« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remapping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sickflow

Wales 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Remapping

First off I'm sure this has been discussed before so apologise in advance if it has.

I'm looking at getting my FL2 2010 auto remapped for performance and fuel efficiency. I'll obviously go with a reputable company, I've been told that my ECU would need to be removed in order to remap it. Basically what I'm after is any advice on if it's something to stay well clear of or if, done correctly, there shouldn't be any problems. Any advice in general would be much appreciated as this is out of my expertise! Thanks all!

Post #299356 24th May 2016 8:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Ive had several vehicles remapped in the past (inc Skodas Ocatvia VRS, TD5 Disco, and BMW 330D) all highly successful and reliable.

I tried a couple of cheap "tuning boxes " in prior to getting into remapping and in comparison they are rubbish - steer clear IMO

Dont kid yourself you'll save fuel - you wont be able to stop using the extra power and that costs fuel. However a good remap will improve the engine no end.

Word of caution - with my Disco TD5 auto the extra torque cause the gearbox to change down too early instead of staying in a higher gear and using the extra torque -IMO that remap worked better for a manual box. The BMW auto however was just awesome with nearly 300BHP and 620Nm and it could still get 38mpg on a run.

So shop around. Jules

Post #299368 24th May 2016 10:44 pm
devondave

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Are you sure about removing the ECU?

Post #299382 25th May 2016 9:23 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I had my 2014 Insignia 2.0 CDTI remapped from 160bhp/285 lb ft to 210bhp/320 lb ft. The in gear acceleration was amazing and the fuel economy went up from 52mpg to 65mpg. The ECU had to be removed to remap it as it required some jumpers across a couple of connections on the main circuit board.
My sons 2013 Insignia was done by the same guy but could be done via the OBD port.

Apparently manufacturers are locking the ECU's down so that they can only be remapped by a dealer, or by someone who knows how to fool the ECU which is only achieved by removing it, breaking into the casing and jumpering the connections.

I have no idea if any of the FL2 across the years can be remapped via OBD port or not.

Post #299384 25th May 2016 10:01 am
Sickflow

Wales 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks for your replies.

I'm looking at going with a company called quantum tuning who do a load of remapping and have a good rep. I'm basically just worried about causing possible issues/damage to my car if I have it done. Also, anyone have any idea on rough costs for a stage 1 remap? I live in Wales, Cardiff.

Post #299386 25th May 2016 11:39 am
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Personally, I wouldn't mess about with taking it in to be remapped.

Just go online, buy yourself a Bluefin system for £400.

Plug it into the ODB port, push a couple of buttons, 15/20mins later it's job done.

Post #299389 25th May 2016 1:05 pm
SteveC

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I'd go with the Bluefin too - in fact I did.

£359 at the moment.

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=17&...riant=1835 Steve

2008 TD4 HSE Auto, Zermatt Silver

Post #299395 25th May 2016 2:04 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I opted for an Alive remap. Was cheaper too Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #299422 25th May 2016 7:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

RogB wrote:
I had my 2014 Insignia 2.0 CDTI remapped from 160bhp/285 lb ft to 210bhp/320 lb ft. The in gear acceleration was amazing and the fuel economy went up from 52mpg to 65mpg. The ECU had to be removed to remap it as it required some jumpers across a couple of connections on the main circuit board.
My sons 2013 Insignia was done by the same guy but could be done via the OBD port.

Apparently manufacturers are locking the ECU's down so that they can only be remapped by a dealer, or by someone who knows how to fool the ECU which is only achieved by removing it, breaking into the casing and jumpering the connections.

I have no idea if any of the FL2 across the years can be remapped via OBD port or not.

Thats what Simon at E-Maps had to do with my BMW ECU. But he also heated it up in an oven until a certain temp was reached as judged by IR thermometer. This softened the security glue to allow to 2 halves of the ECU case to be prized apart without breaking them. The ECU circuit board was placed on a jig and using a magnifying headlamp pin contacts were placed on certain parts of the ECU circuit board to affect the remap via a laptop. My program was uploaded to Germany and the appropriate remap then downloaded.

All for a few hundred quid. Jules

Post #299427 25th May 2016 8:56 pm
jules

SteveC wrote:

£359 at the moment.

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=17&...riant=1835

Blue fin wont work on many newer ECUs - dont know about the later FL2s but manufacturers have worked to prevent remapping via the OBD socket. Jules

Post #299429 25th May 2016 8:59 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Remapping sounds like the sort of thing that will eventually be made illegal since you will have an effect on the vehicle emissions (yes, just like VW) .
It's similar to the recent announcement that the act of "clocking" a car will soon be illegal even if you don't sell it (which is the current offence). 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #299431 25th May 2016 9:17 pm
daveh

United Kingdom 

had mine done with that company over 12 months ago. superb worth every penny better mpg torque for towing and no problems . its an auto too. all done without removing the ecu.

Post #299432 25th May 2016 9:20 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
SteveC wrote:

£359 at the moment.

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/search?make=17&...riant=1835

Blue fin wont work on many newer ECUs - dont know about the later FL2s but manufacturers have worked to prevent remapping via the OBD socket.

Bluefin works perfectly well on all Freelander 2's without removing the ECU. Its all done via the OBD port. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #300056 4th Jun 2016 6:37 pm
Mav71

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Remapping sounds like the sort of thing that will eventually be made illegal since you will have an effect on the vehicle emissions (yes, just like VW) .
It's similar to the recent announcement that the act of "clocking" a car will soon be illegal even if you don't sell it (which is the current offence).

Car engines during durability testing are ran at higher power outputs to what actually hits the market, to ensure that the cars do not lose power for different climates, cheap fuel, crap servicing ect. The emissions targets are also included in this durability phase. The engine software is then de-tuned for the specific application it is destined for.

Re-mapping with a reputable tuner who actually write software for the cars will not have any effect on emissions what so ever, as the maps are re-written to maintain safety and emissions.

My old Freelander didn't record any different emissions with or without the re-map in place.

Also, with regards to the VW emissions, these cars failed on NOX emissions and not C02 emissions which is what we are based on.

In France it is illegal to modify your car mechanically in anyway, but many people in France are now re-mapping with the likes of Bluefin and during their equivalent of the MOT (control technique) they are not finding any evidence of re-mapping through emissions.

It will never be made illegal here as it would kill a multi £billion industry. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #300057 4th Jun 2016 6:48 pm
Mav71

Re: Remapping

Sickflow wrote:
First off I'm sure this has been discussed before so apologise in advance if it has.

I'm looking at getting my FL2 2010 auto remapped for performance and fuel efficiency. I'll obviously go with a reputable company, I've been told that my ECU would need to be removed in order to remap it. Basically what I'm after is any advice on if it's something to stay well clear of or if, done correctly, there shouldn't be any problems. Any advice in general would be much appreciated as this is out of my expertise! Thanks all!

No issues what so ever if you use a reputable company. Superchips Bluefin is the most popular and I have used it many times. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #300058 4th Jun 2016 6:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>