« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Skoda Yeti-A Reluctant Owners Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Skoda Yeti-A Reluctant Owners Review

I am a huge fan of the Freelander 2-I had three! I don't know if I got lucky but they were all totally reliable. I only had one fault in six years of driving them-the battery backup sounder went on one which cost £75 to fix. My aging Labrador needed driving to his normal walk so I was doing four 1/4 mile journeys a day which really didn't suit the Freelander. It became increasingly difficult to start and felt laboured (presumably choked up with all the short, cold runs) so my search for a temporary replacement began. My criteria were a decent boot and petrol.

My first stop was Audi. I had decided on a Q3/5 until I read the reviews for the petrol engines and and their love of oil. Couple this with total engine failures at relatively low mileages and their small boots, I decided to look elsewhere. I then came across the reviews for the Yeti. I have to concede that I am a badge snob and can remember when skodas' were built like tanks and had the engine in the boot. I reluctantly went to view a Yeti and was pleasantly surprised. The interior is pretty much taken straight out of a golf, the boot a good size and the level of equipment high for the money.

I opted for the Elegance. Mine was an ex showroom car so had heated screen, active bi-xenons and heated seats. The bi-xenons are truly amazing-I don't think I will ever have a car without them now.

I wasn't sure about the "Chav White" colour but I actually think it suits the Yeti.

Good points are the price (I swapped an old FL2 HSE for a 2011 Yeti), ride quality, quiet engine and amazing cornering ability. Not quite BMW standard but pretty good. The 1.4TSI is fairly peppy and relatively frugal (I get 40+mpg on a mixed run). I miss the mid-range torque and overtaking ability of the FL2 though-the TSI does not quite have enough horses under the bonnet or torque. I also miss the comfortable seats and high driving position! You can also see areas of the cabin where costs have been cut with cheap plastics and finish. Nothing rattles but it doesn't feel that durable either. A fair few people on the Yeti owners site describe them as Audi like. Having owned Audi's, the Yeti is definitely not Audi like. For the money though, I can't fault it. If you need a cheap runabout and aren't put off by the badge, give the Yeti a try-you will be pleasantly surprised.

Post #299673 29th May 2016 8:00 pm
Cclr2

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Galway Green

I almost bought one a couple of years ago. It was only the slightly small rear cabin room that stopped me.

Anyome interested should look at Simpsons Skoda. They have some amazing yeti lease deals occasionally. FL2 HSE Lux 2011 SD4 Gallway Green.
Fiesta 2014 Ttanium x 1.0 ecoboost - Fantastic 125 bhp 1.0l 3 cylinder turbo!
1976 Triumph Spitfire. Owned for 25 years Fully restored, magazine features - not quite standard Wink
1985 Toyota MR2 MK1a. The oldest surviving example in the UK and one of only 5 left in 8B8 Blue

Post #299681 29th May 2016 9:24 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Do you find that your Lab can get in the Yeti easier than the Freelander? My back is killing me with mine..

Post #299682 29th May 2016 9:42 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I bought my FL2 to replace my 2010 Skoda Octavia, it was a fantastic car just no good off road! Looking forward to seeing what the SUV they are bringing out will be like, if it takes after the Octavia and what I've seen of the Yeti it should be a good 'un!

Post #299686 29th May 2016 10:25 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

My Lab is nearly 12 now and can't get in unaided. He has severe arthritis and has had a stroke though so he isn't a good benchmark. The boot is slightly raised-not quite as high as the FL2 but certainly higher than a normal car. I actually looked for that as I had a BMW touring which he couldn't get into either. The raised boot means I can keep my back straight when lifting him in. I have total sympathy on the aching back front-my Lab is 35Kg and wriggles.

Post #299701 30th May 2016 8:37 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I looked at a Yeti and thought they looked good.

Post #299705 30th May 2016 9:42 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Labradorslave wrote:
My Lab is nearly 12 now and can't get in unaided. He has severe arthritis and has had a stroke though so he isn't a good benchmark. The boot is slightly raised-not quite as high as the FL2 but certainly higher than a normal car. I actually looked for that as I had a BMW touring which he couldn't get into either. The raised boot means I can keep my back straight when lifting him in. I have total sympathy on the aching back front-my Lab is 35Kg and wriggles.

ive go this for our old arthritic lab

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001RLU772/ref...TE_3p_dp_1

he still needs a slight lift from his harness but he gets and and down it Jules

Post #299714 30th May 2016 11:24 am
le bouch

I had one of those ramps but my poor old Lab wouldn't countenance it. He's normally pretty biddable but despite my best efforts just wouldn't do use it. He's a daft old sod though - if a door is slightly open he won't open it wider himself like most dogs - he just stands there waiting for someone to open it!

Post #299722 30th May 2016 2:30 pm
DeeJayCee

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

So, a critical criteria when choosing a car is the dog's ability to get in and out? Shocked Rolling Eyes 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)
2002 Audi S8 4.2 Quattro - Ming Blue - Definitely His

Post #299737 30th May 2016 9:03 pm
le bouch

Post #299739 30th May 2016 9:21 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

DeeJayCee wrote:
So, a critical criteria when choosing a car is the dog's ability to get in and out? Shocked Rolling Eyes

Absolutely , a dog is for life. You either get it or you don't. My ( now departed ) Labs made it to 12, 14 and 15, and the Springer to 13 . My wife couldn't " load" the old chaps into the Defenders or Freelander on her own. But even at those advanced ages they could get their paws onto the bumper of the various 3 series and A4 wagons I had , and she could give their bums a bit of a lift Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #299741 30th May 2016 9:47 pm
DeeJayCee

I am sorry Le Bouch if you felt that my comment amounts to trolling or stupidity but i was just reflecting on the fact that the original, well considered post on the merits of a car was immediately focused onto the capability of the car not to take you or the family from A -B or off road but on its ability to get a dog into the back. Different folks, different strokes. 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)

Post #299742 30th May 2016 9:52 pm
le bouch

But the dog is family....

Post #299745 30th May 2016 10:12 pm
DeeJayCee

That may be your view but it doesnt entitle you to accuse me of being on online troll or stupid. 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)

Post #299746 30th May 2016 10:30 pm
j77

Scotland 

Anyway back on topic.

Car manufacturers such as Skoda, Hyundai and Kia have come a long way.

The yeti is a nice looking car, won a few awards I think. The white suits the yetis clean simple lines. Agree with the Xenons the first car I had them on was the Disco Sport, only because it was standard spec on the HSE but when I ordered the Disco I had to have them. I thought spending £800+ on headlights was madness so left it originally but bit the bullet and got them just in time, it was the last day the car was spec amendable. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #299750 30th May 2016 11:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>