Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Long term ownership?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I always say there is nothing wrong with creating a new disruptive "go to market" paradigm shift resulting in gaining market traction by empowering your human resources. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #300268 7th Jun 2016 5:50 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

rjc1944 wrote:
We bought our 08 HSE auto in December 2011, shortly after moving to Cornwall. We've more than doubled its mileage, with 84,000 showing now. Last year was expensive, with a new turbo being fitted when it broke down whilst on holiday with the caravan in Cumbria. Other than that it's had services, brake pads and tyres. My independent garageman reckons it will need new front disks this year - he also says that this particular model is the most reliable car that Land Rover have ever made.

I've looked at a few options to change to but keep coming back to the facts - it's comfy, usually reliable, tows the caravan well, uses fuel at a reasonable rate (30-35 mpg depending on circumstances) and I enjoy driving it. Why swap?

I can see there's a lot of passionate owners on here, me included.
Every time something goes wrong, I say it's time for change. I never quite do it though. After realising I've put a lot into it. Now accepting I like driving it. Myself being the main driver now, wife was for the previous main driver for 4 years.
Last repair recently done, a new clutch kit & dmf. Gearbox now sweet as a nut too, after the box oil change. I usually average 1 or two fairly major repairs per year, since ownership. Outside of serviceable items. Other items I've replaced over the last 30k/4 years of ownership:- Front wheel bearing/hub, battery, rear diff pinion bearing repair, throttle body motor, rear brake caliper. Now on the need to do list, elec window motor (passengers front), could do with a replacement spare fob.
I'll be pleased if I can take her over 100k, currently at 94k.
I'm now averaging 35mpg, up from 32 Thumbs Up Landy has now gone.

Last edited by Boroboy on 9th Jun 2016 10:39 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #300276 7th Jun 2016 8:30 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My average fuel consumption is always going to look bad. Every time the car leaves our house, because we live by the sea, there's a steep hill to climb with a cold engine. My most common drives are to the golf club at Holywell Bay (5 or 7.5 miles depending on route) and to Truro (9 miles). Not far enough to get good consumption. Automatic and aircon don't help either but I deem them both essentials. If you want an economy car then don't buy 2 tons of automatic four-wheel drive! Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #300315 8th Jun 2016 11:05 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

My (second) extended warranty expires in 2 days. Not going to renew it as it was just too much (I know, could be a lot less than a repair) but I just can't justify it.

So a strange new world with my FL2 :-/

Fingers crossed all major issues have been sorted!

But unless financially forced to, I wouldn't change mine. Love it and so useful. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #300331 8th Jun 2016 1:43 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Mine is 8 years old 254k kms on the clock. Had it since new, normal wear and tear, first battery lasted 7 years. Had the diff repaired under warranty at around 80k so 150k ago. New shocks at 160k and the left front cv joint around the same time. I've had 4 sets of tyres. I still like the car, hoping it will last 10 years or 350k kms. I tried a new Pajero Sport the other day, not sure what they call them over there, probably not Pajero because it means Censored in Spanish. Very nice drive, good off road creds. Ugly as a hat full of ar$eholes from the rear but nothing's perfect.

Post #300337 8th Jun 2016 3:13 pm
IDL

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Quote:
I tried a new Pajero Sport the other day, not sure what they call them over there, probably not Pajero because it means Censored in Spanish. Very nice drive, good off road creds. Ugly as a hat full of ar$eholes from the rear but nothing's perfect.

Just had a look at the Pajero Sport. OMG that Censored ugly! Had a couple of 2nd generation SWB Pajeros when we lived on the Gold Coast. They were good cars.

