Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Oil service required visit dealer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

Did you reset it ever after an oil change?

Post #297423 27th Apr 2016 7:55 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Muckboots wrote:
Yorky Bob wrote:
The second refers to the oil degradation counter based on the DPF regeneration process. This one can be done only with the help of a dealer or dealer like compatible reset tool.

So my previous comment is relevant then Question

I don't think that the "oil service visit dealer" message is linked to oil degradation, because the massage pops up to the day every year regardless of mileage.

You got the most expensive extra most of us can't avoid then Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #297424 27th Apr 2016 8:31 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Oooooops Rolling with laughter

Post #297433 27th Apr 2016 9:28 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

alex_pescaru wrote:
Did you reset it ever after an oil change?

Yes it's got full LR dealer service history

Post #297435 27th Apr 2016 9:30 am
alex_pescaru

So it appears a short while after servicing??
Do you have the means to check if the reset has been properly done?
It wont be an isolated case when they only reset the SIA (service interval announcements)....

Post #297450 27th Apr 2016 11:49 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I had this message appear a few days after servicing at my local main stealer. I did my usual visual check around after the service and all seemed well other than the oil level was between 1 and 2 centimetres above the maximum mark on the dipstick. Full sump and oil filter capacity is 5.9 litres, so logically 6 litres would be put in and this may read a couple of millimetres above full on the dipstick, which is fine, but 2 centimetres is too much and could cause problems. The question is; was the old oil fully drained - I doubt it, or was the filter not changed - I can find no reason to suspect it wasn't, so insufficient draining is most likely the cause.

I took the car back to the dealer and they removed some oil and reset the message. They must have removed about 1 litre as the level was between the max and min level on the dipstick. I put in half a litre to bring the level up to the maximum.

I could have reset the message myself, thanks to Alex, but as the car does not use any oil, I have never had to top up in 35k miles, I could not have left it to burn off.

At the end of the day this is down to sloppy or hurried work by the main dealer in not allowing enough time for the old oil to drain out completely.

J

Post #392284 9th Jun 2020 9:08 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I believe you can clear the "oil service visit dealer" message using the "Brazilian" method.

1. Turn on the ignition switch 
2. Open the bonnet
3. Open the driver door 
4. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, and brake pedal, and hold for 60s. 
5. Turn off the ignition switch 
6. Turn on the ignition switch and check whether maintenance information is cleared 
7. If maintenance information is not cleared, repeat the procedure. Jules

Post #392292 9th Jun 2020 9:40 pm
jules

Jimboland wrote:
I had this message appear a few days after servicing at my local main stealer. I did my usual visual check around after the service and all seemed well other than the oil level was between 1 and 2 centimetres above the maximum mark on the dipstick. Full sump and oil filter capacity is 5.9 litres, so logically 6 litres would be put in and this may read a couple of millimetres above full on the dipstick, which is fine, but 2 centimetres is too much and could cause problems. The question is; was the old oil fully drained - I doubt it, or was the filter not changed - I can find no reason to suspect it wasn't, so insufficient draining is most likely the cause.

I took the car back to the dealer and they removed some oil and reset the message. They must have removed about 1 litre as the level was between the max and min level on the dipstick. I put in half a litre to bring the level up to the maximum.

I could have reset the message myself, thanks to Alex, but as the car does not use any oil, I have never had to top up in 35k miles, I could not have left it to burn off.

At the end of the day this is down to sloppy or hurried work by the main dealer in not allowing enough time for the old oil to drain out completely.

J

This is why I do all the servicing where I can. My brother-on -law was a car dealer and the things he told me made me very wary of dealerships and garages.

I had Disco 2 and on the way back from the main dealer after an annual warranty service part of the undertray fell off and jammed in the steering. It had not be been secured in place. The Dealership was very matter of fact, unapologetic and clearly not too bothered. Since then I use small independents and do as much as I can myself - I have the space, tools, interest, skilled help and the time. Jules

Post #392294 9th Jun 2020 9:53 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Ideally I would like to do all the servicing myself, I have all the tools and I like to think the knowledge, but after getting on for 50 years of lying under Land Rovers the mind is more willing than the body.

J

Post #392331 10th Jun 2020 10:06 am
virtualrog

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I have 2012 plate and brought a Icarsoft LR11 reader as it allows you to reset oil servce indicator, also has lots of real time data you can view.
luckly it also work on my L322.

Roger Freelander 2
Rangerover L322 4.4 TDV8

Post #392344 10th Jun 2020 1:12 pm
jules

Jimboland wrote:
Ideally I would like to do all the servicing myself, I have all the tools and I like to think the knowledge, but after getting on for 50 years of lying under Land Rovers the mind is more willing than the body.

J

Unfortunately the Hydraulic ramp on the farm next door is out of action for a while - and I really miss it Smile Jules

Post #392363 10th Jun 2020 9:31 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Jimboland wrote:

J

That is why when you see a car that is being advertised (FULL MAIN DEALER SERVICE HISTORY) it looks good in a book but that’s just about it.

Post #392378 11th Jun 2020 9:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12