« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Ride Comfort
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Ride Comfort

Is there anyone on this site who is using the optional 19" wheels on their FL2? They look great, but I've heard the drop in tyre profile compromises the ride comfort, particularly in the rear? This makes sense and certainly affected ride comfort on my old car. Any exeriences / observations?
cheers
Phil Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #28660 7th Oct 2008 7:53 pm
chris8of9

Isle Of Man 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

My last car (BMW 320D M Sport) came with 18” wheels. They may look great and help with a sharp turn in but they definitely affected the ride quality (unless the road was super smooth). Also they cost me a fortune in tyres.

When I test drove an FL2 it had 19” wheels and although the ride wasn’t too bad, it wasn’t as smooth as I expected and tyres seemed on average £50 more each than the 18”.

When I eventually got my FL2 I went for the 18” and they feel a good compromise between ride quality, looks and turn in.

Hope this helps

Post #28668 7th Oct 2008 9:48 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Yeah thanks for reply. My XS has the standard 17" wheels, which look quite smart and I agree with the tyre prices. The 17's run on 65 profiles and the ride is very good. Be interesting to know if the 19's are really noticeably different when the going gets tough, like on most of Kent's roads these days!! Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #28671 7th Oct 2008 10:00 pm
vectis

United Kingdom 

When I ordered my mark 1 Freelander I ordered it with the 16" wheels which was what I had driven but it came with 17" and I found the ride was noticeable harsher, I have the 17" on the Freelander 2 and like the ride, the roads on the Isle of Wight are in pretty bad order and the 19" wheels seemed alright on the motorway and indeed look nice but I think the 17's have the edge on comfort.

Post #28682 7th Oct 2008 11:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I drive on very rough unfinished roads and find nothing wrong with the 18's I have on mine and find the ride very comfortable even when charging through the city or off road. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #28691 8th Oct 2008 6:07 am
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I didn't notice any differece at all normal driving between my car with 19's on and a courtesy HSE with 18s on. Not sure about 17s or 16s. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #28696 8th Oct 2008 8:00 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Got 18" wheels with summer tyres and 16" with winter tyres - I don’t really notice any difference except that the winter tyres will always be a bit nosier due to the tread pattern and we don’t drive as fast during winter anyway. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #28699 8th Oct 2008 8:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1