Post #300348 8th Jun 2016 7:39 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

mikehzz wrote:
Ugly as a hat full of ar$eholes

Laughing

Post #300349 8th Jun 2016 8:32 pm
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

I have had my 2008 FL2 GS from new. it has now done 90k miles and is running better than ever and still looks like new. I had trouble with the DMF at 30K miles, problems with the airbag warning light staying on and had to have the sump resealed all of which were covered under warranty. Other than that she has been faultless. I had her Waxoyled at 3 years. It does all I require from a vehicle and when I consider what it would cost to replace I have decided I can do a lot of repairs for that, so my intension is to keep with what I have. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #300566 11th Jun 2016 9:42 pm
dorsetfreelander

We were invited to the birthday of a friend of my wife yesterday. Her husband is into classic cars (he has an old Jaguar and a Series 1 Defender) and there were a number of old vehicles parked outside (old Mercs, Jags, BMW, 2x Singer Vogue etc) . I got talking to a few of the guys and when I pointed out that the Freelander was mine it became apparent that no one was interested in newer Landrovers (or Jaguars) and they couldn't see them ever as classic cars due to the complexity and general poor reputation for reliability. They thought that the real problem would be getting through MOTs when you could no longer get parts like a DPF or some obscure sensor or ECU, although this will be the same for all modern cars 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #300574 12th Jun 2016 10:24 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

No more classic cars! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #300575 12th Jun 2016 11:58 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
We were invited to the birthday of a friend of my wife yesterday. Her husband is into classic cars (he has an old Jaguar and a Series 1 Defender) and there were a number of old vehicles parked outside (old Mercs, Jags, BMW, 2x Singer Vogue etc) . I got talking to a few of the guys and when I pointed out that the Freelander was mine it became apparent that no one was interested in newer Landrovers (or Jaguars) and they couldn't see them ever as classic cars due to the complexity and general poor reputation for reliability. They thought that the real problem would be getting through MOTs when you could no longer get parts like a DPF or some obscure sensor or ECU, although this will be the same for all modern cars

Back in the 50's and 60's the then owners of their current classics would have been told the same thing from the "classic" owners of the day:

"all of that complex double curvature glass and all of those body panels will never be able to be recreated once all of that complex machine tooling has gone! I mean, how are you going to fit a flat sheet of glass to the curved windscreen appature in your new fangled Mk2 Jag? Not like my old Austin 7...."

Post #300576 12th Jun 2016 12:31 pm
dorsetfreelander

I was presented with a similar problem last year, a small company that I do some work for, acquired a 1994 industrial embroidery machine (you feed it a data file and it will embroider a logo or anything on a jacket or shirt or something). The problem was that it had 3.25" floppies as the only input medium. No problem I thought I can get a USB connected external floppy drive. This didn't work and I eventually discovered that the floppies were not 1.44Mb or even 720k varieties but the original 360k and even on a Windows 98 machine it was impossible to write them, even using DOS, unless you had hardware capable of writing at that density. I eventually cracked it by finding a really old PC but it was so old that getting the data files into the computer to write out in 360k format was a nightmare (no USB h/w or drivers, no network port and just a dial up modem connection).

The point I am making is that here was a piece of kit only 22 years old that was proving very difficult because of interfacing issues. Can you imagine that USB or CDs will still be around or finding someone local with available or backwards compatible diagnostic kit in say 30 years? This is much more of an issue than making fibreglass copies of wings body parts.

ps before anyone suggests it, changing the floppy drive in the embroidery machine wasn't an option as it was modified by the manufacturer to work with some weird internal CNC type control system. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #300583 12th Jun 2016 2:59 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Nostalgia is no longer what it used to be then. Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #300589 12th Jun 2016 4:22 pm
dorsetfreelander

I had a relative stay over with us yesterday. He is an Australian farmer from NSW and didn't recognise the FL2 as he had never seen one before and said that he hardly ever saw a LR these days. Conversation went like this:
"So what do you drive?"
"oh I've got a ute it's a Toyota Hilux, done over 350k km"
"any problems with it?"
"Oh yes I decided that the cambelt might need changing so I had that done recently"
"yes but any problems?"
"no nothing apart from the bonnet doesn't shut properly after I hit a Roo" Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #301168 22nd Jun 2016 3:13 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Toyota drivers never admit to anything wrong out here. The D4D Hilux's need new injectors before 100k. He must have a petrol one? The higher price for the brand is called the "Toyota tax".

Post #301198 23rd Jun 2016 9:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>