investigate, I've been left with a lovely smell of stagnent drain water coming from under the seats.
also got a vibrating sound eminating from the left underside-possibly a displaced heat guard??

Rowy

Post #30530 6th Nov 2008 1:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12