Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Towbar Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What I cannot understand is the fact that you British guys seem to prefer to buy Britsh without first checking the offers from European vendors.
The very best (tested) towbar you can buy (not only) for the Freely 2 is the detachable Westfalia tow bar with totally compliant electrical wiring set (7 or 13 poles) at less than EUR 300,00. The Westfalia tow bar cannot be seen under the rear bumper, once detached, as the electrical plug-in will clip under the bumper. The fitting instructions you can load down under "www. rameder.de" - for the tow bar itself and the electrical wiring set.

YF

Post #27587 17th Sep 2008 12:52 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

yamaha-fan wrote:
What I cannot understand is the fact that you British guys seem to prefer to buy Britsh without first checking the offers from European vendors.
The very best (tested) towbar you can buy (not only) for the Freely 2 is the detachable Westfalia tow bar with totally compliant electrical wiring set (7 or 13 poles) at less than EUR 300,00. The Westfalia tow bar cannot be seen under the rear bumper, once detached, as the electrical plug-in will clip under the bumper. The fitting instructions you can load down under "www. rameder.de" - for the tow bar itself and the electrical wiring set.

YF

I did and got a Land Rover tow-bar that is actually made in Sweden by Thule Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #27590 17th Sep 2008 1:20 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Perhaps we prefer to support our "Local Economy" first, then only shop abroad when we can't find what we're looking for here in the UK. Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #27608 17th Sep 2008 3:11 pm
AndyC

Dave wrote:
Perhaps we prefer to support our "Local Economy" first, then only shop abroad when we can't find what we're looking for here in the UK. Thumbs Up

As I just mentioned - the Land Rover removable tow-bar is not made in the UK - you dont get the choice if you buy LR you get a Swedish made one but marketed as a UK one Thumbs Up
Bet a lot of the electronics in the FL2 is Japanese as well Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #27617 17th Sep 2008 5:14 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Perhaps I didn't word my reply correctly.. Embarassed

Should have said that some of us prefer to support our "local" suppliers before we look elsewhere for the goods regardless of where they are made. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #27621 17th Sep 2008 6:33 pm
AndyC

Dave wrote:
Perhaps I didn't word my reply correctly.. Embarassed

Should have said that some of us prefer to support our "local" suppliers before we look elsewhere for the goods regardless of where they are made.

Thumbs Up Thanks for buying Scandinavian then (if you purchased LR) Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #27624 17th Sep 2008 7:10 pm
jimbojay

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Re: Towbar Questions

MikeW wrote:
Prior to collecting my new FL2 last weekend, the LR dealer arranged for a Witter swan neck tow bar to be fitted by the local Witter agent. I took the FL2 to the caravan today to try the tow bar and electrics and a couple of unexpected things happened.

First of all, the parking sensors do not appear to be aware that the caravan is behind as I got a constant beep when selecting reverse with the caravan hitched up Shocked

Also, the trailer turn signal on the dash does not work but there is an audible sound (albeit quite feint) coming from the boot area when indicating.

The dealer told me that the electronics had been updated to disable the parking sensors when towing, so I suspect that the towbar has not been fitted correctly. I've looked at some posts on here for inspiration bit it appears that towbars are a black art!

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

I to went for the witter detatchable fitted by an outside company (not LR) a couple of reasons it was over £150 cheaper than the LR offering and didnt require a bumper cut/massacre they did offer me the Brink one which is what i understand the LR fitted option is but said required the bumper cut!!! I had the 13pin electrics and they told me what was required ie the trailer module and the software code update which they carried out for me, ie disable sensors etc
All worked fine......till last day of my holiday when i had my first (touch wood) fail to start trip reset/HDC fault and Transmission fault!!!! Big Cry Did all the normal different key etc nothing, phoned LR assist and they came in about an hour only downside was it was an agent so he just stuck on the voltmeter under 10volts put on thepower pack and it started, asked if anything was left on (None) and then advised to go to LR if problem persists!!! Coupled up to the van and only electrics that would work were the brake lights, and the parking sensors were staying on!!! got to next site and thought will just have to see what happens, but decided to have a look at wiring and basically pulled all relays on towbar electrics and reseated them and all worked again!!! Looks like the trailer electrics relay siphoned my battery and then faulted all bar the live and the brake lights!!! Got to take it back to towbar fitters and see what comes!!!! Worth thinking about if anyone else gets similar probs!!!!!! Phew too much typing with my hangover!!!!!!! Set low standards and constantly fail to achieve them!!!!!!!!!!!
Sleep Deprivation Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #27833 21st Sep 2008 11:05 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I'd get the dealer to check the battery, mine was faulty and the dealer replaced it no problem Thumbs Up

Post #27880 21st Sep 2008 9:19 pm
MikeW

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the advice so far.

