Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mmmmmmmm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 

So what is the Bluefin unit? Is it something physical that plugs in and can be removed and reverted back to standard or is it a reprogramming job that remains detectable? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #283285 3rd Dec 2015 1:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

a modual that you plug in, it uploads the remap to the ecu, then you put it away till you wish to revert back to the OEM map for say it yearly service Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #283293 3rd Dec 2015 1:53 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

So does it come loaded with the OE tune as well as the Superchips tune? Otherwise how do you reload the OE tune?

Post #283298 3rd Dec 2015 2:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

it arrives, you unbox it and plug it in the car for it to download the cars map, connect to the PC, send bluefin the OEM map and they tune it and send it back, Plug unit in to PC to load it up on to it and then it has the OEM and the remap to allow you to swap between them both Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #283306 3rd Dec 2015 3:05 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Stuartc wrote:
Mav71 wrote:
£225 plus £6.50 postage. I am out of warranty now so that's why I am doing it.

The reason I delayed was partly because of warranty, but Inwas under the impression that ECU flashes on 2013MY cars are logged. But this apparently isn't the case!

So I should have done it ages ago!

As a generalisation, most dealers don't have the knowledge or the ability to really find out anyhow.
REALLY!
I think most of the time we credit them with knowing more about the vehicle.
THEY DONT!
Particularly when it comes to the technology aspects of the vehicle -
Plug it in, doesn't say anything wrong or can't be done - there isn't anything wrong/we can't do anything, hand over your cash! Thud
I seen this first hand!

That is very true. An LR service manager once told me that they would need to have reason to look. Also Land Rovers are not re-mapped to make them performance cars, so the likely hood of a failure is remote.

The 2010> TD4 150 and SD4 190 are mechanically identical have passed durability tests at a figure of around 220/230bhp. This ensures perfect durability during its working life, on any fuel and any climate whilst in standard tune.

So this allows a region of safety margin. All a re-map is doing is using this margin which has been allowed from the manufacturer. Treat the car with respect and you'll never have a problem.

eD4 is also identical but has smaller injectors.

The original TD4 can only be taken up to about 185 in standard form as the injectors duty cycle is maxed out at around this figure. The turbo is also a lower spec than the later engine.

Stick an SD4 turbo and injectors to the original TD4 160 and you'll see 200+ Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #283311 3rd Dec 2015 3:19 pm
Mav71

LR NUT wrote:
Don't know if one of our dealers was scaremongering me but they said that the first thing they check for if a car comes in with a engine related fault is if it's been remapped. If it has been remapped then it does not take long to find out either they said!

It is scare mongering Ed. A lot of dealers simply don't like tuned cars.

On my last FL2 , my dealer knew about my re-map from day one, and they also told me that if something fails, they have to prove that the re-map caused it. They simply won't do this unless they have strong evidence. It would cost money to find out and if they can't prove it, they have to pay out.

This is actually stated in the service/handbook for the cars.

blacktiger wrote:
That may well be the case if someone takes it in claiming a warranty repair. For general servicing a stealer "technician" doesn't have the time or inclination to look into things too deeply as he has a limited time in which to do his service.
The Bluefin device would be a perfect solution to a warranty situation as, going by what has been said on here, it lets you reload the original tune before you take it to the dealer.

That's the idea! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #283314 3rd Dec 2015 3:22 pm
Mav71

Cambo wrote:
In the past it wasn't so easy to tell if a JLR vehicle had been remapped or tuned.

But in the last 5 years (or thereabouts) aftermarket tunes flashed into the ECU leave a telltale code of P167F-00 "Non-OEM Calibration" and this code is virtually impossible to erase, even if the original factory file get's re-flashed into the ECU.

I don't think dealers really care about it, they get paid/reimbursed from the manufacturer for warranty work. I think JLR does care (why else would they include such a DTC, it wasn't always there) but they'd also have to walk a fine line of legal action & negative publicity.

Exactly right. Any failure has to be proven to have been caused by the modification.

Steve D wrote:
So what is the Bluefin unit? Is it something physical that plugs in and can be removed and reverted back to standard or is it a reprogramming job that remains detectable?

Www.superchips.co.uk Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #283315 3rd Dec 2015 3:23 pm
Mav71

Well its all done and installed!

Simple as usual and took only a few minutes to download and install in the car. The power delivery is incredibly smooth and progressive. You can for sure make good progress without anywhere near the amount of throttle you need from the standard map.

It almost feels unimpressive until you look at the speedo! It climbs at a rapid rate of knots without really feeling it.

The nice thing about it, is that it isn't like a car re-map which comes in with a wallop, what I like about what Superchips have done is keep the drivability of the Freelander 2 and amplified it.

Over taking is very impressive and gets you by the obstacle with incredible ease. But when driving at normal town speeds, you would not know that anything has really changed, expect one thing! It is smoother and more responsive. Also quieter as you can achieve the same amount of acceleration speed without the revs of the standard car.

If your after a massive torque wrenching wallop of a re-map, then you will be disappointed. If your after an overall improvement in mid range torque and drivability then you won't be disappointed.

With regards to MPG, time will tell, I will monitor it over the next few hundred miles and see if it has gained any improvement. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #283899 9th Dec 2015 7:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Nearly a month on now Matt how is the car behaved since Thumbs Up Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #286465 7th Jan 2016 8:16 pm
Mav71

Hasn't missed a beat. But to be honest I never really drive the car quickly, and very rarely drive it a all. So you could argue that the whole thing has been pointless as the Mrs doesn't drive it fast either.

I wanted to see if there were improvements in economy, and to be honest, I haven't noticed any change in mpg.

It is very good, but I think you need to be the kind of driver that uses the extra power a lot of the time. I simply don't?! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286628 9th Jan 2016 8:41 pm
EYorkshire

Would be interested when you next caravan if there's a noticeable difference in pulling power, off the mark etc Thumbs Up

Post #286635 9th Jan 2016 9:15 pm
Mav71

I can answer that now as I bought the Caravan home at the weekend. It feesla bout the same because you don't Need to use quite as much throttle.

I would say it makes it a little more effortless rather than loads more low down grunt. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286823 11th Jan 2016 4:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12