Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
3.2 Si6 alternator drive pulley loose - warning for i6 owner

So this happend this morning....

Click image to enlarge

Wife called me 5 minutes after she left the house "car just made a loud whizzing / whirring noise" no warnings on the dash and after she pulled over the sound had disappeared. No idea at the time what had happened.

She got another 15 minutes down the road, called again. Dashboard had lit up light a Christmas Tree, every possible warning under the sun flashing in the instrument cluster; Gearbox Fault, Traction Not Available, HDC Not Available, etc... she had pulled over somewhere, shut it down and it would not start again.

I figured the Haldex had just crapped itself, so I set off to swap cars with her, and deal with it. Off she went in the XJR, I hopped in the LR2 and wow, the battery is completely dead. I have Alex' updated instrument cluster so I was looking at the voltage on the trip computer. 11.6V, then with the lights on 10.5V, hit the starter and it fell to 6V-something before the dash blanked out.

Get it towed home, hook up my 40A power supply and bam! Starts up immediately, no warning messages, no funny noises, just running perfectly. So I leave the battery charging for a bit, come back and start it again, watching the voltage in the instrument cluster it's dropping pretty quickly as the car's running. Not charging and running everything off the battery.

So I have a closer look and the alternator pulley is not spinning. But I can just see the shaft that the pulley mounts to, and it's spinning away. So the pulley on the gearbox for the accessory drive is loose...

Click image to enlarge

Funny that there's no warning on the dash about the charge...

Anyhow, I recognise the problem, but it's a bastard to fix... having just swapped out the alternator only months ago I remember it too well...

So straight in, rip it all off...

Click image to enlarge

Funny how it's much faster/easier the second time...

Click image to enlarge

Alternator, once the intake manifold is gone.

Click image to enlarge

And there's the pulley, the bolt is totally loose not even finger tight. Censored Censored Censored

Click image to enlarge

Not a trace of any threadlocker on the bolt.

Click image to enlarge

And because there is no keyway on the pulley, it relies on the bolt being tight. Awesome engineering Volvo!

So I need to put it back on. And make sure it never comes off again...

Click image to enlarge

Lots of Loctite all over the bolt and in the socket of the pulley. But there is a problem, I can't torque the bolt because I end up turning over the engine Censored I need a strap wrench or something. Quick look through the toolbox and I find an oil filter wrench. PERFECT!!!

Click image to enlarge

This thing is never coming off now, well not without an oxy torch...

So that was that. But now that I had half the engine apart, I suppose I should change the accessory drive belt which was kind of due now-ish anyhow.

Click image to enlarge

This turned out to be an absolute bastard of a job, took me several hours which is kind of appaling after I had everything apart and the alternator pulley sorted in less than an hour. But it's done now...

I also changed the spark plugs, and put in a new thermostat. For me thermostats have a very limited life. I expect them all to fail at 8-10 years or from 160'000kms onwards. Not quite at that point yet but while it's all in bits and in the hope that I never ever have to do this again, it's all done now.

Once it was all back together, I had a revelation.

Since we'd owned this car it always made a bit of a whining sound from the engine, I just figured it was the ridiculous gear drive set up on the Volvo engine. But after fixing the alternator pulley, and replacing the aux drive belt and tensioner pulley, the sound was gone! It just sounded like a nice, quiet, normal engine. I was really shocked!

So listen up. If you have an i6 / Si6 Freelander, or a Volvo with the same engine, and you can here a whining sound from the engine, it's probably this crappy alternator pulley slipping. Get in and fix it, despite the awfulness of the job, you'll be happy with the newly quiet engine, and knowing that you won't find yourself without an alternator. AND I must say, you probably won't have to replace your alternator like I did some months back.

Yes in hindsight I think that the slipping pulley probably contributed to the alternator dying. If it's not spinning fast enough then the voltage regulator is probably going to be working overtime to keep the power up. If it gets overworked...

I never touched this bolt when I swapped out the alternator prior. Why would I?

Lesson learned.... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #287268 15th Jan 2016 11:57 am
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Thanks for sharing this. I'll get mine checked out.

