« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > towbar kit and stability control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mike5100

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
towbar kit and stability control

Hi Guys, My daughter has just bought an 09 FL2 - we live up in county Durham. And so far she is loving it.
I am trying to solve a problem and hope you guys can help. Done lots of searches so apologies if the answer is in here and I have missed it.
Many forums suggest the dedicated wiring kit (and a recode by the dealer) allows the car's various safety features (TSA, etc) to function with the trailer attached. But Landrover's own video says that TSA functions without the need for a trailers electrics to be connected. So how would that work?
(I'm aware that there are other advantages such as beeps and lights and fog ligths etc in having the dedicated kit fitted but it's only worth the extra £140 to her if it's a major contribution to safe towing.
many thanks
Mike

Post #290099 11th Feb 2016 8:58 pm
Dartman the one

England 

TSA is an extension to the stability program, it's always there and operates when the movement on the car exceeds normal expectations.
As the car is canbus electronics, it makes more sense to buy dedicated electrics either LR or tow bar maker supplied, you really don't want a car shut down because a bit of water gets into a plug and shuts down the canbus data. I know of a Merc that was wired without dedicated electrics and the car shut down, £800 later and 5 days the fault was traced to one power supply wired the wrong side of a fuse. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #290106 11th Feb 2016 10:26 pm
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

+1 for the dedicated electrics. There are so many problems caused by connecting into the wrong place. Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #290193 12th Feb 2016 5:14 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I've got a used but serviceable Land Rover cable and 12 pin connector which I could live without Whistle especially for a reasonable offer Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #290205 12th Feb 2016 8:24 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

When I bought my Freelander I had several brake downs caused by loss of electrics on one occasion it died on me when driving on a narrow one way street. I was Censored. The doors wouldn't work or anything then as if by magic came back to life. Took it to my local Land Rover dealer who couldn't find a single fault except for a solar sensor software update.
One day I was speaking to a delivery lorry driver who drop of some gear at work any way he said he has too of his own Freelander 2 one for him the other for his wife. Any way he told me of a problem he had with a poorly fitted tow bar his wife had done to her Freelander the cause was traced to a cheap bypass relay electrics being soldered into the existing wiring loom it caused interrupted can bus signals causing total shut down and caused stalling issues when reverse gear was selected to reverse up steep hills etc. I took my Freelander in to bee looked at and found the same issue I had to have the connections removed then the loom repaired and then had a dedicated plug in kit fitted. Now when I fit the trailer the rear parking sensors are disabled the trailer stability is activated which worked a treat for me when one of my trailer tires blew out on the A30 last year the stability control kept the trailer in control until I safely came to a stop.

Post #290225 12th Feb 2016 11:22 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

On Can-bus cars, always go for dedicated electrics. Preferably genuine LR. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #290382 14th Feb 2016 5:18 pm
Mike5100

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks guys - towbar being fitted next week with dedicated electrics (and alko compatible ball)
Mike

Post #290597 16th Feb 2016 3:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1