« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > fitting a tow bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Yelnats69

England 
fitting a tow bar

Has anyone fitted a PFJones own brand detachable tow bar?

The add say no bumper removal and no cutting???

I tried to insert the ebay link but did not work.

I read somewhere that a member had managed to fit the bar without drilling the holes behind the reflectors, any specific information.
My master plan is to save some cash, on the two bar fitting, but want to go the dedicated electrics as I have Park assist, wife just sitting around so will give her something to do while I watch football.

I have limited faculties and will have to buy some the tools as I am a long way from home and my junked up garage.
I do have electric drill, and a snide socket set.

I am currently in Folkestone but don't seem to have members near me or a tool loan shop.

Can it be done with the vehicle on the floor? I don't have a trolley jack.

I got a quote from the main agent, but I think they put their telephone number in the price box my mistake.

2008 HSE auto diesel

Post #292255 2nd Mar 2016 9:16 am
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

Fitting instructions are on the PF Jones website. You don't need to remove the bumper but do have to drill two holes through it behind the reflector.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/PF%20Jones_fitting/RV4334.pdf Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #292269 2nd Mar 2016 12:20 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

You can fit the towbar with the vehicle on the ground.

There is at least one member here that fitted without removing the bumper or drilling holes behind the reflector. I seem to recall scraped knuckles was his reward.

You should have a decent torque wrench available. Don't trust very cheap sockets as the torque setting for the main bolts is quite high. If one was to fail you'd probably say ouch - very loudly Very Happy

Both the towbar and OEM electrics are an easy DIY job.

Post #292271 2nd Mar 2016 12:57 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Just drill the holes in the bumper.. It really has no effect on the bumper or the reflector.

the 2x nuts will not be easy to get to especially if you're limited on tools, i.e. if you had a stubby ratchet spanner etc.

the only way you will get around not drilling the holes (without special tools) is to remove the bumper.

I fitted a genuine LR (Brink) fixed tow bar last weekend. I drilled the holes, removed the nuts, fitted the N/S bracket with the 2 bolts and 2 nuts in about 10 minutes, the whole job took no more than 45 minutes, although I have many tools, the effot involved in trying to get to those nuts and equally removing the bumper is not worth it..

getting the towbat past the exhaust was the biggest challange, but i was being fairly lazy and left the tow bar all in one piece, so it had the tow ball and everything on..

I will be fitting the electrics this weekend and taking the horse for a jolly to the resevoir nearby to test it out Smile MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #292279 2nd Mar 2016 2:10 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Yelnats69
I have sent you a PM No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #292295 2nd Mar 2016 5:06 pm
NA1959

United Kingdom 
Towbar options

Like you I have been on the Jones e bay site looking at their deals and to be fair I am more undecided! The option of a detachable appeals but fixed much cheaper! Also does the wiring kit they suggest at around 165£ be their own one or Landrovers original?

Post #292328 3rd Mar 2016 1:06 am
freelander2002

England 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I am really interested in this thread, I keep coming back to the idea of a towbar but there are that many options etc it gives me a headache Thumbs Up 2010 HSE SD4 in Santorini black
(Privacy glass, leather/heated seats, ICE, Verde AS M+S)

2002 Freelander GS TD4
(sold 2011)

Post #292349 3rd Mar 2016 10:50 am
Browny90

I perosnally dont like detachable tow bars, although i'm sure they're safe enough, i cant help but worry about the connection.. Especially as I tow horses, more precious than a caravan in my opinion..

I like solid bolts that I know are the correct tensile strength that I've torqued and are unlikely to just come off..
Also dont like the thought of somebody stealing the donkey d*#K on a detachable, which I've heard is common..

Although many probably dont like the tow bar attached all the time due to extensive shin pain or greasy jeans, All 3 of my Land Rovers have fixed to bars so you get used to it, and actually the FL2 doesnt seem to stick out too much.

