Home > General > Materials quaility in the FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gorjant

Macedonia 
Materials quaility in the FL2

Hi,

I have seen the FL2 for the first time in real life - generally I like it a lot, but I have some complaints about the materials used (some plastics).

While reading about the FL2 and seeing pictures on the Net I "fall in love" with it, this issues brought me to earth a little.

For example the door handles, the fact that they are black doesn't metter to me very much, but they feel so cheap - there is even edge in teh plastic handle where the mold was connected.

Plastic on the top of the dashboard (on top of the centre console above the navigation or the "black" hole if you don't have navigation) - the plastic is like from a cheap chinesse toy.

The handles from the inside of the door (where you grab to close the door) also seem cheap...also the handles above the windows...

The sun visors seem not very "high quality"...

Also some plastics on the lower part between the front seats if you touch the plastics in the lower part they are "bad". But since this is not a part that you usually touch it doesn't metter so much...

The same dealer that sells LR here sells BMW, so there was a BMW X3 next to the FL2 and I compared them in terms of build quality..and the X3 feels that is made from better materials nad much better (in the parts what I compared). Still I wouldn't buy the X3 because of it's poor suspension. The price of the two here is similar.

Also I think the FL2 isn't very spacious inside the cabin and the bot is shallow.

I currently have the latest Mercedes A-Class and I also have similar complaints here, but this car is 17000 EUR and the FReelander 2 is 40000..of course the FL2 is bigger have much stronger engine, not to mention the off-roading tech all that is cistly...but hey this iis not Kia. Land Rover is claimed to be premium class. About the space..my Merc is 3.84 m long and the FL2 is 4.5 and I cannot feel that spac difference inside so much.

This doesn't mean that I just critiize the FL2 - overall I like it - it's driving technology, refinment, good looks, driving postion all that is very nice - and I will probably end buying one, and forget about the plastics.. Smile

Post #1892 9th Mar 2007 11:51 am
qzx372

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

There you go, you've answered your own question in the last paragraph. The Freelander has a certain something that the others don't .. a pedigree marketed around the Land Rover name. I'm not being negative ..I'm now on my third one (with a small break for a Nissan Xtrail). With the exception of the first of the first LR1 (1.8 petrol) each has been very good (so far so good with the FL2). Btw, the second was an FL1 TD4

Post #1900 9th Mar 2007 2:16 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I test driven a Freelander 2 yesterday at my dealer in Greece (LR North - Attica). I only have one comment: 'If this is not premium class then what is?'. It felt like the perfect car on road, perfect suspension, steering wheel is a bit light but you get used to it in the first minute, driver seat is just perfect, gear change is perfect. Found no faults, indeed! it was the diesel version. The plastics looked ok to me, too. I would just reccomend it to anyone thinking of buying one. I LOVED IT! Cant wait to get mine in end of March.

Post #1931 11th Mar 2007 7:23 am
gorjant

Macedonia 

I did not have a chance to test drive it, is there lot of road/tire/wind noise? (especially on higher speeds like 140-150 km/h)? I am afraid of this as this is taller vehicle and it has all-weather/terrain tires?

Also, can you tell me, do you get Sat navigation, leather and Alpine sorround sound system in the HSE version in Greece? In our country these items are not in the HSE version asthey are on the UK one.

Post #1940 12th Mar 2007 8:39 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

The only wind noice I noticed came from the (closed) sunroof. Apparently this seems to be "normal" so I ordered the car without sunroof.

Post #1945 12th Mar 2007 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I did not notice any noises inside whatsoever! I had test driver a TOYOTA Land Cruiser 2 months ago and I must tell you: FREELANDER 2 is just so much better! it drives like a premium saloon, but has the feel of an off-road. And the driver's seat: you see the whole bonnet! it's great!
I have ordered mine with sunroof, and really hope that it won't be noisy!
btw when I test drove the car it was windy: 24knots.

I do not want to repeat myself but LR2 WAS JUST PERFECT!

Post #1947 12th Mar 2007 11:42 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

It's nice to hear your enthousiasm defkalion. After all, the wind noice was not that serious but I it was noticeable. I didn't order the sunroof as I find it an expensive option that one probably enjoy most if sitting in the back (which I don't plan to do !). Apart from that, the test ride convinced me as well. The same day, before testing the FL2, I tested a Volvo V70 AWD D5 and I was disappointed by the hard engine noice when accelerating and the "old fashioned" hard steering wheel. (and then I didn't say anything yet about its unwieldy roadholding and general concept). Next, the FL2 felt so much better - amazing for a real off road car - and the finishing material quality of the FL 2 seemed me to be on the same high level.

Post #1949 12th Mar 2007 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1