« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Yet another "judder" question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
crockett

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green
Yet another "judder" question

My '57 SE manual (65k miles and immaculate) is, and has been, a superb vehicle and I continue to thoroughly enjoy the drive - so much so that, unusually, I have kept it for the past 5 years rather than renewing it, and hope to continue so to do. However, I'm currently increasingly concerned regarding a development and hope someone here can shed some light on it in case it's a prelude to something major happening?
It initially started when ascending inclines - seemed like a sudden, momentary power loss, but for an instant only, but it has moved on and no longer seems tied specifically to inclines. Having read all of the posts on the forum which include something similar, none seem to have quite the same symptoms. So, any ideas?

I don't travel big distances, but on longer runs, when everything's running along smoothly at approx 2000-25000 revs 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, a sudden almost cut-out moment (a "jolt") occurs. No warning, no dash lights, and, after slightly less than a second, a return to smooth normality. It started a few months ago, no more than x2 in a month, but yesterday, doing 70mph on a return journey it performed half a dozen times in about half a mile (considered pulling over but let it run and , presto, back to a normal drive). It's booked in for an annual service and investigation at the end of the month (and I still shell out £795 per year for LR Extended Warranty) so being aware in advance of possible causes would be useful.

Post #300934 18th Jun 2016 10:30 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I had a similar problem in a petrol Peugeot 206. It would happen at all speeds including tickover. At tickover I could see the rev counter drop to almost zero and then as the system responded by "blipping" the throttle so the revs would go up momentarily to about 2k before settling back to it's usual 900ish. It turned out to be a coolant sensor had failed and was discovered by a standard diagnostic check.

J

Post #300936 18th Jun 2016 10:38 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

the symptoms you describe are the same as you will get with a tiny hole in the throttle body hose,and as it gets worse a whooshing sound through the split,and then as it gets worse still, engine management light with fault code saying boost pressure or something like that,then black smoke ,of course it could be one of the other turbo hoses but that one seems to go first about that mileage.

Post #301032 20th Jun 2016 12:55 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It could be a transmission issue, Haldex or odd tyres. See "Vibration "surges" at speed. Haldex?" Which occurred with mine. All sorted with a software update.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #301039 20th Jun 2016 8:19 am
crockett

Thanks folks, am compiling a "list" for the forthcoming garage visit as, undoubtedly, when I take the Service Manager for a test run, it will perform perfectly.

Post #301044 20th Jun 2016 9:23 am
helstoon

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had this problem with my 2007 model, it was the crankshaft position sensor, problem solved with lttle cost

Post #301843 3rd Jul 2016 8:33 pm
crockett

helstoon - thanks.

Interesting. Took it for the 'B' service + MoT last week and requested an investigation into the "judder".
When discussing I mentioned in detail the excellent links on the forum regarding what seemed identical issues. Now, I have very high regard for my local LR garage who have been consistently excellent since selling me the car back in 2011: problems, when they arose, have been attended to and they have yet to let me down. So I was a bit surprised that the crank sensor - when discussed - was dismissed as a likely possible cause. They have reset the end steps on the intake throttle and egr valve, checked the software, retested and now left it with me to see if there has been an improvement / rectification. (Needless to say, in road test, the "judder" didn't perform). So I will see. The situation is left "open" and, if the fault still exists, it will go back for further investigation. I have to say. no judder so far, running as sweet as can be, but maybe that's just post-service performance.

Post #301873 4th Jul 2016 9:49 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I had the same as Helstoon on my 2007 SE. I just removed the sensor and cleaned it and never had the problem again.

Post #301874 4th Jul 2016 10:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1