Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Flat battery (airport related??)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
adover

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Flat battery (airport related??)

Just returned from 8 days overseas leaving my FL2 in the airport car park. Returned to 'low voltage' on the radio and 'click' / no start on pressing the start button. Call to LR Assistance and 1 hour latter jump started and home.

I took the car to my dealership who (after 2 working days) tell me that the battery is okay and 'this happens at airports'. Just spoken to the Customer Relationship Centre who have the same story, it's due to the car waking up due to stray transmissions / radio traffic around the airport (this after I fell about laughing at the response).

My experience suggests that if you leave your FL2 at an airport for any length of time there is a one in three chance it will be flat when you get back.

Anyone else got a view on this? Really handy when you spend a fair bit of time overseas. Interestingly my original Freelander sat at an airport for 5 days a week for 9 months and started first time every time Andrew

Post #27932 22nd Sep 2008 3:03 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Mine did this last year, I insisted on a new battery and the problem hasnot recurred. LR batteries are Censored as are most new car batteries. It is one area where costs are cut to the minimum. You need a new battery. Thumbs Up

Post #27935 22nd Sep 2008 3:52 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Flat battery (airport related??)

adover wrote:
... it's due to the car waking up due to stray transmissions / radio traffic around the airport (this after I fell about laughing at the response).

Is it Arpil 1st? I didn't know my car had a sleep mode .... Did you park right underneath the airport radar? Whatever will they think of next ....

Reminds me of the service manager who told me I have a digital radio ... just because the radio has a digital display ... it becomes a digital radio (as in DAB) with all manner of retuning requirements.

I don't know about LR going to TaTa land, more like bloddy lala land !!! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #27936 22nd Sep 2008 4:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I had mine parked at a airport for 5 days

Not a single bit of trouble restarting it

I can confirm though i did not have any diagnostic equipment on me to test whether I was parked in a tranmission black spot.

Though in November I and going to make a tinfoil hat and wear it whilst walking away from my car just in case Laughing

What a load of LRCS Censored Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27939 22nd Sep 2008 4:17 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think we all need to realise the FL2 has character and feelings and that is what you are seeing Laughing

Agree with Tandemman that battery related issues are higher than before in the industry, which might mean that they always have been but the cars are just so much more sensitive to battery issues these days. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #28014 23rd Sep 2008 6:46 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

The car was just sulking that you hadn't brought it back anything from your trip abroad Laughing 

Post #28022 23rd Sep 2008 7:09 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:
it's due to the car waking up due to stray transmissions / radio traffic around the airport

Never heard so much crap in my entire life.

I would certainly agree with them if you parked right next to the antenna of a powerfull radio transmitter but you won't get that at an airport, most of their radio antennae are normally located off-site, some are several miles away and usually located on higher ground.

I quite often use a radio transmitter of several hundred watts and the antenna is no more than 10 yards away from the car and it hasn't caused any problems.

Sounds like the dealer is fobbing you off with one seriously lame excuse. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #28027 23rd Sep 2008 8:25 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Dave at home:- Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #28028 23rd Sep 2008 8:37 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

So..so you might say..he's .....he's....MAKING WAVES !!!!

D'you see? Waves! ha haaaaa. Very Happy

I'll fetch me coat.....

Post #28037 23rd Sep 2008 11:16 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #28038 24th Sep 2008 8:29 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dave wrote:
I quite often use a radio transmitter of several hundred watts and the antenna is no more than 10 yards away from the car and it hasn't caused any problems.

With the car that is....what about you Laughing Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #28051 24th Sep 2008 3:27 pm
rovers

England 2007 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame

Hi guys ,Ive parked mine at heathrow twice for three weeks and had no trouble at all starting. Laughing I have a LR2GS with privacy glass and winter pack

Post #28072 25th Sep 2008 12:38 am
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Had LR Assist out on a different matter , and I mentioned to the guy that I had suffered a flat battery recently while parked in the driveway. He mentioned that "it's not unusual" , but the frequency had decreased after some software mods were done (didn't mention specifics). He did recount a tale of having to use the key to get into a car , because it was so asleep it wouldn't wake up Smile . After a hard reset (battery disconnect) it all burst back into life.
So these FL2s have a personality!

Post #28073 25th Sep 2008 12:47 am
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Have to say this is no bull s**t my x-type jaguar did the same thing at east midlands airport last year i was told by recovery people and sturgess jaguar that the car goes into sleep mode and the key entry is the only way to start the motor.mention this to land rover dealer and they said freelander would also do this but after about 4 weeks then you need to take cap off door handle and insert the little key which is inside key fob to open the door this put the motor back into wake mode. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #28101 25th Sep 2008 3:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

RRS, Disco3 and FFRR all go to sleep if you park them with the suspension in access mode, also if you park them without engaging the electronic parking brake manually, the car will also engage it for you after 5-10minutes. But then if you do get a flat battery you cannot recover the car, even by winching it onto a trailer, unless you lift it onto a flatbed with a Hyab................................. because it's an ELECTRONIC parking brake, no power , no release. Big Cry Great design boys................................. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #28103 25th Sep 2008 4:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>