Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Beyond economic repair?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Beyond economic repair?

I've mentioned the saga of the daughters car in another thread. It's a 2005 Corsa 1.2 Twinport with 77k on it. Basically the thermostat went, the AA were called out and did a temporary fix to the thermostat (cut the seal) and said it should be replaced along with the water pump. She then decided to drive it around and the car broke down on the motorway and she had to be towed home.

Last night the pump and the thermostat were replaced but when the car was started there was a burning smell and a lot of white smoke/vapour coming from the exhaust. This increased significantly under load. infact I was considering hiring it out to the Vatican.

Anyway what do people think. Something simple and cheap to repair or what I fear - an expensive engine rebuild.

Any thoughts good or bad gratefully received as always.

She's only had the car 6 months!!! After trashing her first car!!!

Post #302629 13th Jul 2016 6:34 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Have a look under the oil filler cap. If the oil colour is a light creamy sludgy colour that is a sign of water in the oil. Typical cause is a blown head gasket, so water and coolant is going where it shouldn't. That could explain the white smoke and smell as coolant is burned . Is the temperature gauge riising as well ? less coolant = running hotter, the expansion bottle level would drop to support the above assumptions. Head gasket is the easy option, other causes could be cracked block.

The gasket can be fixed easily. A crack can not. Head gasket failure is very common. Costs ? Don't know, on a car that's only worth hundreds of pounds a main dealer job would be silly money . At £50 an hour from a local one man band sort of place £200-£300 ?

Surely the mechanic who replaced the pump and thermostat had a opinion on the cause ? 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #302630 13th Jul 2016 7:09 am
heyho

I looked at the oil before the pump was replaced and it looked ok. Will check again.

The coolant level goes very low under pressure but then goes back up to the 'cool' level. Saying that it has only be run for 15 minutes. The temperature gauge rises to the middle position. the mechanic also put a thermometer probe on the engine and was happy that it had stabilised at 89 degrees.

He said what you said - could be either a head gasket or a crack.

Anyone tried k-seal by the way?

Post #302633 13th Jul 2016 7:48 am
Ginna104

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Lago Grey

The head gasket will have Cooked,there very common on this engine. it only mixes oil and water if the water and oil jacket seals have gone, the water jacket into a bore could have gone causing it to use water (white smoke) and if it pressurising that's another sign, as exhaust fumes are entering the coolant system. If your very lucky it won't have warped the head beyond re-skimming as it usually does, there a bit like rocking horse muck to find a good used engine as they have all been uses ! Also It's not a straight forward headgasket job to do you need timing tools for the chain and the sump needs to come off to remove the oil Strainer bolts to remove the rear timing cover. You'll be looking in the region of 350-550 for it doing inc head pressure test and skim and new timing chain kit,

Post #302634 13th Jul 2016 8:28 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

heyho wrote:

The coolant level goes very low under pressure but then goes back up to the 'cool' level. Saying that it has only be run for 15 minutes.

This might not be relevant but I replaced the water pump and cambelt in my wife's Peugeot 207 recently and I had to go through a sequence of bleeding the cooling system using the bleed valve then allowing the engine to come up to temperature at which point the water level in the expansion tank came up and started to overflow (with me rapidly emptying it with the wife's turkey baster) then seeing it suddenly go down again (pour coolant back in). This went on until the engine heated up and the fan started. What I am trying to say is that I followed a defined process to ensure that the coolant was in there properly, was this done in your case? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #302638 13th Jul 2016 9:13 am
heyho

Cheers for everyones advice. There isn't a bleed valve on the 1.2 engine, just the drain plug at the bottom of the water pump housing. Corsa forums say fill up, run, check and fill up until the required level is reached.

At approaching £500 I am not prepared to invest that in the car. I've forked out enough for the bloody daughter on cars over the past two years. Enoughs enough. A bus pass seems the best solution to me Laughing

I will however spend a tenner on some K-seal Ultimate and hope for the best!!! Yes I know it's far from ideal. But it is last chance saloon

Post #302640 13th Jul 2016 10:07 am
Navigator

Scotland 
Re: Beyond economic repair?

heyho wrote:
She then decided to drive it around and the car broke down on the motorway

As this is the second one, is she learning anything yet?

