Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2.2 td4 low fuel pressure problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

A lot of people have changed the cams with these new ones and not had such problems.

230 is more than enough for cranking. But the fuel pressure can't be right as zero...

Does the engine trying to start and can't or it wont give you any sign that it tries to start?
In this stage, in order to be sure the fuel is reaching the engine and the engine is not starved of fuel, I would take fuel and return it into a transparent pot, suspended somewhere over the engine bay.

Post #304928 20th Aug 2016 7:21 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

I did feed the return to a pot and it filled slowly but there was a constant flow. there is plenty of fuel when the injector unions are opened, i know this shouldnt be done on a common rail but i wanted to be sure.
It doesn't even make an attempt to start.
It's the fact that the cam sensor fault and the 0642 fault are there as well as no pressure at the fuel sensor. Can these be linked? Is there something in place that triggers both the cam and fuel to shut down like the crash input fault in the BCU which is also permenant.
I think I will try a leak off test to eliminate injectors but even with four faulty injectors the rail would build some pressure so I could be waisting my time.
A new cam sensor is worth a go too but it would be Monday before I could get one. I did try spacing it in increments of .5mm and there is voltage in the wire so a new sensor is the next step.
Can I eliminate the reluctor ring on the crank as I am getting an rpm or would this come up as a crank fault and not a cam due to sycronisation?
Thanks again Alex, you are a great help.

Post #304929 20th Aug 2016 7:49 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

I just saw your previous post. How do I merge the two posts? could a member of admin do it for me?

Post #304930 20th Aug 2016 8:06 pm
alex_pescaru

Reported to admin team...

The crank should be OK if a RPM is read. The CKP has its own errors.

On the return lines there is a common valve that supposes to hold about 10 bars before it in order for the injectors hydraulic chamber to function. It works/holds OK?

I've seen cars with that crash input error present and they start and work OK. So, I don't believe that its the case.

Indeed fuel rail pressure, CKP and CMP sensors are all powered up by 5V generated by the ECU, but you said that you have 5V on those.
But their signal is not so easy measured by a multimeter, as it's a digital signal. A scope will be much more fit for the job.
And I don't think that one sensor signal could be influenced by another...

Did you checked all the ECU related fuses on the engine bay?

Post #304931 20th Aug 2016 8:31 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Where is the valve on the return? Is it the regulator on the rail and how do I test it?
All fuses are ok, they were individually pulled and checked as well as tested in place for continuity just to be sure.
I don't have a oscilloscope but my father has one, I have a few connectors made up that I use to check sensors with the multimeter on milivolt setting. I know it's not accurate but it does give a signal. In saying that this method let me down before on a ford that showed a crank signal, eventually it turned out to be the wrong flywheel.
The cam sensor was removed but I am always very careful with them, the fact that it and the fuel pressure sensor are now acting up is a bit of a coincidence which leads me to wiring, as I said there is 5volts at the three crucial sensors but this doesn't mean there is a strong earth. Do you think a new earth strap from chassis to engine is worth trying?

Post #304932 20th Aug 2016 8:46 pm
alex_pescaru

If it cranks, it means that you have earth on the engine.
The valve is the silver thing at the end of the common pipe in the picture below.
It's just a plain calibrated spring with a ball on its end.

Post #304933 20th Aug 2016 9:16 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Ok thanks. i thought that after i posted and thought of a T piece with a pressure gauge. Would that work and should it hold at 10 bar?
Do you think it's strange that live data shows zero fuel pressure? Everything else shows up on the software I've used. I tried Nanocom and Brainbee as well as a foxwell scanner. Even if the valve was faulty or an injector was bad or even if the regulator was shot there would be some pressure shown? This plug is on the injector loom along with the injectors and a few other things and it along with the cam sensor/fuel pressure sensor loom were the only two removed while carrying out the cam shaft change.
I'm out at it at the moment removing the timing covers again checking the timing. I've done this already and fitted the timing tools with ease but I have to be sure. Sure what else would I be doing on a Saturday night.

Post #304934 20th Aug 2016 9:31 pm
alex_pescaru

I also went outside and had a look at my car.
On ignition ON, the rail pressure and RPM are shown as 0.
As soon as I hit the start button, from what I saw - because the car starts quickly - the RPM on cranking is about 250 RPM and the pressure rises quickly at about 80-100 bars.
After start, the RPM settles at about 800 and the pressure, at that RPM, at about 250 bars.
So the pressure sensor is giving out information alright...

Post #304935 20th Aug 2016 10:09 pm
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Fair play Alex.
It brings me back to the two other faults. Lets just say(or imagine) we know the cam and fuel sensors are ok as they were before. the other two faults remain, the P0642 even with a fully charged battery and the B10A2 in the BCU after clearing.
Is it possible that these two faults require dealer level software to reset, being such serious faults, the 0642 refers to either a blown ECU or related wiring and the BCU fault indicates an impact.
Do you think the vehicle registered an impact? The customer was cruising at about 130kmph when the cam shaft failed. Could the sudden stop have registered something in the BCU that shuts down these two sensors? I know it's a long shot but I work on all types of cars and jeeps on a daily basis and when it comes to electrics and communications between modules nothing would surprise me, I recently saw a VW that hadn't been started in two days go up in flames because one module failed, other modules trying to communicate.
Thanks Alex, we might figure this out between us, although it will probably be something simple in the end. I just realised where Constanta is. You must be two hours ahead of me.

Post #304937 20th Aug 2016 10:46 pm
alex_pescaru

I believe that crash input error was an error logged somewhere before the cam problem, during car's life. Ask the owner.
Generally, it's logged when the car's sensing a shock greater than a certain trigger level and isn't necessarily to deploy the airbags.
I've seen a car with that error logged after a shock suffered by hitting a pole in a parking lot, during parking maneuvers. Indeed, a quite serious hit, but no airbags deployed or stopping of the car's functioning.
And yes, for that error is necessarily dealer level (or similar) software to reset. But it will not interfere, as I've said before, with the normal functioning and/or starting of the car. The car I was talking about, was working just fine.

As for the other error, if it's permanent, then indeed, it suggests that something it's happening with the 5V reference voltage inside or outside the ECU. And no, this one doesn't need dealer level software to delete.

And by the way, those errors like P0193, could be logged when the sensor is disconnected.
For example, if you disconnect the mass air flow (MAF) sensor, one of the errors is P0113 - Intake air temperature circuit high input.
That "high input" again, because the ECU's electronic input pin has an internal pull-up resistor and if the sensor is not there, to drive the input low, then the ECU is permanently sense the input as high because of the pull-up resistor. And therefore, maybe the pressure is logged permanently as 0...

Yep, two hours ahead... Very Happy

Post #304940 21st Aug 2016 7:27 am
Pedrodog

Ireland 

Hi all. I'm back with the same problem again. Another broken cam shaft, the upgraded one this time after 6k kilometres.
Does anybody know of an upgraded high pressure pump? Is there anything else that could cause the problem apart from the fuel pump?
Thanks

Post #311198 16th Nov 2016 5:48 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

how did you cure the last one u posted about in august,or have I missed some thing? Question

Post #311417 18th Nov 2016 9:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12