The dealer has now said that the 'Trailer Module' (a Land Rover part) has not been fitted hence the reason why the trailer turn signal on the dash do not work and the parking sensors are not automatically disabled. He also said that this module can only be fitted to a Land Rover towbar kit (mine is a Witter) and in any case, the module is an extra £150 Shocked

So, does anyone know if this Trailer Module can only work with an LR towbar kit, or will it work with a Witter towbar?

I must say I'm annoyed as I made it clear that I wanted the trailer turn signals to work, and the sensors to cancel automatically at the outset and it was not made clear to me that this can only be the case with a Land Rover towbar. If I had known that (or indeed if it's true!) then I would have gone for the LR kit instead as the dealer offered both options and didn't explain the pitfalls on the Witter towbar!!

Post #27937 22nd Sep 2008 4:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I'm sure somebody has had the sensors sorted if not the dashlight aswell

Hang fire I am sure you get the answer you need Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27938 22nd Sep 2008 4:11 pm
jimbojay

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

MikeW wrote:

The dealer has now said that the 'Trailer Module' (a Land Rover part) has not been fitted hence the reason why the trailer turn signal on the dash do not work and the parking sensors are not automatically disabled. He also said that this module can only be fitted to a Land Rover towbar kit (mine is a Witter) and in any case, the module is an extra £150 Shocked

So, does anyone know if this Trailer Module can only work with an LR towbar kit, or will it work with a Witter towbar?

I must say I'm annoyed as I made it clear that I wanted the trailer turn signals to work, and the sensors to cancel automatically at the outset and it was not made clear to me that this can only be the case with a Land Rover towbar. If I had known that (or indeed if it's true!) then I would have gone for the LR kit instead as the dealer offered both options and didn't explain the pitfalls on the Witter towbar!!

Mike,

Mine is a Witter Quantum Detatchable with 13pin socket and wiring, the whole lot was fitted including the trailer module, LR specifc wiring kit and the computer update, the trailer light in the dash works and the rear parking sensors automatically cut out when the electric socket is in use!!! Was £495 inclusive so that might give you an idea of what you have had or need?
Hope that helps,
If you need anything more either post or PM me

Cheers

Jay Set low standards and constantly fail to achieve them!!!!!!!!!!!
Sleep Deprivation Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #27947 22nd Sep 2008 5:32 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

MikeW wrote:
He also said that this module can only be fitted to a Land Rover towbar kit (mine is a Witter) and in any case, the module is an extra £150 Shocked

I'm finding it difficult to understand why the LR electrics cannot be fitted any tow bar. The electric kit has its own part number and can be bought on its own. After all it is just a bunch of wires and connectors, it doesn't play any part in the structure of the towbar so I really don't understand why you can't buy the LR electrics and fit them to any towbar. Sounds like a bit of tale to me ... Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #27954 22nd Sep 2008 8:23 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I'd have to agree with that after all I could easily remove my towbar and still leave the electrics on the car and then fit another towbar

Post #27956 22nd Sep 2008 9:25 pm
r055

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

the trailer module is a fancy relay... thats all!!!
dont listen to the stealers - demand to get it fixed £FOC Evil or Very Mad 07 Fl2 GS
88 Galv chassis Landy 110 double cab

Post #27957 22nd Sep 2008 9:29 pm
MikeW

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It's confirmed my thoughts that the story that the LR trailer module having to fit an LR towbar is probably being used to cover the fact that the dealer forgot to include this in the price they quoted and now they don't want to have to supply one. As I made it clear beforehand that I wanted it wiring correctly so everything worked, I think the dealer should pay for the additional costs to put it right!!

I'm taking the FL to my local Witter agent tomorrow as they have offered to take a look. They too think the story from the dealer is not true as they can get the module direct from the same manufacturer who make the LR part!

I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Post #27959 22nd Sep 2008 9:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>