Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Why Should I Change to a Freelander2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
v6paw

United Kingdom 
Why Should I Change to a Freelander2?

I have an X-Trail company car, a 55 plate 2.2 dCi SVE, which has been perfectly comfortable and reliable in the 3 years and 125k miles since I got it from new. I'm now looking to change, and considering a TD4 HSE, which I think looks great, and probably suits my needs.

Whatever I chose, I will be stuck with it for up to 150k miles or four years... so I don't want to make a mistake!! Now I'm used to Japanese quality and reliability, might I be disappointed? I don't like the look of the new X-Trail by the way...

The only other vehicle that I've seriously considered is the BMW X3, but it seems like I'll need to spend an awful lot more to get the same level of equipment.

I've never had an automatic before but I've heard lots of good things about the HSE auto; any views please?

Thanks in advance...

Post #27427 15th Sep 2008 7:59 pm
v6paw

United Kingdom 

I carefully composed the message, and then forgot my name on the bottom...

Oops...

Paul

Post #27428 15th Sep 2008 8:00 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've never driven an xtrail but judging by all the reviews i've read the Freelander2 is better. Just done 35000 miles in th past year in mine and dont regret the choice. If you can put up with the extra tax go for the auto, its brilliant and so easy to drive. I'm sure others will say the manual is just as good but cant comment as i have not driven one. I have had not reliability issues except the bluetooth phone can be a bit tempremental until you find the right phone.

If you get one you wont regret it. Go on, just not a black one.

Post #27431 15th Sep 2008 8:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

likewise i have never driven an X-Trail or even looked at one close up.

I have the manual and i find it a pleasure to drive, though if i had the option i would have got the auto as its a great drive.

If i was driving 125k miles i would look at the auto as i expect you'll see a traffic jam or two

You not mentioned off road, but if you like the sound of it, the auto is the better of the fl2 for this, but the manual can still hold its own Thumbs Up

bluetooth phone kit is ok, but not as good as something like a parrot kit (so i'm told though i have never had one of those either)

See if your local dealer will let you have a extended test drive, and also give LR customer services a ring requesting a brochure , explain your looking for a new 4x4 and are thinking of the X-Trail etc, they might throw a Land Rover Experience your way as a "look what it can do" day Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27437 15th Sep 2008 9:09 pm
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

v6paw
Freelander 2 everytime... When i was originally looking around this time last year, i had a test drive of the x-Trail, CRV etc and after taking the landy out... no comparison in my opinion. The FL2 looks better, drives nicer and with the HSE is just as good if not better equipped than a fully loaded x-trail / CRV. The only noticeable omission on the freelander was no reverse camera, no big deal really..

Welcome to the forum..

Stevea 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Last edited by Stevea on 15th Sep 2008 10:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #27447 15th Sep 2008 10:07 pm
Neil

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I've had several Defenders and more recently a Freelander 1; have driven most other 4x4's including the X-trail. The first 30 seconds of a test drive in the FL2 sold it to me!

Post #27451 15th Sep 2008 10:32 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

FREELANDER 2 HSE AUTO

Best set of wheels I have ever had!! By the way, the X3 isnt a true BMW it is built by Koreans!! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #27456 15th Sep 2008 11:35 pm
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

HSE auto, why bother with a manual, these autos are just as fun without the leg work! Thumbs Up

Dorko

Post #27458 16th Sep 2008 12:14 am
Bartosz

Poland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Sumatra Black

I work at the Nissan dealer and the predominance of the X-Trail to
-- Greater culture of engine
TD4
-- Better dynamics regardless of the gearbox (with both versions 150KM and 173KM)
-- Better driving on the road
-- Better the steering
-- The absence of corrective campaign
-- Greater depth immersion
-- Better driving characteristics on the ground
-- Relatively small differences in price
-- Greater security (euroNcap)

and no to what has Freelander and there is no X-Trail - namely the history of the brand

