Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Any central heating boiler experts on here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Any central heating boiler experts on here?

I need a bit of advice about my Potterton profile 60e. Smile Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #283773 8th Dec 2015 6:12 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I can try but giving an answer over the net may be won't help but fire away or maybe not in your case. Whistle

Post #283786 8th Dec 2015 9:12 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Thanks Archie. The problem I'm having is that it either sometimes fails to fire up when I turn the thermostat up or it starts, runs for about 5 minutes then goes out. Turning the thermostat down, waiting a few minutes and then turning the thermostat up gets it to start and run normally and it can run for days before going on the blink again. Trouble is it doesn't do it all the time but I'm betting it'll do it over Christmas! I phoned our local big plumbers/central heating engineers to book a visit but the unhelpful receptionist said that they wouldn't come out to an intermittent fault on a boiler and I should phone back when it packs up completely! I had it fitted in our house around twenty years ago, I've never had it serviced and it has broken down only twice, once at around 3 years and once again at around 7 years both with the same fault - the PCB - although on both those occasions it packed up completely. I'm just wondering if it's the same fault again starting to appear and whether to just buy a new PCB and fit it myself. They're just a plug and play unit aren't they? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #283799 8th Dec 2015 11:35 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

I've usually been able to find an answer to technical woes here http://www.diynot.com/diy/

or specific for your 60e http://www.diynot.com/diy/search/2474918/?...;c[node]=7

Post #283809 9th Dec 2015 8:24 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Do you or have you had it serviced ...???? Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #283814 9th Dec 2015 9:43 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Speaking as someone who earns a good part of their living in the motor trade servicing cars and teaching others how to service cars, I'm ashamed to say I haven't. I did once ask a so-called plumber what was involved in servicing a boiler and he said it just involved vacuuming soot out of it and adjusting the jets to get a nice blue flame. I've always had a nice colour flame on it so I've left it well alone. It's not like a car where you change oils and filters etc, is it? Perhaps I'm now paying the price? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #283821 9th Dec 2015 10:21 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I had a similar problem with my boiler. Turned out to be the fan that was on its way out. The flame was getting starved of air if the burner was too high which is why if run lower it was OK.

Have you tried taking the casing off and seeing if it makes any difference or if there is any sucking sound?

Only real solution is to get someone independent out who won't try and just sell you a new boiler. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #283832 9th Dec 2015 11:16 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Yes I was going to say is it a fan assisted flue?

When the boiler starts up the fan comes on and theres a flow detector in the flue outlet that tells the boiler, ok the fans working you can now fire up, if the detector doesnt send that message the boiler will shut down again.

On mine which is a Vailant the flow detector works from a small tube thats inserted into the flue outlet from the bolier and connected to the sensor by a small rubber tube.
If this tube becomes fouled up or blocked the sensor doesnt work properly and becomes intermittant.
Mine did get blocked with dust, after some building work etc, and by pulling the rubber tube off and giving it a blow through cleaned it out and cured it.

Post #283835 9th Dec 2015 11:46 am
TKMKarter

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

I have a 20 year old Potterton Prima F which started to go on the blink 2 years ago. The fan would run, then stop, then run, stop, run, for about 10 minutes then would fire up.
Eventually it would not fire up at all.
Searched help forums and was told to point a hot air gun at the PCB when it was trying to fire up.
Did this and it fired up straight away.
This indicated dry soldered joints in the PCB.
Took pics of the PCB and wiring, stripped it out of the boiler and set to resoldering anything that looked like a dodgy joint and put it all back and has fired up perfectly since.

Post #283851 9th Dec 2015 12:47 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Chuckalicious wrote:
I had a similar problem with my boiler. Turned out to be the fan that was on its way out. The flame was getting starved of air if the burner was too high which is why if run lower it was OK.

Have you tried taking the casing off and seeing if it makes any difference or if there is any sucking sound?

Only real solution is to get someone independent out who won't try and just sell you a new boiler.

Taking the case of is highly illegal.

Post #283865 9th Dec 2015 2:13 pm
s14tra

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

i would strongly recommend calling out a gas safe registered engineer to sort this issue out.please do not go tampering inside the boiler.you could potentialy put yourself and others in danger.i have attended many installations that have put peoples lives at risk through unqualified indivduals tying a quick fix.you cannot put a price on life.please pay for someone qualified to attend and rectify the fault.this is not a dig at you.just my advise as an engineer,good luck Thumbs Up

Post #283868 9th Dec 2015 2:23 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

SYFL2 wrote:
Chuckalicious wrote:

Only real solution is to get someone independent out who won't try and just sell you a new boiler.

Taking the case of is highly illegal.

illegal, what makes you think that?

Iain

Post #283876 9th Dec 2015 3:34 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

taking the case off isn't illegal, I don't believe even working on the gas side of your own boiler is illegal.

Working on others gas supply I think might be illegal however if your not qualified and registered.

either way, its not advisable to start playing around with gas appliances unless you are
a) current and competent in your skills
b) know what your doing as its not a case of trial and error.......

Post #283877 9th Dec 2015 3:45 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

As long as you know what a Corgi is youre ok. Laughing

Knowing what youre doing and not doing it by trial and error obviously doesnt apply to fixing a car.

Post #283889 9th Dec 2015 6:06 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Steve D wrote:
Thanks Archie. The problem I'm having is that it either sometimes fails to fire up when I turn the thermostat up or it starts, runs for about 5 minutes then goes out. Turning the thermostat down, waiting a few minutes and then turning the thermostat up gets it to start and run normally and it can run for days before going on the blink again. Trouble is it doesn't do it all the time but I'm betting it'll do it over Christmas! I phoned our local big plumbers/central heating engineers to book a visit but the unhelpful receptionist said that they wouldn't come out to an intermittent fault on a boiler and I should phone back when it packs up completely! I had it fitted in our house around twenty years ago, I've never had it serviced and it has broken down only twice, once at around 3 years and once again at around 7 years both with the same fault - the PCB - although on both those occasions it packed up completely. I'm just wondering if it's the same fault again starting to appear and whether to just buy a new PCB and fit it myself. They're just a plug and play unit aren't they?

It could be one or more issues,part blocked pilot giving a cold flame so the burner shuts down,the burner its self may be part blocked causing the flame to lift off looking online at the manual it looks very similar to the Solo.The best option is to have a proper service with a gas registered engineer who should remove the burner and pilot (the pilot hole is so very small and prone to blockage)If it is done correctly you will be amazed how much dirt will be in there and also the flue ways,sorry as I cannot give you a direct answer as I am not in front of it

Post #283894 9th Dec 2015 6:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>