Post #287633 19th Jan 2016 12:24 am
Alpenostrand

Austria 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks a lot for sharing.

I'm one of the few Si6 owners here in Europe, so it's good to know what could go wrong.

Post #287764 20th Jan 2016 1:42 pm
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

I'd have thought that the normal practice is to have a spring washer for the pulley bolt. Perhaps they forget to fit this spring washer during the manufacturing of your car.

Post #287885 21st Jan 2016 2:16 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Blimey - I can't remember the last time I saw a spring washer on anything! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #287886 21st Jan 2016 2:24 pm
paxman

Are you saying they don't use spring washer anymore?

Post #287888 21st Jan 2016 2:44 pm
Cambo

No spring washers were used in the factory on this bolt....

Click image to enlarge
 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #287926 21st Jan 2016 9:43 pm
leesbay

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Good write up. Mines silky smooth at present and super quiet having just had the diff repaired due to common failure if pinion bearing
Will check the alt belt nut for future prevention Thumbs Up - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, there will be some bargains out there!

Post #287933 21st Jan 2016 10:05 pm
paxman

Thank you cambo for taking time explanining. Hopefully this problem is only for the 3.2.

Post #287934 21st Jan 2016 10:13 pm
jlcrompton

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm just sat waiting for the breakdown company to recover me. Snapped belt at 101,856 miles. Luckily I was in a traffic jam and saw the smoke coming from the engine bay so pulled over as soon as I could.
How much of a job is it to fix and how much did parts cost.? I6 WITH GAS CONVERSION
HST BODY KIT
OSRAM LED DRIVING FOGS
CARS LOOKING GOOOOD!

Post #299992 3rd Jun 2016 4:17 pm
Cambo

Aw man... that's some bad luck.

The belt and pulleys are not so expensive, less than 100 quid but if you are paying a workshop to do the replacement you might be up for a good 6-8hrs labour.

The whole intake needs to come off, then you have to unbolt the powering steering pump and AC compressor to get the belt on. And there are a couple of bolts which are real bastards to get at.

While it's all apart get the alternator off and tighten the bolt on that pulley.

There are procedures in the workshop manual if you want to do it yourself.

The belt is scheduled as needing replacement at 104'000miles (168'000kms), with yours popping at 101'000 i'm kind of glad I changed mine prematurely... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #300010 4th Jun 2016 12:07 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Steve D wrote:
Blimey - I can't remember the last time I saw a spring washer on anything!

Spring washers can sometimes loosen bolts so they don't use them. Better to design the connection properly. Failing that use some Loctite. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #300012 4th Jun 2016 1:04 am
jlcrompton

Had my mate whos had a look at it and it looks like the air con compressor has seized.
looking at getting one from the scrap year.
Does anyone know if a 2.2 air con will fit? I6 WITH GAS CONVERSION
HST BODY KIT
OSRAM LED DRIVING FOGS
CARS LOOKING GOOOOD!

Post #300046 4th Jun 2016 3:49 pm
Cambo

There looks to be four different versions of a/c compressor in the parts catalogue, I don't think the 2.2 and the 3.2 will use the same one.

You might get lucky with one from an XC90 or other Volvo that runs the 3.2 (or maybe even the turbo 3.0)

I'd also look at sourcing from the US as they were all 3.2's and they tend to be relatively cheap for car parts, maybe check rockauto.com if they have rebuilt ones? When I was looking for an alternator there were rebuilt ones for the 3.2 much cheaper than new prices. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #300066 4th Jun 2016 11:25 pm
jlcrompton

So car is now all fixed.
Found a brand new aftermarket compressor on ebay for £270 and a new Ford condenser for £100.
Had a mate charge me for labour, Aux belt and air con re-gas £350, not a bad price for the whole job I reckon.
The compressor was bone dry, not a drop of oil in it causing the problem. I6 WITH GAS CONVERSION
HST BODY KIT
OSRAM LED DRIVING FOGS
CARS LOOKING GOOOOD!

Post #302657 13th Jul 2016 9:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>