This so quickly on

and on the sidelines Freelandera I bought it without driving test (the so-blind) - no, only now can choose a better version because I know that as soon it did not sell

is the best car in its class in all respects _________________________
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S auto Sumatra black, 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, 6 CD Changer, wood effect fascia kit , spoiler , sport grille ,tungsten handles , bluetooth kit, clear side repeaters,front and rear lamp guards, bumper styling cover, roof rails - SOLD ! Sad

Post #27461 16th Sep 2008 5:20 am
Bartosz

Poland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Sumatra Black

This so quickly on _________________________
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S auto Sumatra black, 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, 6 CD Changer, wood effect fascia kit , spoiler , sport grille ,tungsten handles , bluetooth kit, clear side repeaters,front and rear lamp guards, bumper styling cover, roof rails - SOLD ! Sad

Post #27463 16th Sep 2008 5:21 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I first tried a X3 auto (with 3-litre motor with all equipment) and also been passenger on a long trip in a well equipped 2-litre version, then the new X-Trail (basically equipped), then the latest model Mitsubishi Outlander before I tried a FL2 HSE automatic. Maybe not a fair comparison but here my reasons for choosing what I did (for what they are worth).

Loved the BMW (had owned a 3-series Touring for 8 years). The X-Trail seemed dreary to drive and a bit old fashioned in design and equipment details. The Mitsubishi was very well equipped, cheap, a 5-year guarantee, modern looks and very very booooring to drive. I was very sceptical about buying a Land Rover as I had heard lots of negative things about the old model, but when I drove the FR2 the first time I just felt I just gotta have one. After the second drive a week later I ordered one on the spot - it was much better to drive than all the others. Well equipped and almost perfect, except for a few detail things the BMW has a better design for (personal meaning). However mechanically, off-road and on-road, comfort, looks, finish etc the FL2 beats the S Censored T out of the others and I can say I am a 100% satisfied owner, and with no problems or issues so far after 10-months ownership. The reason I choose a manual was mainly economically but also partly availability. If I could choose I would go for an automatic.

Hope this helps – But I could choose for you I would say “go for a FL2”
Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #27465 16th Sep 2008 7:26 am
AndyC

sorry double posting - finger problem Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #27466 16th Sep 2008 7:26 am
tunaz100

United Kingdom 

Go for the Freelander 2, go for the Freelander 2, go for the Freelander 2!

I've got an auto GS with a few essential options such as leather and privacy glass and it's brilliant I've changed from an Audi A4 avant and the FL2 is a much better car in every respect.

I've done 7000 miles in 3 months and don't think there is a better motorway cruiser out there, the auto box is a revelation and I average 34mpg. The build quality is very good and it has won every group test I've ever seen it in so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I tested the x-trail and it just didn't have the feel good factor the FL2 provides.

Post #27468 16th Sep 2008 8:08 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hello Paul, now a response from Germany:
I have excanged my BMW X3 against the Freelender 2 HSE Automatic, with no regret 12 months after.
The BMW is rough and stiff on the road due to its extreme "sporty" suspension. The Freelander 2 is exactly the opposite: smooth and quiet and still responsive in steering. Personally I like the design of the Freely 2 better than the X3 with its unsteady lines. Reliability of my Freely 2 has not been an issue at all - but I had quite some problems with my X3. With the changes in model year 2009 of the Freely 2 I would NOT buy the HSE anymore, but the SE, as the new Alcantara and Leather seats look, feel and sit great.

Shilen: who told you that the BMW X3 is made by Koreans? It may be that the one or other worker has been born in Korea with a German passport as on today, but in general the X3 is Made in Germany.

YF

Post #27470 16th Sep 2008 8:38 am
AndyC

yamaha-fan wrote:

Shilen: who told you that the BMW X3 is made by Koreans? It may be that the one or other worker has been born in Korea with a German passport as on today, but in general the X3 is Made in Germany.

YF

I heard somewhere recently that the new (or replacement if you like) X3 that is being deleloped will be produced in the USA - Does this mean that production will stop in Germany Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #27474 16th Sep 2008 9:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>