Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Help with central locking or key issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ThursdayNext

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Help with central locking or key issue?

HI

Can anyone help with central locking or key issue? I have a 57 plate Freelander 2.

Every so often when I open my car I will find the backdoors still locked and I need to double press the key fob; and sometimes the boot is locked and it will open only if I press the tailgate button. Then suddenly it will right itself a week or two later. I have tried the universal reset (unlock and lock button together for 3 seconds) and sometimes this fixes it and sometimes not (normally it fixes the door options, but not always the boot).

Not really a big issue but puzzling, unless there are different ways of setting the key fob that I am unaware of ?

However, we have recently bought a puppy and she travels in the boot. Yesterday, when I was in the car waiting for my son to come out of a piano lesson, the ignition was off but my key was still in the ignition holder and suddenly I heard my boot open (puppy not in the car at the time). I thought it was strange but perhaps i had inadvertently pressed something. So, I went out and shut the boot and put keys back in the ignition again with the car still off. But, exactly the same happened again about 5 minutes later.

Now I am totally paranoid that the boot will open whilst I am driving and with pup in the boot. I appreciate that the above happened whilst car was off, but I am not sure what I need to do check the car.

Have I managed to put the locks in a setting that I don't know about? Or, is there a way to clean or check the sensors. Has anyone heard of this happened?

I want to avoid going into Land rover if at all possible as I suspect it will be a fortune just to look at it.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you

Thursday Smile

Post #301217 23rd Jun 2016 2:42 pm
Delmar71

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I had the sympton of boot intermittently not unlocking except with tailgate button on fob recently. I had the tailgate switch replaced and haven't had the problem since.

Apparently the switch can corrode and give the symptoms you've experienced.

I paid approx £70 for part+fitting at Team Valley Landrover but I think they're generally more competitive than most dealers.

Mark

Post #301219 23rd Jun 2016 2:50 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Yep, it's likely to be the tailgate switch. I've had the same, and with the dog in the back - but fortunately only on my driveway. If you fancy replacing it yourself there are threads on here - one with a detailed guide with pictures. Dan at Duckworths (forum sponsor) will sell you the switch assembly for around £30.

See the first post in this thread for replacement instructions: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic6143.html

Post #301222 23rd Jun 2016 3:09 pm
ThursdayNext

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thank you both Smile that is really helpful. I will mention the tailgate switch to my garage - I'm keeping my fingers crossed as that sounds relatively simple Smile

Thursday

Post #301266 23rd Jun 2016 10:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1