« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Advice on buying please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jojim65

Advice on buying please

Hi,

I hope this hasn't been done to death and you all groan when you read it...but anyway.

I'm currently in an Audi A4 Avant and really fancy the next car being a 4x4. I was going straight down the road of a Q5 till I saw a Freelander 2 the other day and I have to say it looked quite good.

I've been into Chipperfield (Kings Langley) Opinions on dealer please? and having had a moch round it could be just the thing.

If I were to buy it would be the diesel HSE but not sure about the auto (will it cost much more to run).

To be honest there is only a couple of things stopping me buying at the moment, so I figured this was the best place to ask. Reliability, has Land Rover cracked this now? Coming from an Audi which hasn't put a foot wrong with top notch build quality I have no intention of buying a bag of nails. Servicing costs? The Audi has cost £300 in two years what might I expect with the Freelander? And tyres! I know they will tend to wear out quicker but I'd like to know how many miles I might get on a set and their replacement cost.

And lastly, I've been reading through the posts for the last month or so now, and congrats....it's a great easy to read and understand forum.

Regards

Jim

Post #28212 27th Sep 2008 9:30 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Depends on your reasons for buying a 4 x 4 but i'm sure you will have done the basic maths and it wont be cheaper to run than a diesel A4. If you want or need an 4 x 4 then thr freelander wont disappoint. Running costs are reasonable for its size and ability. Servicing over 30,000 miles will be about £400, mine is a TD4 HSE auto and i get about 32 mpg on average. Others report about 37 mpg for the manual. ive only had one reliability issue and that was this week when a cell failed in the battery, new battery fitted by LR assistance in under two hours and back on the road. Like all cars you can get a rogue one but after 2 1/2 years of production landrover seem to have ironed out all the niggles with this model. Tyres last about 35,000 miles and are roughly £150 each to replace.

Have had various estate cars and 4 x 4's over the past 10 years the Freelander definately gives the best smiles per gallon Very Happy and if you can justify it you wont regret it. By the way they are great for towing caravans if thats your vice. Thumbs Up

My advice is buy one, thers some great deals out there just dont think too much about what it will be worth in two or three years.

Post #28217 28th Sep 2008 9:47 am
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I've done 8500 miles in 6 months in a diesel HSE auto and I've not had a single problem. I get around 35-36mpg if I drive carefully and 40mpg is possible. Drive it at 85+ and you won't get that!

I've had all sorts of "premium" cars in the past and this is the best for all-round ride, performance and quality. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #28223 28th Sep 2008 9:57 pm
freebo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I have the HSE auto and really like it, its the 1st auto I've owned but I find it v relaxing to drive (compared to our other car a BMW 330i cabrio!).

I do about 300 miles per week, which I just worked out costs about £5 more in fuel per week than the manual FL2, to me its worth it.

HTH,

MIke

Post #28238 29th Sep 2008 2:59 pm
jojim65

Gents,

Thanks for your replies, If I buy one it will be purely a lifestyle choice, the same reason I bought the A4 Avant. I realise my MPG will be down and that's one of the things I'm willing to accept to sit a little higher in a very capable car. I'm not convinced yet on the Man/Auto side but if I can find a dealer willing to let me try both then I might be persuaded.

More importantly the wife likes the look of it and if she can park it okay then it's a done deal......

Now I need to find a good dealer near Hertfordshire.....just been reading a complete horror story about Chipperfield on the DISCO3 forum that has put me right off.......all suggestions welcome....

Thanks

Post #28276 29th Sep 2008 11:02 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

Isn't there always horror stories on car forums, and for every possible car in the world. Phil

Post #28282 30th Sep 2008 10:02 am
Lookers Park Royal

I've only worked for 2 brands in my 17 years in the motor trade.......... Land Rover & Audi. and both are comparable.

Would suggest the Auto in HSE due to the Auto being better for resale at that level. S and GS sell better as Manual, XS either way, and SE / HSE better as Auto.

As for dealers, there is one obvious choice but I could be bias! Besides, a huge benefit of buying from us id that the Service Manager (Paul King) of CHPR lives in St Albans!

We are happy to have an Auto and Manual side bu side for you to drive, however it would be a GS Manual. I am off site today and tomorrow, therfore if you would like to book an appointment then call our Showroom Manager Matthew Gurney on 0208 992 2299 and he will be happy to assist.

James Thumbs Up

Post #28284 30th Sep 2008 10:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jojim65

phil_wkl wrote:
Isn't there always horror stories on car forums, and for every possible car in the world.

Phil, yep your right, but this was more than being a little unhappy about the dealer!

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic24608.html

If you read the link it only happened a week ago and whilst we all have differences of opinion between the customer and the dealer I've never heard anything like it before!

James, thanks for the sales pitch, by coincidence I work not far from there and I had already seen the two Discovery's on autotrader that looked like very good prices. I'll give you a ring tomorrow. Would you be able to do a couple of hours in each?...........my wife isn't too sure if she will be comfortable with the size yet.

Thanka

Post #28301 30th Sep 2008 4:49 pm
Lookers Park Royal

Sales pitch Whistle !

I will be off site so please ask for Matthew Gurney who will look after you.

Regards,

James Thumbs Up

Post #28315 30th Sep 2008 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1