Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LED side lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black
LED side lights?

Out of interest has anyone replaced the front side lights with LED equivalent? Was looking at them last night and notice the slight yellowness when compared to the H7? halogen main and dipped beams, be good to swappem out if a suitable LED replacement (or non yellowish standard) bulb exisits?

If you have the adaptive xeon headlights Bow down it must make the standard side lights look very yellow.. a bit naff perhpas?

Stevea

Post #26812 6th Sep 2008 5:56 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Haven't done it on the LR2, but have them on my Audi and they look perfect against the xenons, but they're a bit too blue or purple (dependent on the type) in my opinion against the standard halogan headlights.

Think I might have to go and take a look at swapping the sidelights on the LR2 and Porsche now, as they must look a bit yellow aginst the xenons..... Thumbs Up Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #26838 7th Sep 2008 6:09 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hello guys, be careful with LED lights on the outside of your Freely 2 as this is NOT street-legal under the present EU-regulation. Audi and some other brands have a special permit to use LED-lighting, and in mid terms this will also come for our Freely.
If you want to match the colour of your 5W side-bulbs with your H7 or Xenon main lights, then go and buy the blue W5W lamps from Phillips, which are approved and legal. Even thought they look blue they provide a very white light similar to Xenon.

YF

Post #26839 7th Sep 2008 9:53 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

YF whilst you are right about the LED bulbs not being legal I am pretty certain that there is still no strict criteria for LED lighting on road vehicles as the current legislation relates to filament type bulbs and not LED's. My info goes back a few years when busses and Range Rover started using them and at that time they were basically reading between the lines as there were no rules specifically saying LED's were not allowed.

In the years I ran my Audi with aftermarket LED bulbs I never had any issues with yearly tests (Not that i would expect any) or with the police and for the limited use the sidelights are I can't see any major safety issues with LED sidelights, unless you do drive with only sidelights on in the evenings. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #26845 7th Sep 2008 3:31 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I've just had Audi-esque LEDs fitted to my RRS and the sidelight in the adaptive unit has also been replaced with an LED. Job required removal of the headlamp units for 3 days as the background to the light unit was also painted Stornoway.

More pictures here
https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post191799.html#191799 How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #28998 13th Oct 2008 11:41 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Sorry to totally disagree with you Tim, but I think that looks awful. Evil or Very Mad How can anybody thnk of copying an Audi of all things Sheep
I hate the Audi Christmas-tree lighting and to infect a stately Land Rover with the same disease is a real big pity. Mad I for one hope that it not contagious and will not infect more LR’s. Mad 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #29000 13th Oct 2008 12:08 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Each to their own Andy, as of 2009 all new European cars will have them or have their headlights adapted to be daylight running lights.
Anyway mine only come on when the sidelights are on, so you don't see them all the time unless I drive with the side/headlights intentionally on. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #29001 13th Oct 2008 12:12 pm
AndyC

We have had daylight headlights on in Scandinavia for years, which has never been a problem or the need for Christmas-tree lighting. The nearest I have seen to this earlier is the decretive lighting Turkish and other middle eastern lorry drivers hang up all over their vehicles - Yuck. Mad
In fact, if all cars are to have this type of lighting in future, I think it will cause more distraction on the roads than a simple relay fitted that’s keeps the normal headlights on at all times. Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #29004 13th Oct 2008 12:43 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Somebody here recently calculated that having the normal headlights on all the time was going to cost the motorist some horrific amount in extra fuel burned to make up for the extra load on the alternator/battery.
Strange then that running the RRS with it's chiller box between the front seats running makes no noticable increase in fuel consumption and I'm sure that running a fridge most of the time puts a bigger load on the electrics than running with the headlights on all the time! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #29006 13th Oct 2008 12:56 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Somebody here recently calculated that having the normal headlights on all the time was going to cost the motorist some horrific amount in extra fuel burned to make up for the extra load on the alternator/battery.

Yes I saw a few stories based on that claim, which I have to say I thought was utter cr4p. Differences in driving styyles and even the odd heavy footed race away from the lights will have far more effect on fuel usage. I don't even see the supposed dramitic increase in fuel consumption with air-con running, I have achieved plenty of 40mpg tankfuls all with air-con on.

I don't think the close up picture of you light mod does it justice, that's not the way anyone would normally see the lights, there's an RR around here with a similar mod, looks fine to me!

And by the way I'm all in favour of daytime running lights. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #29013 13th Oct 2008 3:21 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Here's another picture with the full effect.................................

If I continue like this I'll have to start a subscription to MaxPower for more ideas How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #29024 13th Oct 2008 6:03 pm
AndyC

Please no more photos Sad - looks quite silly in that last photo Sad
Nice grill though Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #29025 13th Oct 2008 6:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

well for the count Thumbs Up

I like the lights Tim Very Happy

I was sat in my office looking at my lights thinking could we get some leds in the FL2 lights, but not sure if the shape would work with them

Personally I think they look different in a good way Cool Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #29028 13th Oct 2008 6:57 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Thumbs Up for me they look great take no notice of grumpy AndyC he has no taste comes from living in Norway think the cold has affect his head. Rolling with laughter Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #29029 13th Oct 2008 7:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Tim, I was following the thread on the RRS forums a few weeks ago - personally, i think they look great Bow down and would jump at the chance if they had something similar for the FL2... (sorry AndyC - i also think the Audi LED's look pretty smart too...)

Out of interest Tim, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did they set you back - somewhere in the region of £400 / £500?

Good Job Thumbs Up 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #29033 13th Oct 2008 7:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>