Home > Technical > What engine oil for 2015 SD4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
What engine oil for 2015 SD4

For the oil experts -

The manual says use WSS-M2C934-B SAE 5W-30 - is that the same as C1 ?

Ive got some C3 oil could I use that ? (long life fully synthetic for BMW 330D)

The blurb for C1 and C3 says "for high performance petrol/diesel engines with dpf" . is their really much difference ??

I wonder if the C1, C2 C3 stratification is akin to the drug companies pushing different versions of the same cough remedies for different types of cough - all marketing hype as its fundamentally all the same and makes no difference. Jules

Post #287719 20th Jan 2016 1:46 am
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Here's what the specifications mean:

ACEA C1 oil is suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs).

ACEA C2 engine oil is suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs), this specification is very similar to ACEA C1 but with a marginally higher SAPS limit.

ACEA C3 engine oils are suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs). Very similar to C2 but without fuel-economy requirements.

ACEA C4 spec oil is a top tier diesel engine oil specification for vehicles with diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and Three Way Catalysts (TWC). Oils that meet this specification offer increased life for DPF’s.

What is SAPS?

SAPS stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur. They comprise a significant portion of a motor oil’s additive content. Sulfated ash is not added to oil; it is the result of additives in the oil burning and creating ash. The additives that can produce ash are most commonly used for total base number (TBN), but also help in other areas, like antioxidancy, anti-wear, cleanliness and soot handling. Phosphorus provides anti-wear properties and further antioxidancy, while sulfur contributes antioxidancy, anti-wear properties and engine cleanliness.

SAPS Levels

Given the beneficial properties these additives impart, it’s easy to assume a higher concentration equals a better oil. But higher SAPS levels can be a detriment to expensive exhaust devices, such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and catalysts. The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) realized the importance of using motor oil formulated with precise SAPS levels, and lower limits were established in 2010.

The three different SAPS levels of European motor oils can be confusing, especially when considering the same viscosity motor oil (5W 30) is available in mid- and full-SAPS European Car Formula options.

Post #287733 20th Jan 2016 11:16 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

The Halford deal is for Ford WSS M2C 913 C NOT WSS M2C 934 B. Does this matter ????? MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #287745 20th Jan 2016 12:34 pm
jules

turboextreme wrote:
Here's what the specifications mean:

ACEA C1 oil is suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs).

ACEA C2 engine oil is suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs), this specification is very similar to ACEA C1 but with a marginally higher SAPS limit.

ACEA C3 engine oils are suitable for diesel engines fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPFs). Very similar to C2 but without fuel-economy requirements.

ACEA C4 spec oil is a top tier diesel engine oil specification for vehicles with diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and Three Way Catalysts (TWC). Oils that meet this specification offer increased life for DPF’s.

What is SAPS?

SAPS stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur. They comprise a significant portion of a motor oil’s additive content. Sulfated ash is not added to oil; it is the result of additives in the oil burning and creating ash. The additives that can produce ash are most commonly used for total base number (TBN), but also help in other areas, like antioxidancy, anti-wear, cleanliness and soot handling. Phosphorus provides anti-wear properties and further antioxidancy, while sulfur contributes antioxidancy, anti-wear properties and engine cleanliness.

SAPS Levels

Given the beneficial properties these additives impart, it’s easy to assume a higher concentration equals a better oil. But higher SAPS levels can be a detriment to expensive exhaust devices, such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs) and catalysts. The European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) realized the importance of using motor oil formulated with precise SAPS levels, and lower limits were established in 2010.

The three different SAPS levels of European motor oils can be confusing, especially when considering the same viscosity motor oil (5W 30) is available in mid- and full-SAPS European Car Formula options.

Does C1 oil have a lower SAPS level than C3 ?
Regarding C3 oil , what do you mean by "fuel economy requirements" ?
So it seems it doesnt really matter which I use for my FL2 (C1, C2 or C3) as they are all for diesel engines with DPFs and I could use my good quality C3 oil up first. Jules

Post #287798 20th Jan 2016 6:42 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

tenet wrote:
The Halford deal is for Ford WSS M2C 913 C NOT WSS M2C 934 B. Does this matter ?????
not worth putting a lower grade oil in,it will not be covered under warranty if an engine fault occurs as it would be checked before any warranty work was undertaken!

Post #287813 20th Jan 2016 9:19 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Thank 3Disco. Thumbs Up MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #287871 21st Jan 2016 11:41 am
jules

3disco wrote:
tenet wrote:
The Halford deal is for Ford WSS M2C 913 C NOT WSS M2C 934 B. Does this matter ?????
not worth putting a lower grade oil in,it will not be covered under warranty if an engine fault occurs as it would be checked before any warranty work was undertaken!

What sort of engine fault were you thinking of ?
Does garage send the dirty old engine off for analysis every time something goes wrong with the engine ? Jules

Post #287880 21st Jan 2016 1:46 pm
Boberek

Poland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey

i always use

Motul 8100 X-CLEAN+ 5W30 this is very good and not expensive

or

Motul 8100 ECO-CLEAN 5W30

if you want typical oil

Motul SPECIFIC 913 C 5W30 to Ford Jaguar Land Rover #bvrgarage

Post #287887 21st Jan 2016 2:25 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

[quote="jules"]

3disco wrote:
tenet wrote:

What sort of engine fault were you thinking of ?
Does garage send the dirty old engine off for analysis every time something goes wrong with the engine ?[/quote). An example from a local to me landrover dealership they had a rangerover in with engine failure under warranty landrover asked for a sample of oil from said engine,claim turned down as wrong spec oil used,so you take your choice but I am pretty sure the engine cost more than the better grade oil!if anyone doubts this story I can assure you it is true I have been a friend of the dealership principle for nearly forty years and was told this by him.

Post #287901 21st Jan 2016 7:13 pm
jules

I suppose if a big claim was pending sending off a sample of oil is a small cost if it means the customer foots the bill in the end.

But I just find it hard to believe that there really is need to use all these different oils - modern common rail diesel engines (with last 5 years) are all basically the same (the older VAG PD engines being an exception - the injectors requiring a bespoke oil).

Why does my 2015 SD4 need a different & more expensive oil than the previous TD4 - very similar engines, both have Cats and DPF. Jules

Post #287948 22nd Jan 2016 12:37 am
3disco

United Kingdom 

As far as I know all landrover engines fitted with a dpf need the higher spec oil to protect it,not just the 2015my.

Post #287952 22nd Jan 2016 2:15 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1