Once an engine has gone over temperature it will always be either costly or very costly in the end. Yet it is so tempting to think it will be OK to keep going gently. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #302641 13th Jul 2016 10:32 am
heyho

Learning anything. Hmmmm.

I might sound a miserable old fart but don't you think things have changed since we were all kids. My first car, a Capri, was a sizeable chunk of my savings and disposable income. I treasured that car.

nowadays what with mobile phones, other electronic stuff etc there seems to be so much more disposable income available for the younger lot to chuck at and say 'oh well if its knackered I can get another one'.

Post #302643 13th Jul 2016 12:18 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Heyho. I think you're the one that needs to learn - keep giving your kids cars and they won't look after them - why should they? They break, Dad pays. Been there, done that! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #302790 15th Jul 2016 10:03 pm
dorsetfreelander

Saw a young girl with her Dad in a filling station yesterday, green "P" on the back so obviously a new driver. Dad shows her how to fill the car with petrol, she follows his instructions then gets back in the car. Dad goes in and pays. #beentheredonethat 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #302801 16th Jul 2016 9:38 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

heyho wrote:

I might sound a miserable old fart but don't you think things have changed since we were all kids. My first car, a Capri, was a sizeable chunk of my savings and disposable income. I treasured that car.

nowadays what with mobile phones, other electronic stuff etc there seems to be so much more disposable income available for the younger lot to chuck at and say 'oh well if its knackered I can get another one'.

The big difference is of course when I was a kid Rolling with laughter , you could drop the gearbox of an HB Viva in the street and whip the head off there too. Your Dad, Uncle et al had all got a basic idea, they had brought you up on valve lapping ! All you needed was a set of feeler gauges and a toolkit. No fault codes, no digital anything. just you , your set of King Dick, a 2lb ball pein and a well thumbed Haynes Very Happy . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #302808 16th Jul 2016 10:59 am
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

heyho wrote:

Oh yes I remember the time we paid out near £2000 for a second hand saxo and near &1500 for one year insurance for the 18 year old daughter. Next year the insurance was a bit less but then she left home with the car on the drive for over 2 years. I bought a breathable car cover for her car, but eventually called the garage to help sell, realising she wouldn't be able to have it in London, it was sold by the garage and he gave her £600 but increased to £650 since my daughter and his son were school mate.

Post #302829 16th Jul 2016 4:17 pm
heyho

Tried a last resort of adding Steel Seal. At first I thought it had done it - no more white smoke from the exhaust but after only 7 miles the header tank was empty. Took it to a garage and got the usual c£500 quote for replacing/skimming the head gasket.

So it's stuck on the road outside our house. She will now learn the hard way - using her legs and public transport - as I am not putting another penny to it. She's on about getting a 2 year old basic Ka on finance for £90 a month. That's up to her!!!

Post #303743 3rd Aug 2016 7:37 am
dorsetfreelander

Welcome to modern parenthood. I have three in their early 30's. They are all financially self sufficient but at the least sign of a problem about anything I get a call. One has her own house, the two boys work away but still have their own rooms at home and come home regularly at weekends. One even keeps his Porsche here taking up half the garage. I left home at 18, now you are lucky if you can be rid of them in their 40's! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #303751 3rd Aug 2016 9:28 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

bought my son his first car, an old corsa 1.2 as a learner car. It sat on the drive for 8 months through winter 2010 covered in snow. He then sold it for what I paid for it and bought himself an 2002 Astra, a 2013 Insignia and now a 2010 Audi A5 convertible. Hes self sufficient in cars but has bounced in/out of home now 3 times. Ive told him im applying the 3 strikes and out ruling !! Laughing
My daughter on the other hand, bought her first car herself, upgraded to a brand new Vx Adam, and now got a 1 year old Fiesta Zetec S. She didn't want any help at all from me for transport Very Happy, She moved out to live with her boyfriend and has just moved back into mine..... with said boyfriend in tow........ so she is on strike 1 ! Laughing

its massively hard for kids these days to get on the housing market, but its scarily easy for them to get finance to buy depreciating cars Rolling Eyes

Post #303759 3rd Aug 2016 10:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>