Plus, I tow the horse box at least 3 times a week so i think it would be constantly fitted anyway, so I can see the benefits if you tow a caravan/ trailer occasionally. MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black

Post #292350 3rd Mar 2016 11:06 am
NA1959

United Kingdom 

Very sound advice!

I tow a medium size Ivor williams trailer and at times a caravan so a fixed bar is what I had been thinking. Also own a Disco 1 for the heavy work!!!

Post #292368 3rd Mar 2016 1:58 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Browny90 wrote:
I perosnally dont like detachable tow bars, although i'm sure they're safe enough, i cant help but worry about the connection.. Especially as I tow horses, more precious than a caravan in my opinion..

I like solid bolts that I know are the correct tensile strength that I've torqued and are unlikely to just come off..
Also dont like the thought of somebody stealing the donkey d*#K on a detachable, which I've heard is common..

Although many probably dont like the tow bar attached all the time due to extensive shin pain or greasy jeans, All 3 of my Land Rovers have fixed to bars so you get used to it, and actually the FL2 doesnt seem to stick out too much.

Plus, I tow the horse box at least 3 times a week so i think it would be constantly fitted anyway, so I can see the benefits if you tow a caravan/ trailer occasionally.

Land Rover recommend fixed tow bars for anything more than occasional towing so for most caravanners a detachable is fine.

The bolts and torque settings for the main towbar to car fitting are the same and are exceedingly unlikely to 'just come off' if fitted correctly and I can't say I have ever heard that detachable hooks being stolen is common. They lock into the receiver which probably makes them no less easy to nick than a regular towball.

A fixed bar for you with the frequently towed horse box would be the better option I believe.

Post #292402 3rd Mar 2016 6:16 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

As above can't beat a fixed system even if you only tow once a year! All of our Land Rovers have a fixed tow bar. If you do a lot of extremely heavy towing the tow ball will eventually wear away. A fixed tow ball can be replaced for under £10. Now well a detachable system will cost you a lot more! Bit of a no brianer Laughing MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #292407 3rd Mar 2016 6:50 pm
Browny90

I think that, mainly because it's removed and attached & detached more frequently there is the element of human error involved, not locking, not fitting correctly?

I bought a detachable tow bar from a lady in Bham, who had to replace the detachable part due to it being stolen, also happened to someone I work with so common in my opinion.. MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black

Post #292410 3rd Mar 2016 7:01 pm
Yelnats69

England 
Re: Towbar options

you can buy an oem from the dealers I got quoted £156.25 inc Vat they will fit and program the computer for £54.
I bought complete genuine kit from ebay (well I paid for it not delivered yet) but I was really tempted after all the options of going to the main dealer and get the electrics correctly installed, towbar somewhere else..
My local indy said the would charge £35 to adjust the computer.
I expect I will fit the electrics myself, not sure about the bar itself (AT 73 not so nimble)

Might have to result to hanging around a zebra crossing till some one ask's "can I help you".....thank you young man I need my tow bar fitted...LOL

I will post my experience if and when the tow bar arrives.

looking for a friendly fitter in kent

NA1959 wrote:
Like you I have been on the Jones e bay site looking at their deals and to be fair I am more undecided! The option of a detachable appeals but fixed much cheaper! Also does the wiring kit they suggest at around 165£ be their own one or Landrovers original?

Post #292850 7th Mar 2016 10:07 am
Yelnats69

England 
Tow bars and the MOT

I was told that the older twin socket are now subject to the mot?????

if you have a detachable and its not detached? do they still check the electrics? had mot in January on my S-Type and I know the socket lights were not working, ????? but it passed.

Post #292852 7th Mar 2016 10:19 am
NA1959

United Kingdom 

Like you I decided to buy a genuine LR tow bar and electrodes of e bay! Awaiting delivery this week

And So like you will fit it !

I have a large garage come workshop but full of three current projects yet another story!

So may have to use a friends garage and hopefully his ramp

Post #292853 7th Mar 2016 10:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>