« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Left Freelander 2 Ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Spatch

England 
Left Freelander 2 Ownership

Well, after 12 months of troubled FL2 ownership I have given in left LR ownership. I have had two Freelanders within the year. The first manual 2012 TD4 XS was swapped due to the well discussed hesitation (in the warmer weather), poor turbo lag and clutch judder. The second 2014 SD4 HSE Lux had a jolty gearbox plus the (again previously discussed on this forum) hesitation when pulling out quickly onto a fast moving road it just used to sit there for half a second or so before it started moving which was very unnerving. Between the two cars, they had been back to the dealers for a significant amount of time and I just got fed up. This is a great shame as I really liked the SD4 HSE Lux.

Anyway, I started to look around and I have decided on a BMW X3 30d M Sport. Yes, it wont be as good off road but I never go off road apart from parking a caravan (or recovering it). Most of my driving is on the motorways and around town, and towing a caravan.

The BMW is a lovely car, build quality is great, the gearbox is silky smooth and the 6cyl engine is spectacular in its smoothness, power and torque delivery, and it is remarkably efficient.

I have had a Series 3 and 110 before and had really wanted to have a Freelander for the next 5-6 years. Its a great shame I have had to move to a German car to get what I wanted (and expected) for this amount of money.

I know the Freelander and X3 do not have quite the same design remit but for me it was the effectiveness of the whole package that was important. If the Freelander had worked for me (without the problems) then I would still be a very happy FL2 owner.

Its been a short relationship but I would like to say thanks to all who have assisted in responding to my queries.

All the best,
Mark

Post #291178 21st Feb 2016 10:31 pm
Culagh

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Ipanema Sand

You Just wait till it Snows Rolling with laughter

Post #291186 21st Feb 2016 11:38 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Some German 4x4s are good in the snow, Unimogs for instance?

Post #291188 22nd Feb 2016 12:00 am
marklp

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Culagh wrote:

My RWD 530d was brilliant in snow. The traction control was brilliant. You just had to be sensible and not wear lead boots. I'm sure the X3 will be even more capable. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE Auto Santorini Black / Ebony Leather

Post #291190 22nd Feb 2016 12:22 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Culagh wrote:

Well so far in 6 years of Freelader 2 ownership pulled out 3 BMW X3 1 BMW 3 series 1 BMW X5

snow or mud never a problem .. hope you keep it on paved roads ... Whistle Whistle Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #291197 22nd Feb 2016 8:20 am
EYorkshire

I won't decry your choice, best of luck and hope you enjoy it Thumbs Up

Post #291202 22nd Feb 2016 9:17 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

mudslinger wrote:
Culagh wrote:

Well so far in 6 years of Freelader 2 ownership pulled out 3 BMW X3 1 BMW 3 series 1 BMW X5

snow or mud never a problem .. hope you keep it on paved roads ... Whistle Whistle

Perhaps the BMW drivers weren't as competent as you? Could be the driver rather than the vehicle so much?

It would be interesting to know as a percentage how many Freelander owners have actually ever driven off-road (properly) against X3 owners similarly. I suspect those who off-road regularly would not gravitate to an X3, which doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle itself isn't capable?

Post #291213 22nd Feb 2016 10:44 am
Spatch

England 

Yes, you are probably right, technology is no substitute for experience.

There are videos of an X3 pulling itself up a ramp with three wheels having no grip whatsoever, so just using the one wheel with grip. As far as I am aware, it uses a very similar system to the FL2 with the Haldex unit and using the brakes to stop wheels with no grip from spinning, therefore, directing power to those that do. It should be pretty capable.

No it doesn't have the different traction modes or axle articulation but it should hold its own in the right hands in a majority of cases most of us are likely to see on the roads or in camp sites.

For me, 99% of my driving is solo on roads so this aspect of the car is the most important, as long as it can tow well when needed. This is where the X3 excels. It is also bigger inside and more efficient.

The Freelander (I had 2 in one year) was a great car - don't get me wrong, but was let down by problems that affected their drivability which is something that I could not live with. I moved on.

As some of you are suggesting, I am not expecting to have to be towed out of any situation. I have done my fair share of driving off road and in snow so I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing. If I do, however, I will be grateful to receive help from anyone whether they are driving a Tiguan, Q5, Defender, Dacia or Freelander, the same way I would help someone in a similar situation.

Post #291302 22nd Feb 2016 6:16 pm
Spatch

England 

EYorkshire wrote:
I won't decry your choice, best of luck and hope you enjoy it Thumbs Up

Thank you.

Post #291306 22nd Feb 2016 6:24 pm
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up good luck and happy motoring 2008 xs
Snorkel
raised axle/gearbox breathers
Mantec tank guard
Cb radio
Blanked EGR
Sump guard
Scratches
Snolkle

Post #291309 22nd Feb 2016 6:48 pm
DeeJayCee

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As someone new to FL2 ownership that doesnt give me confidence for the future! But i cannot fault your logic. And, given your experience, if something else does what you need and does it better (save for full off road stuff) then that must be the way to go. 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto - Stornoway Grey - Hers (His, really)
2002 Audi S8 4.2 Quattro - Ming Blue - Definitely His

Post #291316 22nd Feb 2016 7:11 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
The fading of the light.

Good luck to you Spatch with the Beamer. I think Beamers have great engineering - just wish LR paid as much attention to engineering - LR obsession is fluff and marketing. It is sad to see something of a fading of the light as Freely2 owners jump ship and abandon the brand. No doubt some will become Premium people and buy into Ewoks or the Disjointed Sports models but unless LR do something special with the eventual Defender replacement many Freely2 owners and forumites will be driving their last Landrover.

Post #291323 22nd Feb 2016 8:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Spatch

England 

Thanks chaps.

As I said, its a great shame, I was really looking forward to owning a Landrover again. With the X3, it all just 'works'. Its difficult to put a finger on it but it just feels right and there are no annoying little gripes to have to put up with. I get into it not worrying about it jolting or creaking, but just enjoying it (as far as you can on our congested roads) and seeing the average fuel consumption at around 40mpg Very Happy .

DeeJayCee, don't worry to much as there are loads on this forum who are totally happy with their Freelander, with no gripes at all. I just wasn't one of them. I am sure yours will be fine. Enjoy the forum as there are loads of helpful people here.

Post #291386 23rd Feb 2016 10:37 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
leaving

Hi Spatch, sorry to hear about your troubles as its not a nice feeling, been there myself with a 14 plate which has just gone!!
hope you enjoy BMW, I have gone for the Tiguan.
Also thanked a few on here who tried to help, even going a far as putting their own diagnostics on it, huge problem with two dealers done it for me also lost all confidence in it.
you will get some that will try and belittle your choice but to me it seems if my freelander was as good as theirs I would still have it today.
must be some lucky Censored about hey? If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #291400 23rd Feb 2016 1:01 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

good luck with the X3, superb vehicle.

I left for a Volvo XC60, and don't think I'll ever be back to Landrover, but never say never !!

Iain

Post #291425 23rd Feb 2016 4:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>