« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Vibration/Buzzing noise from front speaker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
daviesje

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
Vibration/Buzzing noise from front speaker

This had been driving me crazy for a couple of years. I had never really got around to sorting it out, but like others on the forum had detected that it was coming from the LH & RH speakers or speaker covers. I tried prising out the speaker covers based on a thread here, but got to the point where so much force was required it felt like I was going to break something so I gave up. So, had another go yesterday and found that I first had to remove the A-post trim that covers the airbags as there is a speaker cover securing screw underneath it. Better to shown in pictures:

This shows the A-post trim removed. To remove it you prise out the plastic "Airbag" tag and undo the torx screw underneath. Don't worry, it is retained and will not drop out of the trim. Pull the trim back from the top towards you and when near horizontal the "hook and eye" fitting at the bottom can be unhooked (replacement is the reverse of this process). You will then see the torx screw that retains the speaker cover.

This shows the speaker cover removed. Remove by first prising out at the edge nearest to you where there is a metal spring clip. There is a second metal spring clip about half way along the cover. Keep lifting the front edge up until these two clips are lifted out. The front (windscreen) edge is held in place by a hook so you then need to slide the cover back towards you to finally remove it. You can see these clips and hook in the picture below.

Looking for the source of the vibration/buzzing I checked the speaker retaining screws - they were all tight. It was not obvious what was causing the noise so I applied little bits of thin felt tape in all the places where there was plastic-to-plastic contact. I also wrapped felt tape around the plastic hook on the cover as it looked like this was a very loose fit. Not sure what bit fixed the problem, but it has gone. I repeated this process on the passenger side too.

Click image to enlarge

This shows the removed cover before I applied the bits of felt tape. The metal spring clips and the plastic hook can be seen.

Hope this helps someone!

Post #311506 20th Nov 2016 11:09 am
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Thanks daviesje - one for the 'to do' list. I have a similar buzz on the LH one. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #311978 24th Nov 2016 10:18 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

That's a good post - very helpful Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #312005 25th Nov 2016 6:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1