« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sunroof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Sunroof

Does anyone have a sunroof on their freelander 2? Paul (in another thread in the forum) says that it is a bit noisy - due to wind, I think - even when closed! Is that true? any other problems with sunroofs?

Post #1948 12th Mar 2007 11:49 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

In order to avoid misunderstandings: it was only noisy at high speeds. Personally I'm quite senstitive to this due to my profession (working in automotive glass manufacturing). The noice can be due to the design of the sunroof but also to the curvature of the glass. Even very small deviations cause different noice levels so with a bit of luck, it is possible you will never hear it.

Post #1950 12th Mar 2007 12:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
carvalho

Portugal 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi guys,

In january, I tested a FL2 TD4 HSE with sunroof and I didn't notice any wind noise. The trip wasn't fast but enough to notice that. It was so good the I bought one with sunroof.
I will be delivery by the end of this month.

Regards.

Post #1952 12th Mar 2007 12:56 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I remember my first Freelander 1 in 1998. It had a sunroof and you could hear various 'cricking' sounds at every turn of the car. I hope and believe that Freelander 2 will be 'premium' in this sector too.

Post #1962 12th Mar 2007 11:33 pm
andymac

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I tested two FL2's at my local dealership in Reading - both were a bit noisy from the sunroof at motorway/dual carriageway speeds upwards of 70mph.

I'm not particularly bothered as I spend most of my time on back roads and country lanes, but someone who drives a lot on motorways may get a bit tired of it after a while.

Post #2110 25th Mar 2007 9:56 am
Joiner_8

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

andymac wrote:
I tested two FL2's at my local dealership in Reading - both were a bit noisy from the sunroof at motorway/dual carriageway speeds upwards of 70mph.

I'm not particularly bothered as I spend most of my time on back roads and country lanes, but someone who drives a lot on motorways may get a bit tired of it after a while.

I had a road test of a FL2's at my local dealership in Perth - and did not notice any noise from the sunroof at motorway/dual carriageway speeds upwards of 70mph.
I am wait on delivery of my new FL2, hopefully next week.

Post #2111 25th Mar 2007 10:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gwhiting

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
Sunroof wind noise + button logic

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but when my FL2 SE last went in (for a list of problems), I complained about the noise from the sunroof and they said it wasn't noisy.

I notice it at anything above about 60, and by 70+ it's having an impact on conversation. Not really acceptable in this modern world - I had cars 10-15 years ago that you wouldn't know had a sunroof they were so quiet. I'm now looking at fitting roof bars and will probably go for the Thule option as I can't face any more noise.

Out of interest, has anyone else noticed that the sunroof buttons appear to be wrongly labelled - you press the one with the picture of the tilt to get it to slide back, and the picture of the slide to get it to tilt.

It's really my wife's car so I don't drive it enought to remember which to press and always end up with the "fighter jet taking off" noise as it slides back at 70(+) mph, when I just wanted it to tilt! Very Happy

Any feedback, anyone on the sunroof noise (when closed) problem?

Cheers Freelander 2 SE manual
Stornoway Grey
Alpaca

Post #23238 30th Jun 2008 3:29 pm
carvalho

Portugal 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi,

I have de same problems.
And the buttons are wrongly labelled.

Post #23244 30th Jun 2008 4:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I do get a slight noise when driving, does not effect the conversation though

I had mine "adjusted", but looked exactly the same when they brought it back, they said there will be a slight noise due to the small gap in between the front and rear glass panels.

Never been bothered to masking tape it off to find out if they was taking Censored

There is a noticeable difference between sunroof and non sunroofed models, the latter been very quiet Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23245 30th Jun 2008 4:52 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Mines quiet with the sunroof shut.

Post #23265 30th Jun 2008 7:04 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Yes

Yes, I noticed the noise of the sunroof when I test drove an FL2 in early 2007, as soon as I turned the radio off. I was slightly surprised about it, and talked to the dealer rep. He mentioned that some customers had deliberately ordered a their FL2 without a sunroof, because of the noise issue. I risked it, on my order, and have to say that in reality my sunroof, is not really a problem noisy at all! Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #23302 1st Jul 2008 12:36 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

As most comments so far seem a bit diffuse, I will add by five-bobs worth of moonroof knowledge for those that may be sceptical to have or not have. Question

I have the Moonroof (sunroof) fitted on my FL2 and can confirm that there is no wind noise or cricking sounds as “defkalion” mentioned earlier, when it is closed and the car is in motion Thumbs Up .

When the moonroof is open there is absolutely the minimum of wind noise, depending on the speed you drive of cause Thumbs Up . I do not have roof rails fitted as these will increase wind noise considerably. The wind that can be heard at higher speeds is far less any of the previous 5 cars with sunroofs I have owned Thumbs Up . My experience with wind noise is quite good as I mostly drive with the roof open, except during heavy rain and the Norwegian winter (when it is mostly frozen closed) Shocked .

The FL2 design is rather unique as the glass roof opens outside the roof where on previous cars I have owned it opened inside the car Surprised . In addition LR have added a high netting wind deflector arrangement at the front of the opening to deflect wind and noise from entering the coupe when driving with it open Surprised . Although it looks a bit ugly it certainly does the job much better than my last drive (BMW) that had a small metal spoiler Thumbs Up .

The only down side of the FL2 moonroof that I have found so far is that the netting wind deflector tends to catch insects (mainly flies) during warmer days and needs special attention when cleaning the car Neutral . This has not been a big problem so far, but I am a little sceptical as to how durable the netting alternative is to a metal deflector - time will tell Question .

Another plus for the moonroof is that the coupe is always light and airy Thumbs Up . On hot days when the sun deflectors are closed over the glass roof, they seems to do a reasonable job, although I have not experienced real summer temperatures as yet Whistle .

Hope this helps Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #23304 1st Jul 2008 7:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1