« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Price of Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

just think of the premium though

Might have a look at a kuga and ask the question Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27868 21st Sep 2008 8:26 pm
gamesNET2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I went to AJS tyres J8 on M25 other week for some tyres, ended up getting all four so as not to mix it up etc. £525 with VAT and fitting, General GRabber UHP. meant to be pretty good in the wet and light off roading - which they are!

Post #27881 21st Sep 2008 10:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

They are the forum sponsors on RRS Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27883 21st Sep 2008 10:31 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tokk CG's advice and searched on Ebay for wheels and tyres. Now bought 3 new HSE 18" wheels, one with brand new tyre and 2 with almost new tyres all for £350. I now have more wheels and tyres than i know what to do with but also have a full size spare instead of the 50mph steel thing that comes with the car. This was from a front end wright off that some poor owner suffered, hope no one was injured.

Does anyone want to buy a used 18" alloy with part worn tyre or a brand new steel wheel with tyre as a spare.

Post #28343 1st Oct 2008 12:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

pop them on the for sale section

might get a little most views Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #28344 1st Oct 2008 1:18 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks for that useful explanation NP

I have a friend who has run various Volvo's with 4WD and recently he had a puncture on his 3 month old XC70............ called out Volvo Assistance who told him he would be looking at 4 new tyres Shocked Shocked

Yes it turns out that with the 4wd system on the XC Volvos you will cause damage to the 4WD system if you don't replace all 4 tyres at the same time, even after less than 6k miles - it will void the warranty on the drive train and transmission apparently if you don't! Think yourself lucky that LR and Volvo don't use the same design of 4WD systems!
Now the Ford Kuga and the new XC 60 both share the same 4WD system, I wonder how many loyal Ford owners will be told that when they take delivery of their shiney new Kugas

Does anyone remember the 4WD version of the Cavalier/Calibra dating from the late 80's/early 90's?
It was vital on those that all of the tyres were worn to within 2mm of each other, or else the transmission might fail, and that used to cost a packet, apparently. So if you had good tyres with say 5mm on them and you had a puncture, the new tyre would have 8mm on it thereby requiring 4 new tyres. Expensive eh!

Post #28350 1st Oct 2008 3:35 pm
El Nino

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

FWIW my local Costco will not replace FL 2 tyres unless it's all 4 at once.

Post #28351 1st Oct 2008 3:49 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

blackcircles.co.uk and mytyres.co.uk are often the cheapest around. They will even arrange fitting.
My last set came from them and the only complaint was that the fitting station was a bit crap and after a couple of months I had the lot rebalanced at my normal place. But, even then I saved a packet.

What do you fit though?
Michelin last well admittedly but my FL has 21k and the tyres won't see out the winter so they're not that great.
Looking at the web sites, I can get a new set of Michelins for £152 ea. Ok, but, I can get Toyos for £98 or Khumos for £103. Even continental are only £110. Thats a saving of £200! Ok lots of you will now say Toyo/Khumo who? but I switched the merc to Federal tyres from Continental and Bridegstone. Big brands were £130-£150 ea . Federals cost me £60 each, lasted the exact same mileage and were actually slightly better on grip - so, you don't always get what you pay for. I've convinced a coiuple of friends to follow the same route and they're thrilled - 1/2 the cost and no discernable difference. If you don't believe me, google the brands, they often have a huge following and lots of recommendations. Obviously the really cheap stuff from Korea should probably still be avoided Smile

People often insist on what was fitted by the factory as they are 'approved' but we all know that this approval was based primarily on how many container loads the manufacturer was prepared to offer to LR at a knock down price - hence why some folk have Goodyear and I've got Michelin on the same car. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #28386 2nd Oct 2008 11:29 am
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

another one wrote:

Does anyone want to buy a used 18" alloy with part worn tyre or a brand new steel wheel with tyre as a spare.

Sorry but I just wouldn't touch a used tyre. You just don't know what trauma it's been through. I recently wrecked a tyre - just a moment's lapse of concentration but I clipped it over a tall kerb at 60mph. To glance at it it was fine, but as I knew what to look for and given the big black mark on the alloy, where to find it, it didn't take long to realise that the sidewall wasn't quite as straight as it used to be. Big Cry 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #28387 2nd Oct 2008 11:39 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

chicken george wrote:

Side note.. a Citroen van stopped yesterday at the end of my farm lane with a puncture, blocking the exit. As my combine harvester was due home any minute I hurriedly changed the tyre for the driver to clear the road again. On reaching around the wheel to remove it, my fingers got spiked on all the wire plies hanging out of the back of the tyre. It wasn't a 'puncture' the tyres had worn through Shocked .

He He The woman whose tyre I changed brought a box of chocs round today and told Mrs G that I was a lovely man Rolling with laughter At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #29359 17th Oct 2008 4:31 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

chicken george wrote:
chicken george wrote:

Side note.. a Citroen van stopped yesterday at the end of my farm lane with a puncture, blocking the exit. As my combine harvester was due home any minute I hurriedly changed the tyre for the driver to clear the road again. On reaching around the wheel to remove it, my fingers got spiked on all the wire plies hanging out of the back of the tyre. It wasn't a 'puncture' the tyres had worn through Shocked .

He He The woman whose tyre I changed brought a box of chocs round today and told Mrs G that I was a lovely man Rolling with laughter

i hope Mrs G is OK a shock like that could have een serious Rolling with laughter 

Post #29363 17th Oct 2008 5:14 pm
Steuart64

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

Do Volvo supply a spare for XCs?

If they do it would seem in conflict with the warranty? 07 RRS Java Black

Ex - '56 FL2 SE TD4 manual, Narvik Black, Tinted Glass, Cool Blue LEDS Internal and puddle/wing mirror lights. Smoked side repeats. Genuine Imatation Walnut facia

Post #29525 20th Oct 2008 12:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12